Don't know how you guys do it

Dflan83

Elite Member
Went to the beach for a week ( good shores) and tried to water hunt with the ctx. Conditions were yellow flag every day but I was getting battered by waves so bad I would almost fall over and trying to scoop a Target before the next wave knocks me out of place was almost impossible. How do you do it?

I mostly stuck to the wet and dry sand

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There's probably no detecting more difficult than trying to do it in those conditions. A few hours of that in the morning is a beating and I'm usually sore for the rest of the day. Swinging the coil in current is also difficult and will give your forearm quite the workout.

Detecting in those conditions are not much fun. If you are on vacation you are stuck. Next time you plan a vacation detecting, find a plan "B". Plan B would be beaches protected from surf. Most areas have them but you need to research. Good luck and stay safe.

Detecting in those conditions are not much fun. If you are on vacation you are stuck. Next time you plan a vacation detecting, find a plan "B". Plan B would be beaches protected from surf. Most areas have them but you need to research. Good luck and stay safe.
Thanks for the ideas guys. Ctx was working well in the water I just couldn't keep up hah

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hunt early mornings when the water is calmer, watch the winds (off shore winds the best) and get out past the breakers (out before the start to roll). And you blade them by giving the waves less body area. (Turned sideways but still an open eye to them) No need to get beat up over gold. Timing is everything.
:twister:

Water hunting is always more challenging with waves but it becomes a little easier when you have muscle-memory to scoop targets. (Reminds me blindfolded karate, lol). This muscle-memory or perhaps intuition enables you to swing over a target, position yourself appropriately, and immediately place your scoop in the "RIGHT" spot without looking down.

Sometimes half the trouble is just having your scoop oriented the right direction. If you struggle with that, add an identifier to the handle so you know which way is forward without having to actually look at the scoop. Even a strip of duct-tape will work and at least hold for a few hunts.

Best o' luck and keep at it!

Attachments

• Blindfold.jpg
    Blindfold.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 271
Water hunting is always more challenging with waves but it becomes a little easier when you have muscle-memory to scoop targets. (Reminds me blindfolded karate, lol). This muscle-memory or perhaps intuition enables you to swing over a target, position yourself appropriately, and immediately place your scoop in the "RIGHT" spot without looking down.

Sometimes half the trouble is just having your scoop oriented the right direction. If you struggle with that, add an identifier to the handle so you know which way is forward without having to actually look at the scoop. Even a strip of duct-tape will work and at least hold for a few hunts.

Best o' luck and keep at it!

And when you have mastered this you will be ready to take the pebble from the hand...I mean the gold from the water!

Attachments

• kungfusnatchthepebble.jpg
    kungfusnatchthepebble.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 265
I avoid those conditions like the plague, Very frustrating when you got a good target and you just can't get it out because your taking a beating.If im in the water its calm or else i will hunt the slope.I give guys like OBN lots of props for pulling targets out of the surf...

All the guys have given good advice. But my thought is always Star Trek it. Boldly go where no man has gone before. :lol: Man I go for it if I find a ditch or a or a low area. When I get too tired, I do the wet sand and when I'm rested I return again. Never give up. Gold waits on no one. Besides. The ruff surf brings off more jewelry.

A large scoop with a assist handle helps you control the full bucket and sift it quickly to see if you captured the little boogah.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 225
Hey ROBOTCOP, can I ask where you got those assist handles?

We make them in two different sizes for different handle diameters.

Carbon fiber handles are slightly larger than the more common wood handles at 1 1/4 inches. Milled aluminum so they are very lightweight.

Back
Top Bottom