6×10 eclipse dd depth?

cliff1992

I just got the 6×10 eclipse dd coil for my mxt pro and noticed a big loss in depth compared to the 12" 300 coil. I was wondering if anyone still found 1800s coins with it, or are most out of range for this smaller coil? I know ground is different everywhere and objects sink more or less depending on it ,but just in general, how much do you miss with the loss of depth on the smaller coil? I bought it mostly in case I get into a bad trashy area I couldn't detect with the 12" coil.

The 6x10 is limited to basically 6 inches, even on a V3i. I can find more stuff with the 4x6, and oddly, a bit deeper.

I prefer the 6x8 SEF, much better depth and fairly good coverage area. I am also a fan of the whites 5.3. most of the silver around here is 6 inches or less deep. Separation is the key to success in trashy areas.

6x10 works good for beach hunting......unless you try to push it under water. It is a floater:shock: My favorites are the SEF coils.

I just got the 6×10 eclipse dd coil for my mxt pro and noticed a big loss in depth compared to the 12" 300 coil. I was wondering if anyone still found 1800s coins with it, or are most out of range for this smaller coil? I know ground is different everywhere and objects sink more or less depending on it ,but just in general, how much do you miss with the loss of depth on the smaller coil? I bought it mostly in case I get into a bad trashy area I couldn't detect with the 12" coil.

As a general rule of thumb, the coil diameter is approximately the depth of coin sized targets that it detects. In the case of elliptical DD coils, it is the narrow dimension, e.g. for the 6X10, six inches is the depth you can expect.

Having said that, the 6X10 DD works great on an MXT, but it is not as good on a DFX. The 4X6 has been known to be deeper than 4". But there are so many variables to consider (such as coil overlap, ground mineralization, target density,...) that your milage will vary.

For most whites my favorite coil is the d2. Great depth and because it's a dd coil you can work around trash very well.

I love concentric coils like the 12, easy pinpoint and great depth downside is they suck in all but wide open up trashy areas.

Dd coils like the d2 and the 6x10 do great in trash downside is pinpointing is harder until you master it and more susceptible to emi.

I'll add though that my 6x10 along with my SEF 8x6, works the same on my M6, BUT the SEF 8x6 on my V3i is outstandingly better. On my M6, they both fade out in depth between 6 and 6.5 inches. With the V3i???, the SEF will hit 9 inch targets.

The most unimpressive coil on the V has been the 6x10 Eclipse, and next the 10D2. SEF rules,, but IMPO, not so much on my M-series M6.

The 6x10 is my favorite for clad hunting with my V3. It is not going to have the depth of a 12in concentric but it will cover the ground better and do better in trash. I never cared much for the D2 but the 10x12 SEF works well for deep coins for me. I don't care for concentric coils at all because I detect mainly in trashy areas. When I had my MXT I think I used the stock concentric coil maybe 5 times in five years. Now the 5.3 concentric coil isn't bad.

Back
Top Bottom