Sensitivity Question?

critik

Ok so I have been digging at a 1800's house and I am amazed that i have not found a single coin... My sensitivity is usually set slightly under max and well I am curious if that means it will not pick up shallow items?

I am using a BH commando I use it on Disc and set the disc to 50%. The Disc setting is a iron and steel rejection But somehow I still pick up huge thick pieces of steel So I do not think it works completely..

Ok so I have been digging at a 1800's house and I am amazed that i have not found a single coin... My sensitivity is usually set slightly under max and well I am curious if that means it will not pick up shallow items?

I am using a BH commando I use it on Disc and set the disc to 50%. The Disc setting is a iron and steel rejection But somehow I still pick up huge thick pieces of steel So I do not think it works completely..

Not familiar with your detector, but I doubt it. Are you getting overload tones?

Upping sensitivity may( and I stress may) occasionally produce an overload tone but I would think your coil would almost have to be touching it.

People didn't carry cash around the yard unless they had company or were on their way to the mailbox to town/store.

Don't give up, maybe hit a local park full of various targets to help learn your machine better.

GL HH

I had an experience early on with detecting that might relate. I'd thought tweaking the machine to run hot was the desired method, and it likely is to a point. Well I was finding things but it was hit and miss IMO.

One of my coils got weak and would overload easiy locally so I sidelined it until one day when I went to my closest old, and hard hunted park and used it. I ran it on sens 4 on a scale of 1-15 and as God is my witness, I dug a silver quarter and nickel at only 3 inches very first dig! Finished the day with a few clad finds, nothing great. Went back to the same park but different spot to start and AGAIN dug a 4" silver on the first dig. I don't run near as hot as I started out doing.

I think it's possibe to blair out too much power in sensitivity and miss the most common depth finds in yards, 1-6 inches.

Why not do a hunt with sens at mid range and see. You gotta clear out the shallow stuff anyway.

Bury a couple coins, silver and clad, and try it. Better to know than to be constantly questioning yourself. "Test Garden"!
There may simply be no coins in there. Possibly someone was in there before you. As was said, people generally didn't carry coins around like we do today. Coinage was far more precious. It's one thing I have to constantly remind myself of. Particularly on old farms.

Thanks for the great answers guys I will try running the sensitivity Lower so I can clear out the shallow stuff. Also The disc mode is a automatic iron and Steel Rejection But I notice it still picks up huge pieces of Iron And steel but not nails which helps I guess.. I realized I been running the Disc Knob way to high to the point where I could not even pick up certain coins But I found the sweet spot So I am going to test it out today.

I will let you all Know how it goes HH!

-Darrin

Back
Top Bottom