Digging tools

sirwalle

Forum Supporter
Which one would you use? i bought them at a garage sale last year and 2 folding knives for $5.00. Name brand no clue pretty scratch up.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 710
The top one has been sharpened a lot and doesn't retain it's original shape. I have a knife from WWII that looks a lot like the bottom one. It looks like you really got a good deal. They appear to be well made. I would use the top one since a narrow blade is easier to turn. A flat blade won't help remove the dirt anyway, it's like trying to eat peas with a knife,

The bottom one Might have some value to it. For that matter, they both might. I've never used a knife for digging, just a garden tool.

The top one has been sharpened a lot and doesn't retain it's original shape. I have a knife from WWII that looks a lot like the bottom one. It looks like you really got a good deal. They appear to be well made. I would use the top one since a narrow blade is easier to turn. A flat blade won't help remove the dirt anyway, it's like trying to eat peas with a knife,

What else would you use for peas??

Bill

I would sharpen them both up and use them as knives , then spend $10 on one of these as the best ten dollar purchase I ever made . :lol:

Attachments

• sawtoothpro1.jpg
    sawtoothpro1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 561
Without regard to any possible greater value of the knives or their dirt scooping abilities, I'd use the bottom one. First, it has a larger guard that could save you a nasty cut if you slip while pushing down. And second, the rounded pommel would be more comfortable to push on.

Kbar ?

Hey buddy, is that a Kbar knife you got there, the bottom one. It could be worth a buck or two

You should also consider your local laws. In different states, a knife over a certain length, carried or accessible in a car is considered illegal. Also, I have seen a lot of coin hunters using double edge knives, like old bayonets. In Texas a knife with an edge on both sides of the blade is considered a dagger and illegal to carry on your person or in your vehicle. Just some things to think about before selecting a tool.

I was only kidding about the digging part. Just one of many knives I have.
Check this one I got somewhere. The handle looks like bone.
But the rest? I think someone did this in shop class. But it was so cool to not buy.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 401
I agree, the best ones are the ones you find a garage sales and flea markets. But you have no idea of the people that get into trouble with their choice of digging tools, as far as the law is concerned. Then they spend what 3 detectors cost to hire a lawyer and go through the misery of the legal system. Remember the blindfold over the face of Liberty. No exceptions. But our nation was founded on those principles. Good knife collecting.

Last edited:
The bottom pictured knife (Picture with the 2 knifes) looks identical to a knife that came in a "Camping kit" I got as a kid from my dad either as B-day or Xmass present. The kit had a small canvass back pack, canteen, web belt and a bowie knife that, as I mentioned above looks identical to the lower one pictured. I still have the knife and canteen. (40+ yrs now)

Back
Top Bottom