• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Husband wants metal detector, I have no clue what I'm looking at.

metal_wifey

Greetings!

My husband has not-so-subtly hinted that he would like a metal detector for Christmas. He has stated that his preference is the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 705 ( which is not happening because I cannot afford it)! Therefore, I am seriously considering the 505. The problem is, I can't find any to purchase here in Australia, and to ship this product, considering the Aussie dollar and shipping costs, this drives the price up to around $500! I am alternatively thinking of the minelab 305 which I can find locally for around $400.

Any thoughts/feedback/advice on these products and where I could find these products at reasonable prices (that would ship to Australia)? Though my husband is a complete metal detecting novice, he tends to excel in proficiency when it comes to gadgets, so I want something that is not too simple, but yet something that is good for beginners (a complete paradox, I realise). Any advice?

Thanks!
Metal_wifey

Garret Ace 250 or 350 is also a good first detector.

You can find heeps of advice on google if you search "bounty hunter 505 vs (other metal detector)"

Also you could call your local metal detector people and they will advise you what to get.

I would help you if I knew more about every detector but good luck!

...Bounty Hunter Pioneer 705...

Is it just me or did she mean a Minelab 705 (i.e. X-Terra) :?:

This was bothering me when I first read it and had to finally "Google" it and it never showed up... THEN... it hit me... it's a Minelab "number":roll: Anyways, moving on...

I don't know TOO much about the Minelab or BH, but will say this and, hopefully without sounding like a snob and/or a know-it-all, but I don't know if $500 is justified for a BH505 if that is the case:?: I have a friend who has a BH Pioneer 505 and I like the thing.

Also, keep in mind that since he was originally looking at a VDI (Visual Display Indicator) type detector then the Tesoro's (AND I'M JUST SAYING PEOPLE... NOT knocking Tesoro... I've been wanting to get one myself) is out of the picture since most of the Tesoro's are "beep beep" only machines without a "screen". Only one Tesoro out there with a "screen", but that is upto the person on WHAT he/she wants the screen to even look like or display.

Lots of things to take into consideration here? So, given the fact that he was thinking about a 705 that has a screen and that he tends to be a techy type, then at least it narrows it down to that. Now it is just a matter of "price" range? THUS...

IMHO, FWIW, I would lean towards the Minelab X-Terra 305 if it can be had for roughly $400;)

Again, just MHO.

either way... HH \_ to you and to you all

Try some of the dealers in here, they will usually hook you up with a great deal. I'd suggest a Fisher F4 or a Garrett 350 if you think he will like the hobby. It's always best to buy the best you can afford.

I have a bounty hunter 505.It works. But in my opinion not any better than an ace 250. I think he'd probably be happier with a Minelab 305. And if something happens to the BH shipping for warranty work is gonna be expensive. But buying detectors you may need him to drop some hints. I'm not funny. I'd take used for Christmas if it meant getting a better detector.

I would lean towards the Minelab X-Terra 305 if it can be had for roughly $400;)
+1
If he wants a unit that he can take coin and jewelry hunting or go to the gold fields with, then any of the Minelab Xterra line would be good.
Since Minelab is an Aussie company, shipping/import fees/etc are a non-issue, and would get you the most for your $.

I'd say to look at some youtube videos of metal detecting in Australia, look at the machines they are using, that way you get a good idea of what's best for your soil conditions and you can comment on their video and get an idea of what they think.

I know someone on here is from new Zealand and was considering importing to sell machines..don't know if they did but that could be an easier import for you...the best option of course is if someone is going abroad to pick one up and bring it back...saves a packet on importing costs and local taxes.

Some machines might sound great on here but in Australian soil might be virtually useless...best to study for your local area...there are thousands of videos of Australian MD'ers....hope that helps you decide and not buy a 'closet queen' (something that gathers dust and moths)

Myself, like many others, went with the Fisher F2. There’s a terribly big long thread about it here started by respected member DIGGER27, and it alone convinced me it was a great machine.

Terribly big long thread here

After I got mine and used it a while, I wrote my own glowing review for Yahoo. Although the Fisher F2 is considered a beginner detector, it can *definitely* find the good stuff. DIGGER27 has a whole slew of gold rings nabbed by his F2, and I found a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar at a ball park.

My glowing review on Yahoo here

If you have more money than about $200 to spend on a metal detector, I’d check into the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro by Garrett--both are doing well out there. If a screen/numbers/bells and whistles aren’t important to you, check out the Tesoro line. The Vaquero is very popular, lightweight, and DEEP. Real deep. Too deep, some say. :D

A great review site for the Tesoro Vaquero here:

A great Tesoro Vaquero review site

Welcome to the forum! :)

F2. Add in a great handheld pinpointer in the Garretts ProPointer. That's basically a $300 gift yet that pointer is necessary to totally enjoy metal detecting. I am speaking very honestly. I woulda quit this hobby back in 2010 if I had not added in a good(GOOD) pinpointer after the first detector. I ain't joking. If you get the BH machine...getting the Garretts pinpointer at the same time will really get him happy. Don't pay retail on any machine and pointer. Retail is rediculous on anything The sponser dealers here will save you lots! I hope that this helps.

You are a good wife.

What he said!

Just a thought. What about buying him a subscription to a detecting publication, or even a single issue, and then writing a letter explaining that you had a difficult time picking one out that you thought he would like so you want him to help you pick it out so you know he is getting what he wants. You could even suggest a budget you had in mind. My wife did this for me when I was shopping for a deer rifle and it really worked out well because the rifle she probably would have bought wouldn't be legal for taking deer in KS.

One thing that I will suggest, when you set a budget or order a detector, however you do it, factor in enough to buy a pin pointer of some kind. Without one it is really easy to get frustrated. A lot of people swear by the Garrett Pro Pointer for $120 or so but many of us get by with less expensive models that seem to get the job done.

Good Luck

Being Australia, maybe he's wanting the Minelab Xterra 705 for gold prospecting? If so, then any of the other units are not as well suited for such purposes. Detectors for gold prospecting are in a whole different class than the others that have been suggested so far. Would be good to know what his primary interest is.

And yes….I agree you're a good wife for doing the research and trying to fulfill his wish! Cheers.

Minelab...

Since you are where they make Minelabs? Your best bet in my opinion is the Xterra 505! As best I remember the "305" Can't use the 3Khz coils, and The 705 will be above your budget amount! Given all of your variables, I think the Xterra series Minelabs are your best bet. I would avoid any MD that doesn't Ground Balance, I suspect ground conditions vary widely there?... Good Luck and Happy Hunting....Pat

Since you are where they make Minelabs? Your best bet in my opinion is the Xterra 505! As best I remember the "305" Can't use the 3Khz coils, and The 705 will be above your budget amount! Given all of your variables, I think the Xterra series Minelabs are your best bet. I would avoid any MD that doesn't Ground Balance, I suspect ground conditions vary widely there?... Good Luck and Happy Hunting....Pat
+1 mostly, but from a somewhat different perspective.

A 705 has a specific Prospector mode (among other features) that would be a distinct advantage, but it is out of range pricewise. True about the 305 not being able to run 3kHz, but unlike it's predecessor the 30, it can run 18.75kHz, which would be the preferred frequency for prospecting regardless of which Xterra you have.

The 305 is an entry level machine despite many of it's advanced features compared to others in it's price range. By virtue of it being an entry level unit, it has it's limitations. A 505 would be a better more capable machine overall, as would the 705, but...

Since all Xterra accessories/coils/covers/etc...are interchangeable, if he decides to upgrade to something like a 705 later, he can take all of his favorite accumulated goodies with him. If a 305 fits the budget, then I say it's a good way for him to get his feet wet w/o breaking the bank or throwing money away.

Wow, thank you all so much for your detailed and thoughtful replies!! I'm so excited to have some personal anecdotes/expertise with which to continue my hunt for the detector that will hopefully be *just right* for him.

Also, thank you to the kind souls praising my wifeliness... I just cross my fingers that he'll feel the same way :)

I may post back with more questions/observations. At the moment I am looking at the fisher f2 and the minelab, based on the advice from you kind folk.

Id go with a garret at pro and dont forget a garret pro pointer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Wow, thank you all so much for your detailed and thoughtful replies!! I'm so excited to have some personal anecdotes/expertise with which to continue my hunt for the detector that will hopefully be *just right* for him.

Also, thank you to the kind souls praising my wifeliness... I just cross my fingers that he'll feel the same way :)

I may post back with more questions/observations. At the moment I am looking at the fisher f2 and the minelab, based on the advice from you kind folk.

haven't tried the xterra but i did get the F2 as my first MD, its a great machine for the money, if you go with the F2 i recommend getting the 2coil package from a sponsor of the forum(I would recommend Bart from BigBoys Hobbies) it will run you about $215 or so and comes with the 4" sniper coil and the stock 8" coil and the fisher hand held pinpointer, the fisher pointer will get him buy until he gets/you get him the Garrett Pro Pointer($127) or the Minelab Profind25($160) both are great pin pointers. Many prefer the Garrett but they have had alot of issues with it breaking over this past year, the minelab is just as good and i haven't seen any reports about it breaking the second time it gets turned on, bit over priced but its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom