Straight shafted my Vaquero

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Been wanting to see how using a straight shaft detector felt, being as I'm a bit taller, and sometimes actually kick the coil..... plus I was bored this AM.

I had been considering trying this, especially every time I ran across a couple extra extendable aluminum paint poles out in the shed, or seen someone make mention of it here.

P8110036.jpg

P8110037.jpg

I used the inner piece, since it was a pretty close fit to the lower shaft fitting into it. I drilled for both lock buttons (instead of the one on the factory shaft), and drilled both sides of the shaft, so 4 buttons instead of 2. I did that because there's no twist lock on it, and this virtually eliminated 95% of any play. I did add a couple wraps of black tape on the lower shaft, just inside the new straight shaft to eliminate the rest of any play.

I still need to clean-up the holes to allow the other button to pop the rest of the way out.

P8110040.jpg

I was going to go buy a clamp-on handle, but since I wasn't sure I would even like this set-up, I opted to use what I had. I cut another piece from the left-over of the shaft, and slipped a tight fitting piece of wooden dowel inside, then drilled and countersunk a couple stainless screws into the side of it so the aluminum would stay in place in relationship to the dowel. Then I just put a 2" stainless screw through the bottom of the straight shaft, up into the center of the wooden dowel. This was after filing the bottom of the handle to fit the radius of the shaft.

P8110038.jpg

I also let the lower shaft slip up into the new straight shaft more than "normal" as an additional way to eliminate play. I'm not concerned about any adjustment, because I fit it to suit me, so it won't need changed.

P8110043.jpg

I forgot to put the black plastic plug back into the end, and I flipped the arm cuff over since my arm doesn't fit into it as is, and come colder weather, my arm (jacket) would just be resting on the top edges of the cuff.

P8110039.jpg

Turned out awesome!

Can't believe how compact some of those control boxes can be..

If you ever want to water hunt, check out Ground Sweeper's waterproof compadre..

<°)))>{

That looks like a professional job! You may have a new full time job....

Thanks! Had a job once, didn't care for it :laughing:

Turned out awesome!

Can't believe how compact some of those control boxes can be..

If you ever want to water hunt, check out Ground Sweeper's waterproof compadre..

<°)))>{

Thanks! That's one of the things I love about Tesoros, lightweight. I never was much of a water hunter, but I did see somewhere where a guy took the guts out of a Compadre and mounted them in a set of headphones. Id be in on that if I could find a set of cups large enough.

I was still bored, so I did the GB modded Cibola. This time I mounted the control box up top. I still need to put a toggle on the back side of the handle for pinpoint, and get a couple caps for the tubing under the control box.

I did make this one where I could use the center piece of the Tesoro shaft, so it'll break-down smaller. If I like the straight shafts, I may go back and do the same to the Vaquero.

P8120037.jpg

P8120038.jpg

P8120039.jpg

P8120040.jpg

P8120042.jpg

Looks good Gauntlet!

If you are gentle with a heat gun you can heat the arm cuffs
and bend them out a bit to make more room.

Thanks!

I did get the pinpoint button put back on, so she's ready to hunt again! I still plan to find a plug to replace the cap the button is is, as it would set the button down a little closer to the control box.

P8120043.jpg

That's a pretty sweet idea!

I was wondering why the arm cuff was upside down. Now i know!

Just an FYI for anyone considering doing the same.

Used the Vaquero today, don't like it and will be putting it back on the stock shaft ASAP.

Haven't tried the Cibola yet, but I can't see it as being any better, but I'll use it once just t be sure.

Why? Seems like I have to grip the vertical handle tighter, whereas with the "S" shaft, it sort of rests on my pointer finger knuckle.

The Cibola might be better, since it can also rest on the top of my hand, which is the reason I'll try it before swapping it back.

You may like it, just happens I don't. Just know that going-in.

ETA: Forgot to mention.....the inverted arm cup? Nope, it got flipped back over as well. On a sweaty forearm there isn't enough there to prevent it from sliding around under your arm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom