Help with Whites Classic IDX

SargentClad

I just purchased this machine from a pawn shop, It was missing the battery holder which I ordered from Whites. I only paid $30 for the machine that was in excellent condition so I expected it to be not working. For the price it was worth the gamble. It turns on and everything seems to work except the sound cuts in and out. If I play with the sensitivity knob the sound will come on and then go off. Is there anything I could check before I mail it off to the repair center?

I just purchased this machine from a pawn shop, It was missing the battery holder which I ordered from Whites. I only paid $30 for the machine that was in excellent condition so I expected it to be not working. For the price it was worth the gamble. It turns on and everything seems to work except the sound cuts in and out. If I play with the sensitivity knob the sound will come on and then go off. Is there anything I could check before I mail it off to the repair center?

Outstanding deal!

The pots/dials might be dirty, a spray of electronic cleaner might cure the problem. Make sure that the battery holder is making good contact, if it isn't you could make a shim out of a piece of cardboard,etc. and put it between the holder and the battery door.

you can check out whitesforum. Slyfox on there is tester for them and full of info. White's also has great customer service and reasonable if needing repairs (from what I've been reading on this and other forums). does your sound go out with only messing with sensitivity or also tuner adjustment (if have it)? occasionally my battery's in box shift to cut off power. Usually only when initial turn on. that's why I keep my unit at slight hum with tuner adjust. Anyhow, download owners manual from whites website and see if it's maybe your set up first. hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, tried a few things with no luck. Packaged it up to send it to Electronic Explorations for repair.

That is a good basic detector and the first one I owned. In all metal and pinpoint it is pretty deep plus it still gives you ID too. I sold mine (mistake) which had the 9 inch and sniper coil to a friend, it was stolen from their garage 2 months later. I will see if they still have the sniper coil.

Back
Top Bottom