• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Amelia Island

billohio6248

Taking a couple days vacation to Amelia Islans and wondered if the beach has any restrictions. Any replies are appreciated.

I hunt out there whenever i get the chance.Just stay between the dunes and water and you should be okay.Inland i never tried it.But most of it is private property.You could hunt a school out that way.The beaches have been pretty slow for me.If you are that close,you might want to hit the beaches at Jacksonville.They are sanded in right now.You got to kind of pick at it.We need a Nor'easter bad!
You can go in the water.Just be careful of rip currents.Also watch for Turtle nests by the dunes.They try to flag them off,but may miss a nest.

You can hunt any beaches from Amelia Island north to Main Beach near the entrance to Ft. Clinch. There are many access points onto the beach and several large parking areas but be warned, they get hunted a lot. Itsaring found it all already. :D

thanks for the feedback

Imalookin2
I appreciate the response and information. I will let you know what I find. It's a crapshoot. I got tired of looking in the same spots here in Atlanta and the wife and handicapped son (33) need a weekend vacation.

You can hunt any beaches from Amelia Island north to Main Beach near the entrance to Ft. Clinch. There are many access points onto the beach and several large parking areas but be warned, they get hunted a lot. Itsaring found it all already. :D
I thought you did! :laughing: last time i went to main beach it had the most complex grid someone laid down with their scoop.I found one zinc penny total.And may have dropped that myself.LOL!

Bill, if you look at maps starting at American Beach, Burney Road access is the first larger parking area on Amelia Island from the south. There is a small parking lot south called south beach access but it is small and a walk to the water. I roughly rate it a 2 with 5 being the best. None of those beaches rate near a 5. Next parking area going north is Peters Point. I rate that a 2 1/2. You can walk in there and head south behind the Ritz Carlton. You will see a lot of lounge chairs set up. I have not had great success there but there is very little trash on that part of the beach behind the Ritz and it is fun to see the guests walking around the beach with their white bath robes on. This is where Fernandina begins and Amelia ends. Amelia island is shorter with a lot of areas with no beach access. You can hunt if you can get on the beach. Hopefully you are staying at one of those hotels or time shares so you can access the beach easy. Most of that area is gated. Next sizable parking lot going north is at the bar Sliders at the traffic circle. I rate that a 3 only because sometimes people get a little tipsy and lose goodies. The final and largest parking area is Main Beach near Ft. Clinch. Same rating as Sliders but a longer stretch to hunt. Between Peters Point and Main Beach is all Fernandina Beach and there are a lot of small parking areas all along the road with wood ramps to the beach. As you said, it is just a lucky thing if you find gold. Those large areas are hunted a lot. Good luck and just have fun! South of Amelia Island is State Parks until you get to Hugeont near the Mayport ferry. There is no detecting allowed along that stretch. Jacksonville beach I would rate a 2 also. I would not waste my time going there unless you want to enjoy the short ferry trip and maybe eat lunch at Singletons.

Bill, if you look at maps starting at American Beach, Burney Road access is the first larger parking area on Amelia Island from the south. There is a small parking lot south called south beach access but it is small and a walk to the water. I roughly rate it a 2 with 5 being the best. None of those beaches rate near a 5. Next parking area going north is Peters Point. I rate that a 2 1/2. You can walk in there and head south behind the Ritz Carlton. You will see a lot of lounge chairs set up. I have not had great success there but there is very little trash on that part of the beach behind the Ritz and it is fun to see the guests walking around the beach with their white bath robes on. This is where Fernandina begins and Amelia ends. Amelia island is shorter with a lot of areas with no beach access. You can hunt if you can get on the beach. Hopefully you are staying at one of those hotels or time shares so you can access the beach easy. Most of that area is gated. Next sizable parking lot going north is at the bar Sliders at the traffic circle. I rate that a 3 only because sometimes people get a little tipsy and lose goodies. The final and largest parking area is Main Beach near Ft. Clinch. Same rating as Sliders but a longer stretch to hunt. Between Peters Point and Main Beach is all Fernandina Beach and there are a lot of small parking areas all along the road with wood ramps to the beach. As you said, it is just a lucky thing if you find gold. Those large areas are hunted a lot. Good luck and just have fun! South of Amelia Island is State Parks until you get to Hugeont near the Mayport ferry. There is no detecting allowed along that stretch. Jacksonville beach I would rate a 2 also. I would not waste my time going there unless you want to enjoy the short ferry trip and maybe eat lunch at Singletons.

Have they cleaned up American beach any ? I used to live down there , its been over 10 years since Ive been to that beach but it used to have a reputation for being a hangout for everything from homos to drug dealers , not to mention a lot of trash all over the place. Last I heard there was an effort to clean it up and have it patrolled more often but I dont know if they ever did it. Just saying it may be a good idea to keep a lookout and maybe not be there after dark.

Have they cleaned up American beach any ? I used to live down there , its been over 10 years since Ive been to that beach but it used to have a reputation for being a hangout for everything from homos to drug dealers , not to mention a lot of trash all over the place. Last I heard there was an effort to clean it up and have it patrolled more often but I dont know if they ever did it. Just saying it may be a good idea to keep a lookout and maybe not be there after dark.
I do not know about those days since I did not live in this area. The small neighborhood north of the parking lot is mostly boarded up old houses in poor repair. At least half of them are vacant and boarded up. South of the parking lot is timeshares and the Ritz, all high dollar properties. They are gated. I have never hunted there at night but the daytime seems to be a nice local crowd and I have never seen anyone hanging out that looked bad and I can spot them fast. Possibly up near the neighborhood? It is about half a mile north of the parking lot and I have never hunted there. Looks poor so I never bothered thinking the only gold there would be their teeth.

The trashiness isn't all that bad.You just got to watch some of the guys sitting at the picnic table,and parked cars running with people sitting in them to the right when you enter.They did a sting out there called "Weekend at Burneys":laughing: You can google it and see the arrests:laughing:Most beaches have the same problem at the restrooms as do some boat ramp parks.I was at Burneys last year and saw a guy peeking in the showers.Asked him if he knew the 3 guys in the shower and he left quick.If you look up when you are detecting and see the guys walking around the restroom structure nonstop:shock:They aren't watching for waves:laughing:

The trashiness isn't all that bad.You just got to watch some of the guys sitting at the picnic table,and parked cars running with people sitting in them to the right when you enter.They did a sting out there called "Weekend at Burneys":laughing: You can google it and see the arrests:laughing:Most beaches have the same problem at the restrooms as do some boat ramp parks.I was at Burneys last year and saw a guy peeking in the showers.Asked him if he knew the 3 guys in the shower and he left quick.If you look up when you are detecting and see the guys walking around the restroom structure nonstop:shock:They aren't watching for waves:laughing:

I have noticed people sitting in their cars but down the parking lot away from the beach entrance. Reminded me of the apartment I once lived in. A little park across the road was known for gays hooking up at night. The cops raided them a couple times a year with under cover men and arrested my next door neighbor. BOY was he in the closet, I had no idea. I moved the following month. Since they now seem to have rights they need to clean up their nasty habits and act properly with respect to others. I have never seen anyone walking around the bathrooms like you mention. I have never seen guys sitting on the tables either except for one homeless guy and one old guy reading the paper. Nobody seems to use that beach unless it is hot summer time.

Dang, now I don't want to hunt there. I will call it Fruit Cake Beach now. Fruity as Pebbles Cereal. :laughing: American Beach Established in 1926 and now home of the Fruit Cakes. NO wonder there are less women on that beach. :shock: I have never seen any gays on the beach there being obvious either. Maybe they followed you there? heheheeeee!!! Sorry.

Last edited:
I have noticed people sitting in their cars but down the parking lot away from the beach entrance. Reminded me of the apartment I once lived in. A little park across the road was known for gays hooking up at night. The cops raided them a couple times a year with under cover men and arrested my next door neighbor. BOY was he in the closet, I had no idea. I moved the following month. Since they now seem to have rights they need to clean up their nasty habits and act properly with respect to others. I have never seen anyone walking around the bathrooms like you mention. I have never seen guys sitting on the tables either except for one homeless guy and one old guy reading the paper. Nobody seems to use that beach unless it is hot summer time.

Dang, now I don't want to hunt there. I will call it Fruit Cake Beach now. Fruity as Pebbles Cereal. :laughing: American Beach Established in 1926 and now home of the Fruit Cakes. NO wonder there are less women on that beach. :shock:
:laughing:That weekend at Burneys sting title had me busting stitches:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom