Collections & displays

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Reading Alan's post about his help on the archaelogical dig reminded me of something. Some years back I worked as a volunteer at the historical society. Man, they had duplicates of just about everything - before the Civil War to recent past. I would inspect items and catalog them.
There were a kazillion cabinets with multiple drawers that held things. Most items would never see the light of day again - so said one of the head men.
It sure does seem better to have many displays by non historical people than many never to be seen treasures stored away. Kinda like the ending of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
Steve in so az

Kinda like the ending of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Yep, I remember the ending. A huge warehouse full of crates.

Isn't it nice that we can share our finds on the forum? I love seeing what other people are finding :D

I have a friend that found a cannon ball in a creak
when he was a kid.

His father had a huge collection of Indian artifacts.
The museum ask him to donate them. He did. They
are never to be seen again. There was not so much
as a thank you in writing. Nothing to show for what
his father did for history's sake.......?

When he was asked to donate his cannon ball, he
refused.

Do you blame him?

Happy Huntun,

Tabdog

Tabdog: Since there was no official museum response, I bet they ended up in someones personal collection. Even museum workers can be crooks.

Rayland - I personally know an archie who has dug indian artifcts on his mantle at home. Steve in so az

I got permission to look in the record room at my local historical society. Amongst the shelves of books was the occasional box full of artifacts found at the historical sites while doing constuction work. I peeked in one of them but all I saw was some colored glass pieces and iron junk. I'm sure there was some cool stuff in some of those boxes though. It's to bad that no one can see the stuff. I can't complain though because the historical society does have a couple nice displays.

So true! Steve. I would rather they be seen and treasured by a few eyes than none at all. Something old, lost and forgotten is best honored by bring'in it to the light of day and holding it in your hand. If only to think for a moment about those who came before, and left us with small clues to who they were. It is from this small discovery that we make that allow them to reach out beyond there grave in some small way and say, "I was here".

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
I'm with you brother. In a drawer or in the ground. No one gets to enjoy either. So get out and dig. WOLF

Back
Top Bottom