War club

Smoke14

I know what this is but the wire has thrown me for a loop. Any insight would be appreciated.

warhammer2_zps268de824.jpg

Just a wild guess, but maybe the Indians were able to get wire once the Europeans arrived. Is it copper wire?

I'm not around computer so I am viewing this from my phone. I can't see what is the "wire" in the pic. This is a nice peice. Most were attached to shaft with rawhide and sinew. Sinew is extremely strong and once it dries it is very hard and thin pieces are almost translucent.

The wire is very hard and quite stiff. When scratched with a knife, it shines. There is wood under the wire. I found this nearly forty years ago and just recently re-found it after a move.

Have any larger pics? Where was it found? How big is it? How is the copper pieced together around the stone? See any welds, tacking, or connectors of any kind?
Not sure if it would be native american. They would have chosen sinew over copper wire. It was easier to come by and probably use. If that indian had that much copper available he would have probably just made a copper axe. Unless.....

Hmmm. Interesting. May have been a later repair (by later I mean could be 1870s 1880s) Ill do some looking around tonight when I get home and get a better look at your pic. Again...neat piece!

The wire is not copper because it is magnetic. This was found near Eel River in Whitley county Indiana. I also found several arrowheads in the same area.

I peeled the leather back and took another picture. You can see the shiny spot where I scraped the wire.

photo4_zps1ecf7642.jpg

Ahhhhh I can see clearly now from computer monitor. Guessing this is an old head that was found and someone (possibly kids) added the wire? Maybe not. Let me do some checking.

Hmmmm, With it not being copper I'm starting to think it's not %100 Native American. Especially with the leather grip. Is the handle that the wire is wrapped around wooden? Is the stone grooved at all? Was it found on the river bank or in a plowed field? Maybe a farmer or someone made it as a makeshift hammer. That stone looks old though. If it is Native American, I have never seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom