My Letter to Minelab: FINAL UPDATE!!! (Posted at End of Thread)

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
After getting my Excal 1000, “Merlin”, a few weeks ago, I had done tons of reading, research and watched lots of videos on its use and operation. I saw many, if not all, of OBN’s modding videos and few others as well. My friend Jim, that’s an electronics wiz, did all my repairs on Merlin. The only thing he did not replace because I was unable to locate one was the cracked Ikelite connector - the one that goes from the electronics pod to the battery pod. Jim thought that, despite the crack in the connector, that connector would hold. At the moment, he’s got my detector and he will be removing the silicone grease and epoxying the whole area within the connector. Although this may not be end up being the culprit, I do not see anything else that could be causing faulty operation after submersion in water. Regardless, I have learned something about Minelab and its Excals that I am sharing in my email to them below. If I receive a response, I will share it with an UPDATE.

Hi,
I recently purchased a used Minelab 1000 that needed work done to it. I have other detectors made by other companies but this is my 1st Minelab detector. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that’s an electronics expert that did the repairs needed on it so that it would be able to operate it. He replaced the rotted cable sheathing and fixed a battery solder connection that had been done improperly by the previous owner. The only thing he was unable to replace was the Ikelite battery connector which he said was cracked but still usable. This is the connector that goes from the electronics pod to the battery pod. After using it in the water, the Ikelite connector just isn’t working properly and water is seeping in impacting the proper operation of the detector. The part will be able to be epoxied for a permanent repair but I preferred to replace it altogether. After much research, I have looked into buying the part but it doesn’t seem to be available. (Ikelite Part #4101). Below is a picture of the part in question. Additionally, I called the Ikelite company in the USA and they told me that the part is discontinued. I called Kellyco Detectors, which is as far as I know, your only authorized repair center in the USA and they will not just sell me the part. They stated that “I must send the detector in for repair”.

On the metal detecting forums which I am a part, there are many stories on how repairs at Kellyco Detectors are taking an inordinate amount of time. I’ve heard of repairs for “non-warranty” work taking even months. I do not understand how I cannot just buy the part so that I can make my own repair? Much like an automobile owner. The Minelab Excalibur is not a discontinued detector so I find this inability to purchase a part for it, or to be forced to send it in to 1 specific company for a simple repair, bordering on extortion. I could understand a bit of unreasonableness if the part was a proprietary circuit board, but this is a connector that was used in other products that were not just metal detectors. At this time, I respectfully request that Minelab review its policies on the selling of these parts so that owners of Excaliburs can make their own repairs if they choose to do so. It is my belief that this policy change would be favorable for Minelab and eliminate much of the negative comments regarding repair issues in the USA.
Sincerely,
Felix ******

BTW - This is where I sent my email to [email protected] in case any of you want to write to them as well or direct me somewhere else.

UPDATE #1

Minleab Americas responded! I am impressed with the timely response. Here's their message below:

Good morning Felix,

I am waiting on an answer as to whether we can send this part you for a customer repair, I will have an answer for you today. If it needs to come in for repair, we do have another service center in Arizona and this technician handles all of our gold detectors and most recently our Excalibur’s and his repair timeframe is 2 to 3 weeks. But at this time let me find out 1st if we can send the part to you and we can proceed from there.

Cindy L Wilson
Customer Technical Support Coordinator
Minelab Electronics | 1938 University Lane, Suite A, Lisle, IL 60532
T: +1 (630) 401 8159 | F: +1(630) 401-8178 | E: [email protected]

UPDATE #2
I just got another response from Minelab and they're willing to sell me the part. I think this is satisfactory if its sold at a reasonable price so we'll see. However, I don't think that anyone should have to go through all this to buy that part. It should just be available for order.

Felix ******,

We understand your situation and would like to get the part shipped to you based on the ability to replace it yourself or through a friend which you have stated in your email. If you could please send us your shipping address we will work up an invoice based on pricing for the part plus shipping, but understand this part will be warranted in new condition and once it's installed will no longer be covered by Minelab Americas, we are only able to warranty parts that have been installed by one of our technicians. Once we receive payment we will get the part shipped right away.

Best regards,

Brian Lewis
ASC West
Minelab Americas | 1938 University Lane Suite A, Lisle, IL 60532 USA.
T: 1-877-767-6522 | F: +1-630-401-8184 | E: [email protected]

Attachments

• Ikelite 4101.jpg
    Ikelite 4101.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
I got your back Felix.....I was ignored at Kellyco while visiting last Nov. I have a letter brewing....

Since Kellyco sponsors the findmall forum, I really think you need to copy this message and post it there. Let all of that publicity sink in......ill be sure to post my response letter there too.

FWIW, they use the same connector on the aquapulse and the old 1st gen sea hunter. Almost two years ago I contacted them for an ikelite connector for my SH and they said they didn't stock them. Forget the gals name that told me that, but she still works there.

Doesn't work for me know either. Maybe you can email and see if they have any laying around

This link works for me, works for you Felix?

https://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/

Doug, that link works, thanks. I saw the connector there and its listed as Part #4101, which matches, but the plastic connecting sleeve and the way it connects to the cable in the back look different. Not willing to take the chance. The issue is still the principal of the whole matter. If any of you out there have purchased this particular Ikelite connector, and made it work, please let me know.

I think mine lab may not be a 100% at fault. Sounds like the manufacturer of that piece stopped making them. Also if it used in underwater cameras there got to be some connectors that replaced this part ?

I think mine lab may not be a 100% at fault. Sounds like the manufacturer of that piece stopped making them. Also if it used in underwater cameras there got to be some connectors that replaced this part ?
So where is Minelab and Kellyco getting the new ones for repairs and the new Excals they're selling? Whether or not Ikelite in the USA stopped making them is irrelevant. Somebody in this world is making them - AND they should be made available for purchase. The connectors that were replaced for the underwater cameras are also probably far superior to the ones being used in the new $1,500 detectors too!

I agree they should be available to anyone who needs them . I wonder who is making them now?

Felix I have posted on a couple of forums about the deplorable situation that owners of Minelab machines find themselves in when it comes to repairs. My first email to Minelab Usa Customer Service went unanswered. I later sent a much stronger worded message and got an answer. Of course The Lady wanted to talk on the phone while I prefer to do my talking in writing. She finally showed up on one of the forums and even finally sent me an email telling me that she could not find a machine under my name. So I had to tell her what my name is that I use for all business transactions. I gave her the information and lo and behold my machine is repaired and back on the way home after Only 16 Weeks.

Marty is doing all humanly possible but one person can not keep up with the work load.

I am told that New Management is very concerned and taking action to correct the problem

When it comes to Minelab I am not from Missouri but don't tell me what you are going to do "Show Me".

Cindy is the Customer Service Rep for Minelab USA.

E-Mail" [email protected] .

Waterproof connector

If you need a waterproof connector why not just buy a good connector like a LEMO or Amphenol? They work as good or better than what I see in your pictures. You can buy just 1 !

If you need a waterproof connector why not just buy a good connector like a LEMO or Amphenol? They work as good or better than what I see in your pictures. You can buy just 1 !

Please post a link if you can. NOTE: Connecting the cable that comes out of the electronics pod to the battery connector is one thing and then connecting the connector to the battery pod is another. My electronics buddy says that he believes that he could engineer a connection from the battery charging Ikelite one that sells for $75. At that price I'll just epoxy it and move on though. I believe the Minelab part should be available for sale just like the stupid and expensive 9V battery holder for my CZ-21 that costs $40 and I've replaced twice.

Minelab may wish to do the repair themselves so they are able to pressure test the whole machine before putting it back in service. After all it could be nearly 20 years old.

Doug, that link works, thanks. I saw the connector there and its listed as Part #4101, which matches, but the plastic connecting sleeve and the way it connects to the cable in the back look different. Not willing to take the chance. The issue is still the principal of the whole matter. If any of you out there have purchased this particular Ikelite connector, and made it work, please let me know.

Most welcome.

I don't know the company but they are local to me.

Back
Top Bottom