Hello

patmine

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, and also ask the question, whats the best detector for my type of application? I live on the intra-coastal waterway, lots of sandy shoreline, as well as water only several feet deep. In the past I have found many antique bottles just using a probe in the shallows. Im now wanting to expand my treasure hunting by using a metal detector. If there are bottles, I would imagine there might be treasure as well. the area I live in is a commercial fishing town that has been around since the early 1900's, maybe even into the late 1800's. Im planning on purchasing a detector very soon. Im currently looking at the Minelabs, sovereign gt. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to have the ability to use on dry land. A few spots I know of used to have plantation homes on them.

Thanks,
Doug

The GT would be an excellent choice as long as you were not intending to enter too far into the water. Otherwise look at a waterproof detector. The ones mentioned are good as well as some others. If you need more help please let me know.

Im not planning on going deeper than 3 feet of water. The rest of the time in sand, and dirt.

Sounds like you probably ought to think waterproof, meaning submersible. Best of luck on those great sounding sites.

will the GT be better for my application over the Tesoro Tigershark? I dont think that Ill have have to submerge the whole unit. At the deepest maybe 3 ft. Ive been reading alot of great reviews on both of those units. Stiil not sure which way to go.

I guess any idea of being around water would make me consider a submersible unit just for the fear that a big wave or that I might fall over into the water and there goes my investment. I would get one that could go underwater just to be safe IMHO.

The GT would be a better detector but ; in 3 feet of water you better have it well protected or it WILL get wet. If you don't want to risk that then go with the Tiger Shark.

Thank you all for youre advice. I purchased a Minelab GT Pro. Comes with 8" coil as well. I figured Id give it a shot and see how things go. If I think I may need to go to submersible, then Ill look into getting another. As far as using it now, I will just be very careful when im in or around water. I know "famous last words" But I will do my best to be careful!!!! And I will post the first thing that i find. And also be prepared for a ton of questions from me. Im sure I will have a few once I get up and running. Would have tried it out today but Im still charging battery. haha Thank you again for all youre help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom