Club FoM!!!

AceGVSU11

Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Forum Supporter
This was voted for the find of the month for our club's Fob/Badge/Token category - www.swmss.org

A Vietnam Bronze commendation medal that represents acts of heroism and meritorious service or achievement. This honor is just beneath the bronze star...

Attachments

• DSCN0268_edited.jpg
    DSCN0268_edited.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN0269_edited.jpg
    DSCN0269_edited.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 313
Actually,
The medal you have there is a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal. I just received one earlier this month. I looked at the back of my medal and mine says the exact same thing. The Sailor or Marine who lost that had to have done something above and beyond his job to receive that medal. I know guys who do twenty years and not receive one. I have been in almost fifteen years and this was my first one. All services have so variation of this medal. So it could be an Army Commendation as well. Very nice find indeed.

Paul

Attachments

• ncom.jpg
    ncom.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 271
I wouldnt classify it as rare. It's a common military decoration that has been in existance since around 1941 or so. It is awarded to military members who distinguish themselves by heroism, outstanding achievement or meritorious service. The only way to tell if that particular medal was awarded for heroism would be to find the owner and ask, or if the ribbon was still attached with a "Combat V" device attached would have been awarded for combat related acts. Cool find nonetheless. How did you come up with that it was a Vietnam era award ????

BlackZ51Vett is exactly correct. Had this medal been awarded for valor in combat it would have a gold "V" device attached to the ribbon portion of the medal. Mine was issued to me for meritorious service on board the USS George Washington (CVN-73) and USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) for four years in the Forward Deployed Naval Forces Yokosuka, Japan. I was also wondering how you would tell it was issued in Vietnam. Nothing on the medal says Vietnam or where it was issued. The only way to tell where it was issued is to talk to the owner of the medal or to have the paper citation that came with the medal. Also, this medal is a little below the bronze star on the order of precedence chart. Here is the Navy Award levels:

1. Medal of Honor
2. Navy Cross
3. Defense Distinguished Service Medal
4. Distinguished Service Medal
5. Silver Star
6. Defense Superior Service Medal
7. Legion of Merit
8. Distinguished Flying Cross
9. Navy/Marine Corps Medal
10. Bronze Star
11. Purple Heart
12. Defense Meritorious Service Medal
13. Meritorious Service Medal
14. Air Medal
15. Joint Service Commendation Medal
16. Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal......I have one of these
17. Joint Service Achievement Medal
18. Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.......I have six of these

We also have several other medals and ribbons given for various service achievements. I only listed our top eighteen.

Paul

When I researched it I found that they began to issue the award starting around the Vietnam era... I did not know if they still issued them so it is possible that this could be from a different time period...

Thanks for the info though!

Ohio Digger,
Where are you from in Ohio. I was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio. I think the only way to find the owner is to ask the person who owned the ground if they had someone serve in the military. Or if the person would have had his name engraved in the medal. Judging by the picture that's not the case.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom