My first 1 Carat Diamond ring! (EDIT: Video Proof of "real")

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
EDIT: All. most of you have seen this post. Inside the thread there are a few folks, who saw the dirty pictures and decried the ring as a FAKE! In spite of noting that I had tested the item, and found the gold and Diamonds to be real, the belief the item was a FAKE, continued. It kind of made me laugh, but I was on a business trip this week, and couldn't do much about it, other than suggest that people believe me. Now that I'm home, I put together a couple of videos. See Page 3, for the response, but if you're just along for the ride, below is the promised video showing, definitively, that the stones and metal are both REAL. Lesson here, folks is that you simply CANNOT tell from a photo alone on a forum whether something IS, or IS NOT. Best you get things tested. And when someone says, "I tested it," you might as well believe them... Seriously, LOL!

If the playback links don't work for you, the URL is below each vid.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=7SoIZ3iWln8

And a better closeup view without the dirt flecks, or weird lighting shadows (in video!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYfXtsEwulI

Cheers!

------------Skippy---------------------------

Found this today in a local park with my AT Pro and NEL Hunter coil. It was between a volleyball court and a big electrical station box (the huge green kind). The EMI was really bad and made things extra chattery. Having some experience with this, I simply listened for repeat signals when sweeping. I found one that bounced like crazy around 39-44, and bent to dig it. I was there to try to find a lost class ring, that I was hoping to find and return to the owner.

This is NOT the class ring (I've currently got a call into the city for checking for an owner, if no lost report, it'll be mine). It was 2" down in the dirt. I didn't think to video it, because I was so blasted shocked by it, and thought for SURE it was a junker. You know the kind you get from Walmart. When I first pulled it, I thought, "whoa, this is heavy." Then cleared the inside looking for a marking. I saw 14k and got a little excited, but still wasn't holding my breath on it being real... Then I wiped away as much dirt as I could and saw the center stone had a YELLOW tinge to it... Then I got a little more excited. Then breath tested that sucker and NO FOG...

Then I knew... what a find! Measured it later, and it reads out at exactly 5.5mm. Which, according to the diamond chart for Princess cuts, put this sucker at 1 carat. There are 20 other stones on it, too.

I have no idea what it's worth, but I couldn't see any inclusions in the stone that were visible, making this a SI1 at least, clarity could be better, too! Will check with the loupe later.

Just wanted to share.. I'm on a streak this month. This is my fourth gold ring. Pulled two big gold mens rings out last weekend, one gold men's ring on Friday (2.4grams), and now this at lunch today. Totally stoked... Makes ring #21 for the year, #4 gold. It also completes my bucket list for finding a diamond that is 1 carat! Odd thing is, this is the ring (minus the yellow in the diamond) that I was hoping to find this year. I've wanted to find a princess cut, for some time. Booyah!

Just after the find:
IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

After a quick clean up.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

I'll fully test everything later this evening, but I'm 99% everything is legit. It's got the right density, the fog test is good, and the quality of the settings and detail on the ring all scream "EXPENSIVE."

EDIT: Checked the ring over. Definitely 5.5mm (1 carat). Weighed in at 5.16 grams total weight, scratch tested positive for 14K. After cleaning I found additional stones. There are 32 additional diamonds (10 on each arm, plus 6 on each side of the square face... 10+10+6+6=32).

Stone under a loupe has a really big fracture in it, which is actually noticeable with the naked eye once you know what to look for at the right angle, but has no other inclusions (no carbon flecks or anything visible under 20x magnification, other than the one item). I'm placing the stone at SI2, dropping the value some.

Each of the large mele stones on the arms are about 1.5mm each, (about 1/10th carat TTW for the large stones, plus the 24 additional stones..)

I place the whole ring's value at somewhere around $3500-$6500 retail, but will probably get an appraisal on this one if the owner cannot be found. Especially since if my imperfect measurements on the stone are off even by .5mm, the solitaire goes down from 1 carat to .75.

EDIT #2: City contacted me back. No lost rings reported for the year.

No Craigslist posts, either. It's mine, now!

Cheers!

Skippy

Last edited:
Holy smokes! I think your equipment just payed for itself a few more times.
Congrats on a fantastic find and for giving the owner a chance to claim it!
That's something not everybody would do....WTG!

Holy smokes! I think your equipment just payed for itself a few more times.
Congrats on a fantastic find and for giving the owner a chance to claim it!
That's something not everybody would do....WTG!

It's not much of a chance, though. :) I know the city doesn't keep lost and found records, and this is 2" underground. The odds are definitely in my favor, but I still check. I won't go actively looking/searching for owners, but if there's a bulletin out, they're still looking for it, and it's not abandoned property (which is legally mine, if so, according to the city... they've let me keep some nice stuff!)

EDIT: HA! just got notified by the city, that there's no records for any lost rings for the year. It's mine to keep. :)

Skippy

Nothing short of.... FREAKING INCREDIBLE!!!! Great find! I have a hard time digging jumpy mid tones in a park at 2" lol glad your patience paid off!

Holy moley is all I can say. You are one lucky dude! Sure hope the reason for no reported loss on that is because the poor lady went home and committed suicide!

Don

Great find!
It seems there are a lot of "antique" rings being manufactured lately.

If memory serves, this style was so popular about 5-10 years ago, this was the style of ring they sold at Costco!.

Now, though, I'm having a hard time finding any information on the ring. It's definitely not all digital, and may have been fully hand-worked, as I can see small variations in the placements of the diamonds and some of the designs. With 32 diamonds that are all placed, though, that's pretty much expected. There's no way to get a machine to do that.

A jeweler once told me that lots of small diamonds in a ring can actually add up to quite a bit of cost. Their cost was about $4-$5 per diamond placement in a ring (for mele), from time alone. They would charge customers between $10 and $15 per diamond installed. Put that into a value, and there's about $150 in minimum cost to install those 33 diamonds. Definitely a cool ring. I just keep going back to it with the loupe.

I'm headed out on another business trip, today, but when I get back, I think it's going into the jeweler for a professional clean and appraisal. I'll certainly post back about it, then. :)

Was just a fun find to come across a yellow diamond!

Skippy

Holy moley is all I can say. You are one lucky dude! Sure hope the reason for no reported loss on that is because the poor lady went home and committed suicide!

Don

Personally, given where this was found (well-to-do area), I think a ring like this was probably insured. I know if my wife lost her ring (which was pricey), we'd probably just look for a week, claim it on our insurance, and move on.

Once claimed, FINDING the ring could be a problem, as then you've got to figure out how to get the claim check back to the insurance company, and you've probably already spent it. That's a tough situation to be in... As a result, most insured rings don't want to be "found" by their original purchasers after the claims...

Besides that, it's a better story than hoping she killed herself. LOL

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom