Brick......i Hate Brick.

cammobunker

Forum Supporter
So they dug out a street in the part of town that's been around since pre-civil war days.
So I thought, ok, good stuff, bound to be some stuff there eh?

Sunday AM...I'm not feeling so great, tired and just pretty run down. But, I need to go hit this street. I load up and get there around 10ish. It's only low 70s, nice day, slight breeze. I find they have scooped one end of the block down a good 7-8 FEET deep.....we are down to the last Ice Age now, no point looking there, although I did for a bit. The other end only has the blacktop off now so should be good for some finds.
Or not.
Seems the street had the pavement laid over the the last street material from around 1900 or so I think. They just dumped about 6 inches of road base down and poured.
Oh, the road before paving? It's brick. :mad: Yeah, fricking brick about 2-3 inches after they tore off the blacktop. This isn't your wimpy, hollow, modern brick like decorates the outside of those McMansions down the road. No, brothers and sisters, this is brick. The kind of brick that just laughs at your efforts to dislodge it. This is brick that my US Army 1945 dated e-tool just glances off of without leaving a mark.
After an hour I was a near-heat case. The combination of little wind, no shade (east-west street) and the reflection from the white rock road base defeated me. And that brick! I curse the brick! I hate the brick!

Now I've got to find where they took all the dirt from the street!

They did the same thing back in Illinois on a st. near my area. Dug way down too deep past the bricks and hauled the goods away. Find out where they hauled the fill...............

I've see that done before. Some of the old brick that's under some roads here is actually carved granite--pretty amazing what they used to go through to build a road. They're tearing out a section of street close to me, which used to be the Sante Fe Trail, so later tonight I'm planning on hitting it.

Jeez. Were the Romans in your town, too? My disappointment today was going to a lot that had an original Colonial home once and finding impenetrable sticker bushes all over. Silly me didn't even look for poison ivy. I think I'm safe, though.

I think this one is taunting you...lol

Attachments

• the_brick_large.jpg
    the_brick_large.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 137
I went to the road tear-out, but they had already backfilled it with AB3, so I went over the area behind the curb, but it's right next to railroad tracks, and impossible to hunt from all the hot rocks and pieces of copper and brass. I'll pay closer attention, and when they tear out the next section get there that night. Here's a pic of one of the many hot rocks:

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom