Second beach hunt with the CTX - After a storm

sandgroper

Elite Member
Yesterday, after discovering that our local beach had been eroded by recent storms, I decided to head out again today, to see if I can maybe find some more coins or jewellery. I was not disappointed :)

First thing I notice is that all the seaweed from the main beach had disappeared (which is good because now I can hunt here too), but I was horrified to see that it had been carried by the waves down to the section of the beach where I found most of the stuff yesterday.

I slowly worked my way down to the seaweed, starting at the main beach. This part of the beach was hardly eroded, and I only found a $1 coin and a very badly corroded 10c piece.

However, as I was getting closer to the seaweed, I started finding more and more coins, all corroded, but they're coins! Turned out the seaweed acted as a barrier for the waves, so I could hunt very close to the surf without getting wet.

Overall, it was a very productive hour (didn't have much time, so I might head out again tomorrow), but I didn't cover much ground because there were that many targets. A lot of the coins were lying on the sand, or just barely covered. I took a picture of one (I believe it's a 20c coin). I also dug a huge hole just for a bloody can! CTX told me it's 20cm deep, but I ended up digging half a metre for it! No jewellery today, but maybe tomorrow! ;)

Attachments

• coin in sand.jpg
    coin in sand.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 319
  • proper.jpg
    proper.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 308
Nice observations! The same thing happens up here with the exposed roots of the dune grass acting like a riffle filter or something...the coins get washed up in there and captured...

Attachments

• blow.jpg
    blow.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 284
Nice observations! The same thing happens up here with the exposed roots of the dune grass acting like a riffle filter or something...the coins get washed up in there and captured...

That's a nice big cut! Some sections of 'my' beach look like that too! Except, the waves are breaking about 11yards from the cut, and not that close!

Our first TS formed last night off the west coast and is slowly moving onshore this morning. There will not be as much erosion as you show, but it will uncover some greenies, crusties and hopefully some gold and silver.
You get my usual sigh showing your coin count & denomination, $1 coins are in circulation here , but hardly used, let alone found. Is the $2 your highest coin value?
DL

Our first TS formed last night off the west coast and is slowly moving onshore this morning. There will not be as much erosion as you show, but it will uncover some greenies, crusties and hopefully some gold and silver.
You get my usual sigh showing your coin count & denomination, $1 coins are in circulation here , but hardly used, let alone found. Is the $2 your highest coin value?
DL

Good luck when that TS makes landfall! Yes, the $2 is the highest denomination. They're so small too, that they're easily lost! :)

Looks like a good reason to return to the spot.

I've been wanting to get out again, but unfortunately I've got hardly any time at the moment!

I;m sure there's got to be more there. Hit it again Sam! If there's that much coinage there's at least a ring or two hiding in that water. Congrats on the finds

I;m sure there's got to be more there. Hit it again Sam! If there's that much coinage there's at least a ring or two hiding in that water. Congrats on the finds

Thanks Numil! I desperately want to go there again, but I don't have much time right now. Maybe on the weekend. I really hope the coins will still be there! I've already found a silver ring there, so I'm hopeful there'll be more, and perhaps some gold too! :)

Back
Top Bottom