Gold ring, or just an old ring?

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Went back to the V nickel park today, and decided to work along the creek side. The first two finds I dug were 1970 & 1940S Jefferson nickels, followed by a 1910 wheat. A little further down I got a deep solid 14 on the NOX, and started digging. A few inches down I encountered some thick roots. :mad: Not being deterred, I was able to get my digger down beside the main root, and remove soil. I kept checking with my pinpointer, and nothing. After thinking it was just a deep pulltab, I almost gave up, but decided to keep digging. Once I got the digger down far enough, I started to pick something up on the ProFind that was several inches under the main root. After doing some digging gymnastics, I pulled out a good handful of dirt, checked the hole, and nothing. Checked the dirt pile, and there it was!

20211201_140457 (2).jpg

20211201_140535 (2).jpg

After cleaning with water and toothbrush

20211201_154542 (2).jpg

The only mark I found was a makers mark that looks like a G B, or R?

20211201_154903 (2).jpg

After I was done for the day, I stopped by my hunting buddys house to show him. His first thoughts: definitely gold, and maybe a diamond? OH BOY! I told him Id take it to a jewelry store for their opinion. When the young lady looked at the stone, and tested the metal, she said not gold, and not a diamond :( Seeking a second opinion, I took it to the coin store, and the owner ran it under his light reader, and told me it read like a ruby or sapphire and added it didnt make sense because it is obviously clear. OK. I also asked him to test for gold, so he did an acid test, and said "its gold", and as he gave it back to me he stated $62.00. I told him I was going to take it home and clean it, and left.

Im not sure why one test said negative, while the other said gold? But having a coin guy whos been in business for quite awhile, and also deals in precious metals, make an offer like that (low ball) tells me he saw some value there, whether antique or precious stone and metal. I tried to look up the makers mark, but couldnt find anything yet. At the depth I found it, Im thinking its late 1800's or very early 1900s based on the dates of coins I have recovered from those depths.

Regardless of what the metal or stone is, its still a very nice looking ring, and definitely a keeper!

Thanks for looking, and HH!

BG=Buttery Gold! Love the old antique-y look of that thing! Glad you kept at it, and gave us a look at 'er! Very nice! I'll give you $63 for it...:?:

Thanks Foragist. Buttery gold? Is that a thing? When I looked it up all I saw was dairy butter. Is it like German silver? When the coin store people offer a price, you know its worth way more than that....unless its spot silver, gold, etc. And even then you need to keep an eye on things. :lol:

Thanks Foragist. Buttery gold? Is that a thing? When I looked it up all I saw was dairy butter. Is it like German silver? When the coin store people offer a price, you know its worth way more than that....unless its spot silver, gold, etc. And even then you need to keep an eye on things. :lol:

No, "buttery gold" is just slang for "I'm drooling over that buttery looking gold!"
The monogram trademark stamp is an old style; like 100 years old or more. No English or other national hallmarks, so I suspect it's US made. I just did a search and didn't find it. Gebhardt Bros, for example, had a different "GB" trademark, but maybe this is an earlier mark?

Whatever it is it's still a very attractive ring yo me and a nice keeper. Congratulations.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Probably a white sapphire...corundum. Red corundum is a ruby. But definitely take it somewhere that knows something and don't tell them you found it or they will take advantage of you. Say it's an heirloom and you just want to know what it is.

That's a very solid looking setting. What is the stone cut? Brilliant cut is generally used for modern round stones. If it isn't a brilliant cut, but an Old Mine cut and other older style cuts are less flashy. Cut may help date the ring to some extent.

Last edited:
Really nice old looking ring, congrats on the find Tommy. Shame on that guy for lowballing you, even at 10k that ring would be worth alot more. Will be interested to hear the outcome of a fair apprasial. Good luck, Mark

Whatever it is it's still a very attractive ring yo me and a nice keeper. Congratulations.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Thanks Don.

Probably a white sapphire...corundum. Red corundum is a ruby. But definitely take it somewhere that knows something and don't tell them you found it or they will take advantage of you. Say it's an heirloom and you just want to know what it is.

Thanks Tab, that will help me ID the stone. Never thought white sapphire was a thing.

That's a beautiful gold ring! Good luck on the stone! Wow, what a find!!!

Thanks GS

Great find, whatever it is it's still a nice ring.

Thanks Mitch

Looks like the real McCoy to me!

Thanks detector. It checks out at 10K

That's a very solid looking setting. What is the stone cut? Brilliant cut is generally used for modern round stones. If it isn't a brilliant cut, but an Old Mine cut and other older style cuts are less flashy. Cut may help date the ring to some extent.

Thanks Rock, your the second person I heard discuss a "mine" cut. Ill have to do some research. At the depth I found it, its gotta be around the 1900s.

Looks good from here, and if that's a diamond you might have a real winner! Big congrats!!!

Thanks CD.

Looks like old gold to me congrats!

Thanks Kauf. Last place I had them look it checked out at 10K.

Really nice old looking ring, congrats on the find Tommy. Shame on that guy for lowballing you, even at 10k that ring would be worth alot more. Will be interested to hear the outcome of a fair apprasial. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark, and its what I would expect from coin dealers, These guys are OK, but they have a reputation to keep in smaller city USA. Ive met some shady ones in bigger cities.

Great find! Congrats!

Thank you MP

Update: I took the ring to a different jeweler, and they pegged the gold at 10K. Florida Tabdigger commented on white sapphire, and after digging a bit, I found this site on the internet:

https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/white-sapphires/

Rock Jock stated that I could learn the age by either a mine cut or brilliant cut, so I have some more research to do.

Love this hobby, and thank you to the folks that are members of this site.

You couldn't pay me enough to sell that ring. That baby is old, most likely an old mine cut sapphire set in a claw setting. And that engraving down the sides is just insane. You got yourself an absolutely awesome ring. Huge congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom