Thinking of selling my 600 and buying the 800

Ohiodigger

Elite Member
So I have the Equinox 600, and have found some amazing coins with it, don’t have any complaints, and there is nothing wrong with it. But, I can’t help this feeling that I should have the 800. I can afford to upgrade, that’s not a concern, just wondering if there is an upside to having the 800. I already have the sr-71 Bluetooth headphones, so that isn’t an issue. Is there anyone who has ran both and can tell me if I should upgrade or just stay with the 600. I can’t shake this feeling that I am missing out!

I bought both the 600 and 800 and like both. After some time I decided that the 600 seemed to fit my needs fine as a coin hunter so I sold the 800.
A month later I'm calling up my buddy Jeff at Quality detectors telling him I need another EQ800 LOL!
Don't know if it is just a coincidence or not but The 800 just seemed to find more. Took the new 800 out yesterday and hit a Merc and buff in the same hole also 2 silver rings and a silver necklace. All at good depth in a place I have detected for 30 years.
Decided I am just going to keep both units.
I did set my 600 up with the Miccus SR-71 headphones as well as bought a spare WM08 for it.
If you can afford to keep both you can let a friend use one or keep it "just in case" you may experience an issue with one.

I want the 800 just for the User Profile. It bugs me to have all my settings lost after each power on/off cycle. Seems like it would at least store your current settings. I can understand not having a permanent profile storage after changing modes/settings, but having to start from scratch every time, lousy/lazy programming.

I want the 800 just for the User Profile. It bugs me to have all my settings lost after each power on/off cycle. Seems like it would at least store your current settings. I can understand not having a permanent profile storage after changing modes/settings, but having to start from scratch every time, lousy/lazy programming.

:?:

I have not run 600 model.

I can say though based on actual testing my 800 unit using park 2 and field 2 detect modes there are some coins and relics when I compared using speed 6 vs 7, my chances of locating these objects not as good using speed 6 based on what I witnessed.

I even found a larger nonferrous find in a beat up site near this old house, I was using speed 8. After checking this signal using speed 7,I am not so sure I would have been alerted to it.

So imo the 800 unit will up the odds on some objects in polluted sites.
Not all, but in an already hard hunted site I’ll take all the help I can get.

Gold modes/prospecting modes on the 800 unit is a slicer and dicer too in nail ridden sites.

Naturally for the night hunters having more levels of brightness adjustment is nice on the 800.

Btw, when I take my Nox to an already hard hunted site, especially sites that have had Etrac/CTX exposure, I go straight to speed 7 Park 2. And I like what I have been seeing performance/find wise.

Last edited:
No one can really answer this question for you because it really depends on your needs and how you hunt...

Ask yourself:

Do you need the wireless headphones? No you already answered that
Do you need the extra options? IDK we don't really know what settings you are using and what else you might need. What settings are you using?
Do you need gold mode? We don't really know this either. Do you hunt for gold nuggets?

Then read this from Minelab written by Steve Herschbach: https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

Now how I made my choice...

I am a beach hunter 100% of the time. No difference in the 600 vs 800 for me. I use waterproof headphones so both the 600/800 headphones are worthless. I will never use gold mode - ever. I will never use park or field modes - ever. I use beach 1 and beach 2. RS is set at default. Iron bias 0. The 800 would of been a worthless upgrade for me. But for you? Go through the questions and see if you need it. Depending on how you hunt those features could be a deal breaker.

This is incorrect. The 600 keeps all of your settings.

No one can really answer this question for you because it really depends on your needs and how you hunt...

Ask yourself:

Do you need the extra options? IDK we don't really know what settings you are using and what else you might need. What settings are you using?
Do you need gold mode? We don't really know this either. Do you hunt for gold nuggets?

Then read this from Minelab written by Steve Herschbach: https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

I am a beach hunter 100% of the time. No difference in the 600 vs 800 for me. I use waterproof headphones so both the 600/800 headphones are worthless. I will never use gold mode - ever. I will never use park or field modes - ever. I use beach 1 and beach 2. RS is set at default. Iron bias 0. The 800 would of been a worthless upgrade for me. But for you? Go through the questions and see if you need it. Depending on how you hunt those features could be a deal breaker.

Then mine has a glitch. It resets every time. The only thing mine stores is which detecting mode I am in. It resets my threshold volume, number of tones and iron bias setting every time I power down. I have even done a factory reset then adjust my settings, still loses everything after a power down.

Then mine has a glitch. It resets every time. The only thing mine stores is which detecting mode I am in. It resets my threshold volume, number of tones and iron bias setting every time I power down. I have even done a factory reset then adjust my settings, still loses everything after a power down.

Yeah, somethings not right. The nox even remembers ground balance setting which most do not. (for better or worse)

Ask yourself:

Ok, I run Park 2, sensitivity 15-20, Threshold 8-10, 50 tones, Iron Bias 0, RS usually 1, I also would not use gold mode.....

Also my 600 always keeps my settings, maybe you are accidentally doing a factory reset when you are starting up your machine....

A recommendation.
Do 3 full resets in a row.
Make sure to hold power button in for extended time.
Then try and see if your unit corrects.

I have the 600. I do feel it may be worth the extra money to have extra control over the retune speed and tone breaks , as well as a way to store my favorite settings since I often wander from them experimenting with others.....but I am pretty confident that none of those would actually help me find more. For most of us trading up to the 800 is ultimately just a lateral move. But if it will help your confidence and you are able to switch then it surely couldnt hurt anything.....anything but your wallet that is :lol:

Back
Top Bottom