Detector recommendation for very specific hunting grounds..

cybertech

Hello.

I'm 48 years old, and the last time I used a metal detector was about 30 years ago. At the time, my "go to" detector was the Fisher 1266X. I was impressed by it's simplicity, excellent depth, and the index finger trigger for all metal and pinpoint mode.

I am currently in the market for an entry level detector to scout very specific grounds. These grounds were used from about 1850 to 1900, but have not been used since. As such, the grounds will have little to no modern trash, and I'm only trying to find coins and rings. I also suspect that some of the targets will be deep due to flooding in the area every few years. I will not be using the detector in areas that contain pull tabs, bottle caps, or any other modern trash. My budget will be the $200 to $300 range, but I will opt for a deeper seeking detector depending on the finds.

Through some research, it seems the Tesoro brand is what I'm after. No display, manual controls, and excellent depth.

Here are my questions that I hope can be answered:

1) The areas to be hunted will be around Northern Montana. For that area will auto ground balancing suffice, or should I get a detector with manual ground balance?

2) My main concern is depth. I will only be discriminating out iron, and digging every other target. What size coil do you recommend?

3) What exactly determines the depth capability of a detector? The coil, the power output of the detector, or both?

4) On the assumption that a metal detector's power output is government regulated, then do the power outputs of detectors vary? If so, why?

Thank you for reading this. I'm looking forward to the replies and to metal detector suggestions for my criteria

Last edited:
The geology and soil conditions in north central and northwestern Montana are pretty complex. Northeastern Montana has some fairly extensive saline and other evaporated surface mineralization, lots of glacial till and badlands. I hunt both areas but not with entry level detectors. So, a good quality used detector with manual ground balance or ground grab might be better than a newer Tesoro under $300 detector. If there aren’t too many recent targets an older Tesoro Vaquero, Whites Mxt or M6, Fisher F75 or T2 with an 11” or bigger coil???? could work. You might can find one used for around $300.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I agree a used detector would be the best option.

I also had my eye on the Vaquero, but in checking out the other detectors you posted, they would suit my needs as well.

I came across the All Sun detectors in my quest, and they look, er, interesting.

I know you say Tesoro, but I think you might be better off with something that has more "big coil" options from 3rd party coil manufacturers.

I think something like an Ace 400 or used AT Pro might be a good option. The AT and Ace series has after market coils available from Detech, MARS, and NEL that go up to as large as 17 inches for a few hundred dollars. Many people like the NEL on the AT series. Watch some videos and make sure you are informed on their tones.

This would let you learn the nuances of the detector while still feeling like you have options to grow and get to deeper coins.

Garret is not MY personal preference for detectors right now, but not because of lack of performance.

D

Theres a T2+ in classifieds here just a little over your budget. Like new detector. And handles Emi well.
Have a look.

I am not connected with seller personally.

My buddy has a pristine 1266 he is selling. It looks brand new too. I have held it and talk about showroom condition. Also has the small coil for it too. PM me if your interested.

Hello.
3) What exactly determines the depth capability of a detector? The coil, the power output of the detector, or both?

4) On the assumption that a metal detector's power output is government regulated, then do the power outputs of detectors vary? If so, why?

To answer #3 above:
Coil size, power output of the transmit electronics, pre-amp gain and audio gain on the receiver side, amount of coil overlap on your sweeps, coil sweep speed that is optimized to the number of filters in your detector (assuming you are not running in All metal non-motion mode). These are but a few items that will determine how deep a coin sized target you will find, but I think these are the most important ones.

To answer #4 above:
Detector's transmit power is not regulated by the government. The output power varies according to the design used. Also, there is the tradeoff of power vs. weight vs. running time. The more power used, the heavier are the batteries needed to have a reasonable running time before the batteries are depleted.

Back
Top Bottom