pinpointing with the Nel Thunder Coil on the AT Pro

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
When I try pinpointing with the nel thunder I really cannot get it down much more than the width of the coil by going from east to west and north and south. The best way for me is just to use the front tipoff the coil and listen to where the signal appears and disappears and walk around the target 360 degrees.
That gives me about a 1-2 square inch pinpointed area of the target. I have experimented with this technique with a coin on the ground and buried coils I have found in my front yard.
Anyone have a better solution?
Also with the Nel Thunder on the AT pro how accurate is the depth on the VDI?

Well...I have the Thunder on my AtPro...I only use it in the water or on the beach, so pinpointing is not as critical since a guy is scooping...

I will say, for the past many years to pinpoint a target, instead of using the pinpoint button on either of my rigs, I've been doing a little trick I call 'Hop Coil'

I quickly jig the coil above the target, very fast, vertical quick tapping, like a drummer, or a guy jigging through the ice, 4-5 times per second, maybe more...really fast yet gentle motion...the coil remains up in the air, and a guy can lift it during the process, even while rotating 90 degrees, to easily distinguish the depth and location of the target...which is right in a golfball sized area underneath the center of the coil where the signal is the crispest and the loudest...

Keep your eyes on the ground and use your ears...So thats how I pinpoint as well as determine how deep a target is..Hop Coil....takes 15 secs from the first ping to the pouch..super fast way of pulling more targets during a hunt on account of you are retrieving them so quickly....

The idea is you are throwing the coils field straight down instead of side to side...great for hunting in the trash since the only target you want is underneath the very center of the coil...makes the center of the coil act like a hockey puck sized sniper coil...

After a little while you can even do this in the dark, you are running straight audio hunting, and never have to look at the screen again...Hope this helps...someday we are going to try to do a vid of it....

Well...I have the Thunder on my AtPro...I only use it in the water or on the beach, so pinpointing is not as critical since a guy is scooping...

I will say, for the past many years to pinpoint a target, instead of using the pinpoint button on either of my rigs, I've been doing a little trick I call 'Hop Coil'

I quickly jig the coil above the target, very fast, vertical quick tapping, like a drummer, or a guy jigging through the ice, 4-5 times per second, maybe more...really fast yet gentle motion...the coil remains up in the air, and a guy can lift it during the process, even while rotating 90 degrees, to easily distinguish the depth and location of the target...which is right in a golfball sized area underneath the center of the coil where the signal is the crispest and the loudest...

Keep your eyes on the ground and use your ears...So thats how I pinpoint as well as determine how deep a target is..Hop Coil....takes 15 secs from the first ping to the pouch..super fast way of pulling more targets during a hunt on account of you are retrieving them so quickly....

The idea is you are throwing the coils field straight down instead of side to side...great for hunting in the trash since the only target you want is underneath the very center of the coil...makes the center of the coil act like a hockey puck sized sniper coil...

After a little while you can even do this in the dark, you are running straight audio hunting, and never have to look at the screen again...Hope this helps...someday we are going to try to do a vid of it....

Did you ever get a chance to do this video?

When using a Thunder on my F70 I narrow down roughly where the signal is, then lift the coil 4" off the ground and pinpoint in the air. It hit's so deep that being that far from the target usually puts the target right in the middle of the coil.

My theory is it's such a powerful signal that it sends it cant focus on targets that are too close to it. I say this because fresh drops that haven't sunk yet always are hard to PP with the Thunder. The farther the target is from the coil the better it zero's in.

Just my observation.

Back
Top Bottom