Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by chillforlife View post
Did you cut holes in the fingers to get them on the handle?
nope, just put them on my hands continued detecting and using my scoop... no more black hands from the aluminum. I suppose I could have cut holes in the fingers and wasted a good pair of gloves sliding them over the handle... guess us traditional dirt diggers think differently when it comes to gloves.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Get the handle anodized.

You can do it yourself if you can get enough Sulphuric acid, and a power supply.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Honaker View post
so I bought an aluminum sand scoop with an aluminum handle. I like the scoop but the handle turned my hands black as coal. What would be the be wrap or something to cover it.
It's the oxidation. Mine does that too. I just wear a neoprene glove on that hand. it's more comfortable that way, anyway.

If you wanted to just get a wrap, any wrap will do, from tape to racket tape. I prefer mine smooth though, so I can slide my hand up it during a shift from carrying to digging.

Cheers,

Skippy

Ring total as of 9/25/2018 = 103

Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Default Aluminum scoop handle cover

I have one of those scoops and I bought a 2 inch shrink wrap tubing , 4 feet long then heated it up while on the scoop now I donít have any Black hands

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by langsy View post
I have one of those scoops and I bought a 2 inch shrink wrap tubing , 4 feet long then heated it up while on the scoop now I donít have any Black hands
Do you have a photo of that? Sounds interesting

Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Mud Hole Tackle sells larger diameter shrink tubing for fishing rod handles, comes in a bunch of colors. Should work well for your intended use.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Do you have a photo of that? Sounds interesting
This is photo of the handle the plastic shrink wrap slipped over the handle easily with extra space then I used a torch to heat the wrap and it tightened up around the pole, no more black hands
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Shrink wrap tube

I bought this tube on eBay their are several colors to choose from . In the search pu 2.5 inch width heat shrink wrap tubing thatís 2.5 inch flattened out

Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Aluminum sand scoop cover

Originally Posted by Honaker View post
so I bought an aluminum sand scoop with an aluminum handle. I like the scoop but the handle turned my hands black as coal. What would be the be wrap or something to cover it.
I used a 2.5 inch heat shrink wrap tubing flatten out its 2.5 inches and 4 got long I put on the scoop handle .. hereís some pictures you can order it on eBay different colors
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

This is photo of the handle the plastic shrink wrap slipped over the handle easily with extra space then I used a torch to heat the wrap and it tightened up around the pole, no more black hands
Thats a very, very bad thing to do.

Aluminum was never a good choice for saltwater, but if using it it needs air. The natural oxide finish it develops is what keeps it "healthy". Molecular coatings are good and paint is safe enough as long as you can inspect it (no hidden spots). Simply covering aluminum = corrosion. See all that white in the pic you posted? Thats your aluminum handle rotting away. Aluminum + lack of oxygen + corrosive environment = guaranteed corrosion.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 08-22-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Aluminum handle

Thatís ok if it rots away, itís been a good scoop for 5 years with that covering . When it does break I will put a wood handle in it . Thanks for the info

Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 PM

Thatís ok if it rots away, itís been a good scoop for 5 years with that covering . When it does break I will put a wood handle in it . Thanks for the info

Maybe just don't cover the most stressed parts near the scoop and it'll be fine.....?

Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 AM
Supporter

5 years cant ask for much more than that. Could always put a 24hr marine epoxy on the shaft.. then your heat wrap over the wet epoxy. This should keep it air/water tight so corrosion has no chance to start.
Thanks for the photo