Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

Default Start of a new Detector Storage/Transport Box

After the recent purchase of a Vaquero with 3 additional coils and lower rods, it was obvious I needed a way to stow them as well as take them to the field.

While out today I picked-up what I thought might work well, along with being about as lightweight as I could get. Time will tell on durability.

Dimensions (taken from the tag) are 31.25"x 17.5"x14" (I rounded up a few decimal points to make it a more standard dimension).

My thoughts are to add vertical dividers with foam lined "slots" to slide the lower rods (with coils attached) into, and staggering them (coli on left, then coil on right) to maximize space. I'll do something similar with the upper/control box section. I'll probably see if I can't fit at least 2, and possibly 3 complete detectors in it.

It also has wheels on one end so it can be pulled as opposed to just carried. May take me a few days to work-out the details and put them in place, so I'll update this as things progress.

Oh, cost was $20

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

Great idea! I can't wait to see the final outcome of your project.

Fisher F70, Fisher F44, Fisher F2, 2020 clad: $0.73, Silver coins: 0, Indian heads: 0, Wheaties: 1, Gold rings: 0, Silver rings: 0, Total clad: $287.53 (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 38, Gold rings: 4

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Headphones, modding detectors, now carrying cases...When do you ever make time to get out and actually use your equipment?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bruinvikes View post
Great idea! I can't wait to see the final outcome of your project.
Ask, and ye shall receive I was supposed to have had plans today, but they got postponed.

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Headphones, modding detectors, now carrying cases...When do you ever make time to get out and actually use your equipment?
Well....I could ask the same of you, as much great advice that you freely share here often. I guess we're just examples of no rest for the wicked eh?

Trust me, if the weather were cooperative, I'd be out there (not that I'm not already "out there" )

OK, after actually setting down and putting some actual thought into it, I was able to simplify it a bunch! And that means less time. So here's the end results.

I have a Vaquero, a Compadre, and a Cibola (all with rods) and a total of 7 coils. There's actually room for a couple more coils.

All the foam blocks are glued in place. I didn't spend a lot of time putting it together (and it shows), but it's just a box to haul detectors in. It'll get banged-around, ride in the truck, and eventually crack to the extent of requiring replacement. When that time comes, I can spend $20, buy a duplicate box, and transfer all the guts into it and start the cycle over. Now I can grab this and put 3 complete detectors in the truck with several coils. My DeLeon will stay in it's own little home (box), and I still have a gear bag for everything else.

I'll weigh this sometime, but would guess it's not over 12-15 pounds loaded.

Lined the bottom with ether (soft) foam, and used plank (rigid) foam to contain everything.

I laid a piece of soft foam across the control boxes so when the lid's closed they're "captured" in their holders. I'll probably end-up gluing the foam to the lid so I don't have to handle it to remove detectors.

And we all know.......

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM

That's an awesome case for sure! Nice job

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Nice!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Moved On

Good job!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Elite Member

very cool

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks for posting that. I just started looking for something similar only low profile for the back of my Jeep. Your post makes me wonder if I could cut the bottom half off that box and create a new bottom with maybe a piece of plywood. It would be easier and fater than building one from scratch.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JimboG View post
Thanks for posting that. I just started looking for something similar only low profile for the back of my Jeep. Your post makes me wonder if I could cut the bottom half off that box and create a new bottom with maybe a piece of plywood. It would be easier and fater than building one from scratch.
Jimbo, there's all sorts of sizes of these, so look around and you may find exactly what you need. I've had a few Jeeps, and one I'd just enclosed the front side of the rear inner fenders, then put a lid on it with a hinge and padlock, then carpeted it. It gave me some secure storage (since it did't have a tailgate). Not sure if you're wanting something more portable than that though.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Elite Member

I'd decided I really didn't like the piece of soft foam over the control boxes to contain them, plus because I'd slightly undersized the slots for the shafts to fit into it caused them to slightly splay-outwards, I decided to ditch the foam and just a Velcro strap over each:

And while I was at it, I'd added straps to keep the spare coils from being jostled-around:

I may see about mounting the other rods to the underside of the lid instead of having them in the same area as the other coils that are already on lower shafts.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Elite Member

I'd picked-up some velcro straps the other day (just to have) and just got out the hot glue gun, so now I can strap the shafts inside the lid.

I may add something else between the stiffening ribs (inside the lid) to carry fresh batteries.

Also, the Tesoros I have all share the same shafts (center and lower), so I can assemble the 2 lower shafts with the coil I want, wrap the coil cable around the shafts (leaving enough at the top to make the connection at the control box), and velcro it at the top. Then if I want to swap coils it's just a matter of disconnecting the connector, popping the shaft out of the s-handle, popping the other in and connecting the cable. Makes coil changes easier and quicker.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM

Talking

Very Nice

Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 PM

Nice work! I like it. Although I would be careful with the hit glue, dosent hold that well to smooth surfaces.

But if it sticks your golden!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Gauntlet - nice work. The only thing I would do is not advertise what is in the box via the bumper sticker - nothing wrong with it, I just don't like to tell people what's in my vehicle, or container of any kind. It's a great idea, and I have been thinking of something similar for my car (had to sell the truck...). Great job!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tin Fin View post
Gauntlet - nice work. The only thing I would do is not advertise what is in the box via the bumper sticker - nothing wrong with it, I just don't like to tell people what's in my vehicle, or container of any kind. It's a great idea, and I have been thinking of something similar for my car (had to sell the truck...). Great job!
Thanks!

I'm never out of "range" from the truck, which has an alarm as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
THE JUICE

looks great..............well except for that sticker on the lid

Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dogpound View post
looks great..............well except for that sticker on the lid

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Elite Member