Metal detecting stores in Texas

Roggix

Hi
I'm going to Texas next month together with my Brother. Two weeks holiday. Will travel around in the area of Dallas- Austin- El Paso. We are looking for local stores because we want to buy new detectors. I want to buy Garrett products. I guess there is no local store at the Garrett factory in Garland? Found a lot of websites offering sale, but most of them do not have local store. Anyone here who can give me an advise?

I checked the Garrett website. They have a Dealer Locator feature in which you enter the zip code. Garland, TX has several. Try 75054(Garland), 75201(Dallas). or 73301(Austin) or 79901(El Paso).

MIKE HARDIN
Call for appointment
Garland, TX - 75042
Tel: 214-557-2741
Distance: 3 miles

EXTREME DEFENSIVE
11333 PAGEMILL RD
Dallas, TX - 75243
Tel: 800-527-4609
Distance: 7 miles

HobbyTown USA
8041 Walnut Hill Ln, Suite 870
Dallas, TX - 75231
Tel: 214-987-4744
Distance: 8 miles

Maloney Industries
6109 Grantham Dr.
Rockwall, TX - 75087
Tel: 214-707-8293
Distance: 10 miles

Ed's Lawn Service
15307 Midway Rd.
Addison, TX - 75001
Tel: 972-386-3999
Distance: 13 miles

The Garrett Factory has a small museum that is open to the public. You can buy directly from Garrett, but I don't know if you can buy at the factory. Call them, they are absolutely great to deal with.

Thank you very much for helping out. I'm sure we will find what we are looking for!

You can buy all the GARRETT products in their showroom/museum. Been there many times. I even made a sale for them to a customer. They gave me a free hat and the book of my choice. The only problem is you will pay more for a detector at their factory than any dealer. Don't understand it but that is how Garrett rolls.

Garrett would rather you buy from the dealers rather then them. I'd suggest buying them online from one of the forum sponsors since you will save sales tax, they all offer free shipping, and will give you a much better discount than most brick and mortar stores. I paid significantly less than MSRP for all my detectors on here, MUCH less than any local stores were selling them for.

Thank you all for clear answers. I had a feeling of that the prices at the factory could be higher than buying online. I will follow your advice. Have a Nice day!

Your welcome.
It was explained to me that Garrett requires dealers list Garrett products at MSRP. But if you call or email you can get a better price.

I recommend Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Bought my AT Pro from him.

Actually, dealers are required to not advertise for less than Garrett's MAP (minimum advertised price), not MSRP. The reason that the factory charges list price is to protect their dealers from having to compete with the factory.

In any event, it would be advised to definitely stop by the Garrett showroom if you get to the Dallas area. You can view the nice displays of finds and check out all of their products while there. I suggest you contact the factory, and try to set up a meeting time with Rusty Curry from Customer Service. Depending on timing, you might get a factory tour as well.

Buy From a sponsor

Hi
I'm going to Texas next month together with my Brother. Two weeks holiday. Will travel around in the area of Dallas- Austin- El Paso. We are looking for local stores because we want to buy new detectors. I want to buy Garrett products. I guess there is no local store at the Garrett factory in Garland? Found a lot of websites offering sale, but most of them do not have local store. Anyone here who can give me an advise?

On Friendly, we have a lot of good sponsors that can help you out, free shipping ect. Give us a try,

First, let me give you and your brother a pre-holiday welcome to Texas. I am in the Dallas area. I chose Garrett products because they are legendary in customer service, and I can literally drive any product over to them for repair rather than wait on shipping time and costs.

To the others who suggested buying through our sponsors, I would normally agree. But these fellows are coming to visit Texas from Norway. I suspect our sponsors might have to charge for shipping to Norway. ;)

I hope you guys enjoy your visit and you might get to see some of those violent supercell thunderstorms that mother nature dishes out at this time of the year. They are a wonder to behold, and hopefully they are in open country, not destroying peoples lives and property as happened to my son and his family exactly one year ago today around 7:49 PM.

Feel free to Private Message me if you have any questions during your visit.

Papa

Yes, that's correct. Shipping to Norway and tax means approx. the same prices as the Norwegian dealers offers. Recently the dollar also became more worth against Norwegian krone. Therefore we will buy when we come over in May. Have planned a long trip in Texas, New Mexico and Kansas. 10 years since last visit. My Brother and me are very fond of the nature you have and we are very interested in the history. Looking forward to have this trip. Never been in Texas before. Thanks for the answers guys! Really Nice of you.

You may want to research places to hunt before you come here. Most historic sites in Texas will be off limits to metal detecting, but adjacent private properties are a possibility. Perhaps some local hunters can help you with places to hunt.

Yes, we have the same situation in Norway. Keep away from registrated historical places. Most of us visit private properties after a talk with landowners. Parks, beaches and so on is open for everyone to go seeking. I have read a little bit of the laws in US and that they vary depends in wich state. Maybe ghost towns are open for metal detecting? If the state owns the ground?

I hunted part of a "GHOST TOWN". They aren't always what you think, what you see on Television. The one I hunted, part of, had no building remaining, and was on private property. The owner, a corporation gave me permission, but the person leasing the land would not allow me onto the part I wanted to hunt. He had cattle on it, and said he was afraid they would hurt me. He was being a little over cautious, but his decision. The part I did hunt, behind the general store, was very hard to hunt. It was covered with tall weeds and sampling trees that were so close it was impossible to swing the coil.

Texas state parks are normally off limits to hunting, even on the beach part of state parks. County and Municipalities rules differ from one to the other. In my area, all municipal and County Parks are open to hunting. I make an effort to leave thinks a little better than before, by removing trash. Not just what I dig, but some trash left by others. Doesn't hurt if someone sees you removing it either.

Private land is iffy. The further from the cities, the more likely you are to get permission. The U.S. is sue happy, and many land owners are scared of being sued. If you have a Liability Waiver form (available online) and offer it, your chances go up. Some people will be convinced you are going to find vast riches and say no. In the county next to mine (Matagorda) I hunted with a friend in a very small Danish town named Danevang. We were never told no, and a couple of people came back with other places for us to hunt.

Thank You very much for information! A greatful help for us. Always good to know a little bit of how You do hunting in Your area. I live in an area up north of Oslo. A lot of fields and farmers here. People have lived here for ages. I'm a member of a local metal detecting club. Last week one of the members did a great found just 10km from here. He dug up a part of a viking sword! Sometimes it really happens :) Also very common to find coins back to the ages 1600-1700th century. Still I have left to find something huge, but I'm quite new to this hobby. The interest in Norway grows bigger every year now. People in all ages like this hobby :)

This time of the year...with the rain we've had in N. Texas....your ghost towns will be a knee high mess of undergrowth.

Back
Top Bottom