Great Day--Pretty Sweet SLQ

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Started this year on fire with 7 silver in Jan. Feb. dwindled down to just 1 and March wasn't any better until today. Me and a buddy headed to an old permission I named Nickel Park after all the V and Buff nickels found there. As of late I've been calling it Silver City. The last few trips there have given up multiple silver if not for me my buddy kills it with his Etrac. The one silver I got in Feb. was at this place, A Barber dime, I did dig 3 Ihps and a dozen wheats but Dave had an 8 silver day including a 49 Big Ben. Today, my first coin on the day was a double tap 27 on the 800. I see silver on edge in the wall of the plug, maybe 5 in. down. Ok, great way to start the day. a 1916 Barber dime. Next target a sure 19-20. A nice green Ihp. A little later another 27 and a not too deep 1916 Barber dime. And the next target a smooth 25-26 and out pops a worn 1920 Merc. A few clad dimes a couple memorials. This was all in the first hour. Dave at this point had a couple Ihps and a Buff but soon after he hit a Barber dime then a 40GW. I got a Buff and one wheatie then went dry. It was about this time Dave yells over I got shiney, its big but thin, I say maybe a Reale, He says I see an eagle on it. After a wash--UNFRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE an 1821 Capped Bust quarter. We were just talkin about how alot of Barber coins but no seated coins have been dug. I told him he blew protocol and skipped right to the capped bust. LOL I'm glad to have been there to see such an old piece of history saved and the excitement on my buddy's face. Enough about him, this is my post. Ha ha. Unfortunately the next couple of hours I spent digging trash and a little clad. Had to quit early as both of us had family commitments but in the last hour I got a deep 29-30 and 7in. down I dug a sweet 1920 SLQ. My third ever. Dave went on to dig another 32GW 2 Mercs and a couple more Barber dimes for a 9 silver day. Me, about 10 minutes after the SLQ I dug another 1899 Barber dime and finished with 5 silvers for the day, a nice green Ihp,and wheatie and a Buff. my second FTY. Like I said great day. Also added pics of a cool lock and some finds from my last trip to Silver City. The last pic is a wrap up of todays hunt. Thanks for looking in. HH Mark
r dime.

Attachments

• 20190316_103124 (2).jpg
    20190316_103124 (2).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 622
  • 20190316_170018 (2).jpg
    20190316_170018 (2).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 20190316_170043 (2).jpg
    20190316_170043 (2).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 20190225_150342 (2).jpg
    20190225_150342 (2).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 20190316_154208 (2).jpg
    20190316_154208 (2).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 554
Nice hunt congrats on those beautiful silvers. Those SLQ are hard to come by. I've found 2 since I've been doing this and I've been doing it awhile.

What a site you guys have there Mark! Very unusual these days to have that kind of multi-silver day. I do have to say though that it appears you may need some better pinpointing before digging. I’m kinda shocked to see such a crater in that first pic, and the coin was in the WALL of the hole! Was it creamed by your digging tool? No replies before mine have mentioned the size of the hole you have there. Does that mean all these folks are digging holes like that too? I sure hope not.
Anyway I AM jealous of those great finds. OK, jumping down off my soapbox now. Wish the ground would thaw a little up this way

WOW! That is incredible. I came looking for a sweet SLQ (and it IS sweet. Lots of detail!), and I look at the pictures and think, "WHAAA? CAPPED BUST!"

That's awesome! What a great day!

Skippy

Just a very impressive haul of loot and a fun day with your buddy to boot! I really like that lock but it looks too clean to be dug....ya sure ya didn't swipe it off the Clemente Bridge? :laughing: Just kidding! Big congrats to you and send some warm temps up here to me in Warren County.....

I do have to say though that it appears you may need some better pinpointing before digging. I’m kinda shocked to see such a crater in that first pic, and the coin was in the WALL of the hole! Was it creamed by your digging tool? No replies before mine have mentioned the size of the hole you have there. Does that mean all these folks are digging holes like that too? I sure hope not.

If you look closely that coin is on edge. At maybe 8 inches from the bottom of the coil that likely threw the pinpointing off by a few inches in the direction of the hole. Also, I've read that the equinox doesn't have proportional audio for depth and the depth estimate isn't great anyway, probably more so with a coin on edge. So, hopefully not all of the retrievals turned out like that. Arguably, a wider three sided flap hole is easier on the grass. They can hold together better when there's not much root structure. I'll dig wider holes (and not use a towel to get all of the dirt back in the hole) if it's private property and the owner verifies its about to be developed or landscaped anyway. If it's an area with lots of targets that could get unmasked, then a wider hole is better than trying to dig three or four holes right next to each other.

Last edited:
Nice hunt congrats on those beautiful silvers. Those SLQ are hard to come by. I've found 2 since I've been doing this and I've been doing it awhile.
Thank you and yes SLQs seem hard to come by, especially ones with detail on them. As i said its only my third ever and my nicest one. HH Mark

That's really nice treasure and old coins! I really like that old lock.

beephead
Beep thanks, a rare day for sure. I almost didn't dig the lock, the signal was so loud and wide I thought it was shallow trash. But the site is old so I dug and was glad I did.

You did outstandingly well, Keep at it. I have always wanted a SLQ
Usa, thanks. An SLQ could be in the next plug. It seems to be a white whale for many. So I guess maybe I'm lucky HH Mark

Awesome finds Mark! Nice job and thanks for sharing!!
Tom, thank you. This is one hunt I won't soon forget. HH Mark

Gosh darn amazing!
Buellride, coming from you thats huge, I would have to have a couple more hunts like that to catch you. ha ha. Good luck Mark

Wow congrats ya'll killed it!

Thank you sir, it was a good one. HH Mark

Thanks

What a site you guys have there Mark! Very unusual these days to have that kind of multi-silver day. I do have to say though that it appears you may need some better pinpointing before digging. I’m kinda shocked to see such a crater in that first pic, and the coin was in the WALL of the hole! Was it creamed by your digging tool? No replies before mine have mentioned the size of the hole you have there. Does that mean all these folks are digging holes like that too? I sure hope not.
Anyway I AM jealous of those great finds. OK, jumping down off my soapbox now. Wish the ground would thaw a little up this way

Jim, thanks. Multiple old silver days are sure hard to come by these days. The site is not a public park but a grown over wooded area with some grass edges left that was used back in the early 1900s. Now as far as plug size, to the fact nobody mentioned before you, I would think most of us have experienced a plug gone wrong and try to do their best at keeping plugs neat and to a minimum. That said thank you for the constructive criticism. I did not hit it with my digger, when I flipped the plug the pointer said it was in the back of the wall so instead of cutting another plug, I cut back another 2 ins. to keep the whole plug intact and it revealed the coin on edge. One thing I have noticed with the Equinox is coins on edge, or almost on edge seem to pinpoint strongest off the side of the coil. Not an excuse, just an observation. Hope you are able to hunt soon. Good luck Mark

This is a good observation. Those coins on edge can skew the pinpoint somewhat. I've dug PLENTY of plugs that looked like that (and worse haha) Even with a plug that large and messy, it all goes back together pretty nicely. Slide the loose dirt back in the hole and flip the plug back over, stamp it down real good. I have noticed that those larger plugs seem to mend up nicer than the smaller ones. To your point though, digging like that in a public park will raise some eyebrows for sure. Sounds like the OP was in a wooded area.

Really nice outing! I sure would like to get over a SL Quarter again!

WOW! That is incredible. I came looking for a sweet SLQ (and it IS sweet. Lots of detail!), and I look at the pictures and think, "WHAAA? CAPPED BUST!"

That's awesome! What a great day!

Skippy
Skippy thank you. I know, a capped bust trumps an SLQ anyday. It was a shocker and best and oldest find for my buddy and he's been at it for 20 yrs. HH Mark

Great finds. I love the padlock.
Chill thanks, thats my second old padlock. HH Mark

Just a very impressive haul of loot and a fun day with your buddy to boot! I really like that lock but it looks too clean to be dug....ya sure ya didn't swipe it off the Clemente Bridge? :laughing: Just kidding! Big congrats to you and send some warm temps up here to me in Warren County.....
Thank you sir, good day for sure. Funny thing about the lock was instead of having a nice green patina on it, there were these globs of green crustacean on it. I soaked it in oil to clean it up. HH Mark.

Congrats on an awesome hunt. Hope to get some hunt time in this coming week. GL & HH.
Ron thanks I hope those old sites you have pay off soon for you. Good luck and HH Mark

Very nice markinswpa.

I would like to book a 2 day trip to Silver City please.
Thank you,closed for the season. lol. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom