getting confused

Hi,
Could use more info, like type of detector, what mode you hunt in (All Metal, disc, settings, etc.) and type of ground you're hunting (park, field, forest, etc.).
Typically any strong repeatable tone is a recommended dig, but sometimes things can be ruled out based on variables. For example, I can usually tell if it's an aluminum can based on overall size of the target.

If I get myself into an area, where there aren't a whole lot of signals, I'll pretty much dig every beep, just out of curiousity (desperation). If it's real trash, I'll get real picky, and stick with signals that sound like something good. I'll be digging enough trash anyway. I discriminate iron, it's just too common, not worth a whole lot, and the rusty stuff can still slip through, will be digging some anyway. I'll dig a lot of the jumpy signals, that repeat. Usually junk, but not the usual trash, sometimes interesting, maybe something valuable someday. Most of my strange sounding signals, are keys (house, car, locks...). Mostly hunt curb strips.

If you are asking you have not been digging enough. Been at this about 3 weeks and every day for about a week now..weather is being nice to me but not much longer....

I found a very local park that has never been hunted and is full of trash, iron and clad. I started out discriminating out big and small iron. I would dig every repeatable signal even if the VDI bounced around and I got multi tones.
After a few days I turned off that discrimination and found out that the multi tones I had been digging also contained and iron tone.. I kept digging and can now somewhat tell a coin mixed in with trash, trash or a coin without trash.
You need to pay attention to the sounds, dig, and remember. Do not count on the VID to be correct. lift up the coil over what you think is a good strong signal, does it stay the same or does it null out or change when you swing 3 or 4 inches over it.. coin will stay the same junk can change. Today I dug what I thought was a dime at 4" in wood chips, was can at 14", you never know till you dig.

To save your sanity, disc out iron, foil, and tabs in the beginning. Dig everything that gives a solid repeatable beep from every direction.

Once you get the hang of metal detecting, you can start digging the iffy signals or foil signals.

???

Yeah you didn't mention the MD your using or desired targets or really much of anything? Your probably in a good area for Relics and Coins Both. If this was easy we would all be rich, and have Mansions full of treasure! Lots of practice and getting experience with your MD will get you further than even the best explanations! Make a test plot in your yard and find a clear area in your house, Practice settings and adjustments in the test plot and when you can't get out air test targets inside. Like any tool a MD will work you until you learn to work it... GL & HH.....Pat

if looking for gold you should be digging those signals,if not worried about gold then i would pass them up or have the discriminated out.

Should be digging up item on any strong tone. Like iron foil etc.

As many have said, it just depends on what you are trying to find. Unfortunately a lot of gold rings fall into the foil and pull tab range so if that's your target of choice, you probably should dig em all. I am primarily a coinshooter so I rarely ever dig those targets. I do not discriminate them out, I just use tone and visual ID to weed them out.

all the women get prettier at closing time and digging everything eliminates doubt while both allow you to become adept.I applied the latter later and the previous prior to and yes I am certain that the gals were applying the same technique then so it nullified my method but I neglected to apply any of it until it all sank in just about simultaneously years after the fact-

Back
Top Bottom