Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Missouri Treasures

Anyone ever heard of a treasure hunt created by Robert L Tatham of kansas city missouri in the mid- 80's ?--He wrote a 80 page booklet called "missouri treasures and civil war sites" and put in a set of (4) coded numbers that would give directions to a treasure he buried of Gold,silver and gems. He passed away a few years ago and as far as i know,the treasure is still buried and the codes have never been solved.This is over 20 years old now,but I would enjoy hearing from anyone who ever played with this.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by vaq45 View post
Anyone ever heard of a treasure hunt created by Robert L Tatham of kansas city missouri in the mid- 80's ?--He wrote a 80 page booklet called "missouri treasures and civil war sites" and put in a set of (4) coded numbers that would give directions to a treasure he buried of Gold,silver and gems. He passed away a few years ago and as far as i know,the treasure is still buried and the codes have never been solved.This is over 20 years old now,but I would enjoy hearing from anyone who ever played with this.
I realize this post is a few months old, but do you have a copy of the book or perhaps the codes?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM

The book was written in 1974 but you need the 1982 revised one. One just sold on fleaBay.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Missouri Treasures

I just picked up a copy of the 1982 revised version for $10. I bought it locally at a civil war store. The website is jamescountry.com
I'm having trouble figuring the codes out.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cain View post
Many have for over 20 years, lol.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cain View post
I just picked up a copy of the 1982 revised version for $10. I bought it locally at a civil war store. The website is jamescountry.com
I know James Country but haven't been there in some time. I'll stop and get a copy next time I'm in the area. Thanks for that info. What is you opinion on the book and on the codes. Is there anything to it in your opinion, or could it all be just BS?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane View post
I know James Country but haven't been there in some time. I'll stop and get a copy next time I'm in the area. Thanks for that info. What is you opinion on the book and on the codes. Is there anything to it in your opinion, or could it all be just BS?
I'm new to md'ing, so I picked up the book as research because the sites are somewhat close to me. I havent figured out if the clues to solve the codes are in the book or in other books. I'm trying different things working through the book right now. I believe the author did bury a treasure for someone to find. He seems to have had a great reputation in the md'ing community from what I've read. I read his other books and he gives easy to understand advice.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Default ciphers

I play with it on occasion,but not very seriously anymore.

Last edited by vaq45; 03-24-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: adding info

Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Smile Robert L Tatham Cypher-1st stage solved

I have read your post and I met Robert in the early 90's. I had the book but I cannot find it since my move from Missouri to Colorado. I wish I had the cypher because I know how to solve the first stage. It's difficult but once you know the book he used, the cypher spells out everything for the first stage. The first stage is a basic description of treasure and a few other things.

HarleyMan

Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by vaq45 View post
I met Robert in the 90's. I use to have a copy of the book back then but it is now lost. I found a copy on ebay and bought it for $20. It should arrive next week. When I get it I'll get back with you. I know the key to solving the first stage of the cypher. It had nothing to do with any history or govt documents. lol

Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

No , but would like to get my hands on one of those books !

Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

A few books on Amazon...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3lt5YN59j_6NrzpC9yg0g

Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Well, It looks like your way ahead of the rest of us Harleyman--good luck with the rest of the codes--paul

Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Supporter

i've heard about that treasure!! thats so interesting, i wonder who would be the lucky one to finds it and whats in that treasure

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM

It's been almost 30 years-most have forgotten or gave up on this long ago-If anyone finds it,it will be an accident most likely-I think I would rather have the solutions to the codes than the treasure anyway.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Robert Tatham's treasure

I knew Bob Tatham and as a boy, went to his treasure "shop" with my father often. On a couple ocassions even had the pleasure to go out locally (KC area) and metal detect with them. Very curious if the treasure has ever been found yet. Interestingly, I know the individual who wrote the codes with Bob, but understandingly is VERY tight lipped about it. To his knowledge, 2 of the codes have been solved but that's it. I "dug" for more information but he only smiled and told me good luck. I plan to start my search and see if I can meet the same level of frustrations as everyone else! If anyone knows if the treasure has ever been found, I'd LOVE to hear. I'm new to the story with the exception of hearing small pieces of it as a kid. Any words of encouragement would be appriciated.

Thanks and would enjoy hearing from you.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

The one BIG unknown is if the treasure has already been found or not. It is highly possible that someone found it and just never reported it to avoid taxes or just people harassing him for money.

I hope it is still out there for those of you who choose to look for it. It would be a shame to work that hard to solve the clues and find an empty hole.

Good luck to all the seekers. I wish I had the time to join you.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Supporter

Sounds very interesting, if nothing else a good brain workout trying to crack the codes.

CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2892 Clad Coins, 15 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 56 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, 1 Big Indian Chief Sterling Pendant, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by GLCM Ranger View post
I knew Bob Tatham and as a boy, went to his treasure "shop" with my father often. On a couple ocassions even had the pleasure to go out locally (KC area) and metal detect with them. Very curious if the treasure has ever been found yet. Interestingly, I know the individual who wrote the codes with Bob, but understandingly is VERY tight lipped about it. To his knowledge, 2 of the codes have been solved but that's it. I "dug" for more information but he only smiled and told me good luck. I plan to start my search and see if I can meet the same level of frustrations as everyone else! If anyone knows if the treasure has ever been found, I'd LOVE to hear. I'm new to the story with the exception of hearing small pieces of it as a kid. Any words of encouragement would be appriciated.

Thanks and would enjoy hearing from you.
I bought the book two years ago now but ended up devoting little time to the cipher code. Just not my thing to stay with it for very long. If you or anyone else locally is looking for a partner to work on it together that might keep my interest up.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM

So far, I've been able to solve the 1st of 4. I believe I might be on to the 2nd "key" but the basic substitution process isn't geting me anywhere. There likely is an algorithm to the decyphering of it that I haven't zero'd in on as of yet. Clues anyone?