Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Supporter

Default Tesoro factory

Hi all... I just got off the phone with Tesoro. I need to order a couple things before they go belly up.. I was talking with Vince, He told me :: There were thinking about a restructure.. Now there are a couple people thinking about taking over. He does not have an answer from them yet.. Will not give out any names..
So let us all hope that someone steps up and takes over..
I am an old Tesoro die hard.. KEN

KEN

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dirtykneese View post
Hi all... I just got off the phone with Tesoro. I need to order a couple things before they go belly up.. I was talking with Vince, He told me :: There were thinking about a restructure.. Now there are a couple people thinking about taking over. He does not have an answer from them yet.. Will not give out any names..

Thanks for the update Ken .

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

I called there two days ago and left a message on the recording..called three times yesterday and two times today,,same answering machine is all I got...is this the number you called? 928-771-2646

Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
I called there two days ago and left a message on the recording..called three times yesterday and two times today,,same answering machine is all I got...is this the number you called? 928-771-2646
You might have better luck trying Beechwood 4 -5789 .

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Supporter

Way to go Ken, you were able to get updated info right from the source ! hope they get things worked out okay !

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Supporter

I talked with Vince for a while. He hopes someone will take over.
I told him that there sure are a lot of die hard Tesoro fans out their.
I told him about all the other detectors I have tried over the years. He laughed when I told him about the one I had, that played a lot of music.
My ears could not keep up with the different tones. So I sold it and got out my Tesoros. We had a nice talk... KEN

KEN

Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

Seems if someone was interested in investing or buying them out it would have happened before it got to this...Doubt anyone would buy company and keep the lifetime warranty continuing for current and future detectors....not $$$$$ wise.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post

Yes that is the number. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday. I was talking to Vince..

KEN

Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

yeah! i hope so too! the analog technology and the (k.i.s.s) theory is still in demand!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

Nobody is going to buy this sinking ship full of ancient technology. You tesora fans are dreaming. The only SLIM chance anyone buys this company is if a new detector manufacturer wants brand name to get their foot into the market and nothing else. That only happens if they get it for pennies and they are not selling the same old tired tech if that happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by detectorben View post
Nobody is going to buy this sinking ship full of ancient technology. You tesora fans are dreaming. The only SLIM chance anyone buys this company is if a new detector manufacturer wants brand name to get their foot into the market and nothing else. That only happens if they get it for pennies and they are not selling the same old tired tech if that happens.

Spoken like a true Minelabber.lol..One thing for sure Ben,,your consistent

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:34 PM

The underlying Tesoro technology is not as "ancient" as some apparently think. VLF technology reached its peak decades ago; that's why some 25-year old machines are just as deep as any modern machine--they use exactly the same "outdated" technology. (Even Minelab's latest multi-Q machines, which I like, are just the latest wrinkle on VLF technology.) Tesoro even did a fairly good job miniaturizing the circuitry at the time, producing light machines. Where it fell short was in failing to continue the process of evolution--squeezing out a few more drops of performance, evolving the packaging, the controls, and the way information is presented, etc.

I happen to like the straightforward analog approach at times (I have both types of detectors), with reliance on knobs and tones, where you don't need to use switches to sort through endless menus and options. But, Tesoro should have firmly embraced multi-tones long ago (rather than just making a few abortive stabs), should have a few models with large, bright TID screens, as well, since that's what the market wants. It should have introduced other modern features like, sleek, waterproof/resistant designs, li-ion batteries, wireless headphones, etc. Mostly "bells and whistles," built on the same underlying "ancient" VLF technology; but, that's what sells.

The Tesoro brand is definitely worth something. The Tesoro technology is, as well, since you could easily modify some of the circuit designs to be the basis for some sleek, modern machines. Of course, most of the basic VLF technology is probably firmly in the public domain by now.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dubious View post
The underlying Tesoro technology is not as "ancient" as some apparently think. VLF technology reached its peak decades ago; that's why some 25-year old machines are just as deep as any modern machine--they use exactly the same "outdated" technology. (Even Minelab's latest multi-Q machines, which I like, are just the latest wrinkle on VLF technology.) Tesoro even did a fairly good job miniaturizing the circuitry at the time, producing light machines. Where it fell short was in failing to continue the process of evolution--squeezing out a few more drops of performance, evolving the packaging, the controls, and the way information is presented, etc.

I happen to like the straightforward analog approach at times (I have both types of detectors), with reliance on knobs and tones, where you don't need to use switches to sort through endless menus and options. But, Tesoro should have firmly embraced multi-tones long ago (rather than just making a few abortive stabs), should have a few models with large, bright TID screens, as well, since that's what the market wants. It should have introduced other modern features like, sleek, waterproof/resistant designs, li-ion batteries, wireless headphones, etc. Mostly "bells and whistles," built on the same underlying "ancient" VLF technology; but, that's what sells.

The Tesoro brand is definitely worth something. The Tesoro technology is, as well, since you could easily modify some of the circuit designs to be the basis for some sleek, modern machines. Of course, most of the basic VLF technology is probably firmly in the public domain by now.
analog v.l.f. design is still a viable platform.a man who detects with a single tone detector,and "knows" that detector,and what that detector is telling him,is a formidable adversary afield. multi-tones,v.i.d.screens are NOT needed by the astute tesoro user. the "nuances" of the unit tell him what he needs to know.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
analog v.l.f. design is still a viable platform.a man who detects with a single tone detector,and "knows" that detector,and what that detector is telling him,is a formidable adversary afield. multi-tones,v.i.d.screens are NOT needed by the astute tesoro user. the "nuances" of the unit tell him what he needs to know.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Thank you for adding that. I know a lot about what I would like to say. I just don't know how to put some things into words. Maybe I just am not as smart as many of you guys out their. And I don't like to put other company's down.
I still like my old out dated beep and dig detectors. Been using them for over 40 years. And yes, I know my beeps
KEN. .

KEN

Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 AM
Elite Member

Thank you for adding that. I know a lot about what I would like to say. I just don't know how to put some things into words. Maybe I just am not as smart as many of you guys out their. And I don't like to put other company's down.
I still like my old out dated beep and dig detectors. Been using them for over 40 years. And yes, I know my beeps
KEN. .
i'll bet you can walk right behind an equinox user,and find stuff he has missed!
quite possibly it has already been done.what you pay for your tesoro?.$250.00
or so?..you just saved $650.00,so now you can put that difference towards your next hop to the philippines!.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Elite Member

don't cost nuthin' to dream!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Default Tesoro Beeper Finds

I've posted some of my past/current Tesoro Beeper Finds here on the forum in my album appropriately titled "Tesoro Beeper Finds".

When my old Tesoros stop finding these things for me I'll consider trying something else, but so far there's no need.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Elite Member

If you were around and had the opportunity to use various analog machines and note the tone difference between the new technology (digital) you would not have posted what you did. There are reasons why people hang on to older machines......it's because they work so damn good compared to some of the digital equipment.

I would not be surprised one little bit if one of the "big" manufacturers switched back to some analog systems and used it as a way to increase sales. Lots of parallels to the audio on music - Digital vs. vinyl. and metal detectors.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Elite Member

Talking Old stuff

Originally Posted by John-Edmonton View post
If you were around and had the opportunity to use various analog machines and note the tone difference between the new technology (digital) you would not have posted what you did. There are reasons why people hang on to older machines......it's because they work so damn good compared to some of the digital equipment.

I would not be surprised one little bit if one of the "big" manufacturers switched back to some analog systems and used it as a way to increase sales. Lots of parallels to the audio on music - Digital vs. vinyl. and metal detectors.
Amen John, well said. I'm often bewildered and confused by the comments and attitudes of some folks regarding analog detectors and Tesoro in particular.

Then your comment hit me like a ton of bricks when you said "if you were around"...causing me to realize that a substantial number of people that post today are too young to have used or know anything about analog detectors, their history, capabilities, or actual contribution to this hobby.

Yep, I'm slow but now it makes sense. Time to hunt more and post less

Last edited by normx2; 10-14-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 PM

I disagree that Tesoro should have gone down the path of (almost) all the other companies by adding digital screens, waterproofing, internal batteries etc. That market is saturated with lots of choices. Tesoro provided the best discrimination circuitry in the business, IMHO. All they needed to do was take a machine like the Tejon and give it tones like the Golden uMax. People still love that detector. I had one a few years ago, and it was a fun machine, just not very deep. Take those tones and add them to the H.O.T. machines and they would need a second shift to keep up with demand. The other thing they should have done, like it or not, is have a presence on social media. There is no escaping the fact that social media is crucial for success in the 21st century.