Anyone tried this custom digger?

It looks like it would be too narrow for removing dirt. I think the teeth would hang up instead of cutting roots. Held together with a bolt that could work loose. Hard to tell from pictures. Just my opinion. Just go to Craigslist-Seattle-Metal Detector.

Also the fact it looks like a..........

No thanks lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Also the fact it looks like a..........

No thanks lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Dang, I didn't even think about that until I had a good look. :laughing:

I like it only because I see no welds BUT how much pry up pressure can it handle before the blade bends since it is one piece?

Hello - I haven't 'chimed' in for a while on the forum but this caught my interest (because I do metal fab/metal art work) and I am still planning on designing and building my own 'digger'. As far as this on is concerned I don't mind the bolted handle BUT it should have been through-bolted with the nut and washer hidden inside a machined out recess in the end of the handle. I do see the possibility of the bolt becoming loose and continued use might screw up the threads in the handle and continued tightening will strip the threads. Also I see no provision to support the handle to tighten the bolt (such a machined hex on the handle for a wrench to hold it while the bolt is being tightened. I see what I believe to be shallow 'flats' machined on the handle but they do not look deep enough to adequately hold a wrench. I foresee many of these with gnarled handles because the owner clamped the handle in a vise to tighten the bolt - and then stripping the threads. A 3/8" hole bored through the handle would have allowed a rod or screwdriver to be used to support the handle but through bolting would have eliminated the problem. I see no need for the double serrations other than it makes it ambidextrous but it would be simpler to make them right or left as the Lesch is. Reason is the majority will be right handed. Also I do not see the formed 'gusset' at the rear of the blade as is very prominent on the Lesch. As previously mentioned flex at the hilt might be an issue without it. Also it looks a little too rounded on the the tip. Just my 2c worth.

... As far as this on is concerned I don't mind the bolted handle BUT it should have been through-bolted with the nut and washer hidden inside a machined out recess in the end of the handle....
Wouldn't that have required a weld of some sort since the metal going across is flat and there is nothing to recess into so you would have to cut out a hole and add a recess section/piece?

Wouldn't that have required a weld of some sort since the metal going across is flat and there is nothing to recess into so you would have to cut out a hole and add a recess section/piece?
I don't think I was very clear! The handle will be bored through entirely so the bolt will be in the entire length. The recess will be a larger hole in the rear, but just large enough to allow a nut and a nominal size washer to fit. This way the blade is 'clamped' to the handle and not just relying on threads in the handle to tighten the bolt which yes, will come loose, eventually due to the forces against it. Tightening will be easy with a socket and wrench.

I don't think I was very clear! The handle will be bored through entirely so the bolt will be in the entire length. The recess will be a larger hole in the rear, but just large enough to allow a nut and a nominal size washer to fit. This way the blade is 'clamped' to the handle and not just relying on threads in the handle to tighten the bolt which yes, will come loose, eventually due to the forces against it. Tightening will be easy with a socket and wrench.

Ahhh, so going towards the blade will be the head of the bolt with a star washer or a lock washer with the nut in the handle at the back you mean?

Correct! It will look as it does now but a bird's eye look at the end of the handle will reveal a nut and washer inside a recess - Or, heck, don't waste the time to bore the rear recess. Just face the rear of the handle flat and the nut and washer can be exposed. Make the handle a 1/2" longer and your hand should never come in contact with the nut and washer. Also the hole going through the handle should be no larger that to allow the bolt to fit snugly so as to eliminate any movement.

Correct! It will look as it does now but a bird's eye look at the end of the handle will reveal a nut and washer inside a recess - Or, heck, don't waste the time to bore the rear recess. Just face the rear of the handle flat and the nut and washer can be exposed. Make the handle a 1/2" longer and your hand should never come in contact with the nut and washer. Also the hole going through the handle should be no larger that to allow the bolt to fit snugly so as to eliminate any movement.

Sounds good to me. I know these diggers are supposed to be great and all but 70 dollars for my George Lesche Predator 31C
31O2VHo67vL._SX425_.jpg
I just do not feel comfortable with welds.

Sounds good to me. I know these diggers are supposed to be great and all but 70 dollars for my George Lesche Predator 31C I just do not feel comfortable with welds.
31O2VHo67vL._SX425_.jpg

That is a cool looking tool! Now I have another project to add to my list. Heck, this will be easier to make than the 'digger'. I am sure I have some scrap that will work perfectly and an hour or two on the bench. Do not concern yourself with welds. Properly done they are stronger than the material welded and I do not think hand/arm pressure will ever be enough to break them, even a marginal weld.

That is a cool looking tool! Now I have another project to add to my list. Heck, this will be easier to make than the 'digger'. I am sure I have some scrap that will work perfectly and an hour or two on the bench.
It is an easy tool to make with the proper machines and some scrap and does a wonderful job with plugs (lots of MD vids on YT use the 31C and it is pretty awesome for city parks/turf). Get yours down to the 40 buck range and you will make mad cash.

Yours, and his, will/are both made by hand but his would cost twice as much because of his name and reputation.

Yep $70 seems a little steep for this particular tool. I may experiment with time and materials and see what I can do. Question for everyone - would you buy this tool if it did NOT come with the pouch?

Yep $70 seems a little steep for this particular tool. I may experiment with time and materials and see what I can do. Question for everyone - would you buy this tool if it did NOT come with the pouch?

I don't know but having something to hold it would be very nice and handy else I am unsure where I would put mine between digs and probably lose it otherwise.

I would...don't use the sheath anyway.....put a 12" - 16" ball or t-handle on that bad boy....perfect!! I'd be interested if you fab any up...gl and hh!!!

OH Yes IT is WORTH IT !!!!!

Sounds good to me. I know these diggers are supposed to be great and all but 70 dollars for my George Lesche Predator 31C
31O2VHo67vL._SX425_.jpg
I just do not feel comfortable with welds.

For those of us that have first-hand experience with the Raptor model 31.... it's worth every penny !!! This thing is a digging machine made with the finest quality materials and workmanship. The old saying holds true to " You get what you pay for". In the case of Predator Tools you get quality that really works !!! To each his own, you can buy the `^*#~ that bends and breaks to save a buck or find a piece of steel on the side of the road and try and copy these quality tools and/or get the right tool to begin with !!!!! your choice, choose well.:?:

For those of us that have first-hand experience with the Raptor model 31.... it's worth every penny !!! This thing is a digging machine made with the finest quality materials and workmanship. The old saying holds true to " You get what you pay for". In the case of Predator Tools you get quality that really works !!! To each his own, you can buy the `^*#~ that bends and breaks to save a buck or find a piece of steel on the side of the road and try and copy these quality tools and/or get the right tool to begin with !!!!! your choice, choose well.:?:

I suspect he can make a tool like that, EXACTLY like that, and sell it for half and still make double as pure profit because, as good as this tool really is, George Lesche doesn't have a corner on the market for such tools if someone has the proper machine(s) to make one.

Back
Top Bottom