How was everyones summer?

Z, are you holding back,,,,,:lol: We had red tide where I am for 7 weeks,,,Got real bad around July 10th,,,,lasted until about 3 weeks ago,,,got pretty horrible with the smell of rotting fish, red tide, and nasty rusty colored water,,,,the summer started great for me,,,was averaging a gold every two to three hunts before the red tide kicked in,,,,THEN,,,,our summer sand moved in,,,finally got a few cuts and some people in the water for fresh drops,,,I have had more gold to other metal finds this year than any I can remember,,,,last year I had 13 rings without a gold,,,,I have gotten 14 pieces of gold and 1 Plat this year and I don't hunt as much as I used to,,,I have also found more gold that wasn't a ring this year than any year I can remember,,,when I get time, I will post a picture of my finds,,,,GL HH

All is good here considering, Got one hunt in for May.. Nada .. but it sure felt good to get wet again!..., June I got a few hunts in.. not much to show but I did come across a spot of interest, found some Silver.... Started watching it and the streak started. July 3rd to Sept 4th got 13 straight hunts with gold, and most are class rings. Very Blessed I can hit it once a week, and walk out with some yellow.. Which has made all things easier to deal with, almost like a Fix? All found with the Excalibur except one, the Excalibur gets the job done for my hunt time is limited to 3 to 4 hours.

My new Flag, for those that ask about the 1950's to 1936 Class rings.

Joe, How in the heck do you have that many Class Ring in that pile??:?:,,,nice looking batch of yellow

Thank you! Love my old class rings..

Joe, How in the heck do you have that many Class Ring in that pile??:?:,,,nice looking batch of yellow

Back in the day several of the beaches here had different attractions like...carnival rides, dance halls, band stands, picnic grounds, and concerts which drew the younger crowds. Many spots, what I "find" is based on, age group, ethnic, wealth, religion back grounds.

Sad is.. this location is now officially sanded in.

Attachments

• cvg.jpg
    cvg.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 375
Last year I started building a cedar strip canoe so this year I have been spending a lot of time trying to finish it. The few times I went detecting earlier this year I got skunked so started detecting less and working on the canoe more. Thanks to FMDF member, Surlysandcrab, who kept encouraging to keep working on the project so now I am almost done:
picture.php

Now that the canoe is nearly done I plan on getting out detecting a little more - just in time for the fall and winter tides.

Amazing job George... my dad made a canoe when he was younger... didn't look at good as yours though.. btw sandcrab is not surly anymore :lol:

the year has mostly been "is what it is"... lots of losses on friends and family, surgeries looming on wife, some medical on both, limited hunting. Like Maxxkatt said Georgia weather been rough this year. Midstate where i live has been hot...

but a few lunch hunts yielded 2 wedding bands, gold pendant, small silver bracelet, few earrings etc,, couple silver coins, couple tokens, foreign coins to US, odd stuff... some clads.

still we hunt. still vertical, cant really complain. need a local hunt partner. lost my great one year ago.. not the same..

Seems we've all been dealing with life and death as it comes along as best we can.
Glad to see everyone chiming in here, nice to touch base and see who is still around!
Gold digger2, not holding back, nothing worth posting has hit my scoop in quite awhile...
Compass, NICE boat man, wow!
Dixidigger57, I totally understand, I lost my best friend in december...

14 silver rings... 21 misc silver...mostly hoop earrings.....1 gold ring....165.00 in clad so far. I stopped going 4 times a week just before the red tide hit....turned out I needed sleep....and I have to go on 4 hours sleep if I'm going to hunt 3 hours in the mornings and still go to work for the rest of the day. Finally started getting in the water...but my wading boots kept rubbing my calf into a cut...so had to heal between water hunts.....anyways....starting to get cranked up again ....red tide is done....and this newest cut on my leg from the weed eater is just about healed...so.....sky's still the limit. Gotta find more gold !! My treasure trove is way to skimpy....Still loving the beach ! In non metal detecting news....I'm enjoying recording some original music with a new friend with a kick butt studio. My wife still loves me. My kid is still gainfully-ish employed....the dogs are healthy, happy and still getting on my nerves...so far everyone in the immediate family has survived the covid. So....life is going fine.

Amazing job George... my dad made a canoe when he was younger... didn't look at good as yours though.. btw sandcrab is not surly anymore :lol:
Thanks Craig and Z! These days there are a lot more resources available to help novice builders than our parents had. My dad built a boat when he was younger too. He probably just had a library book or magazine to go by. :yes:

after no gold for what seemed like forever I went on a 6 gold streak in July, then unexplainably went down to only 1 in August and so far zip this month. So much sand and it seems far less people are wearing gold at the beach. It does get frustrating but as one wise pirate once said here on the forum-you can't find any gold sitting on your couch,-get out there!! Good luck to all and above all stay safe

Winter through May were decent months for gold and then the socal beaches piled up with sand. It's like everything dried up, little finds in the wet and the dry nothing to show.

Well so it goes, sometimes boom and sometimes bust

I like watching the gig master, man has he had a killer year.

Last year I started building a cedar strip canoe so this year I have been spending a lot of time trying to finish it. The few times I went detecting earlier this year I got skunked so started detecting less and working on the canoe more. Thanks to FMDF member, Surlysandcrab, who kept encouraging to keep working on the project so now I am almost done:
picture.php

Now that the canoe is nearly done I plan on getting out detecting a little more - just in time for the fall and winter tides.

that is a beautiful boat !

Back in the day several of the beaches here had different attractions like...carnival rides, dance halls, band stands, picnic grounds, and concerts which drew the younger crowds. Many spots, what I "find" is based on, age group, ethnic, wealth, religion back grounds.

Sad is.. this location is now officially sanded in.

You know Joe, you find all the owners families of those class rings you are draining the well,,,,,,:laughing:man, I would love to hunt some of your spots,,,goes to show, know you area and do the research,,,We have a spot like that but they piled so much sand on top of it I will be dead before it produces again unless we get a major hurricane,,,,gl hh

All is good here considering, Got one hunt in for May.. Nada .. but it sure felt good to get wet again!..., June I got a few hunts in.. not much to show but I did come across a spot of interest, found some Silver.... Started watching it and the streak started. July 3rd to Sept 4th got 13 straight hunts with gold, and most are class rings. Very Blessed I can hit it once a week, and walk out with some yellow.. Which has made all things easier to deal with, almost like a Fix? All found with the Excalibur except one, the Excalibur gets the job done for my hunt time is limited to 3 to 4 hours.

Absolutely incredible OBN! Well done. But you got over a 100 silver too...I would love see all those in a nice sorted pile :)

My summer has been bleak to say the least and I have been going out as much as possible. Our spots just havent been opening up this year....yet!

You know Joe, you find all the owners families of those class rings you are draining the well,,,,,,:laughing:man, I would love to hunt some of your spots,,,goes to show, know you area and do the research,,,We have a spot like that but they piled so much sand on top of it I will be dead before it produces again unless we get a major hurricane,,,,gl hh

Thanks GD! Yea, I catch a lot of flak over those class rings. Which are the meat and potatoes.... All are dated from 1950's down, one reason I don't even go looking. (Correction..there is one 1962 in the bunch)

The good for me here is most of these spots are tough to get to unless you have a boat or permission to cross some ones property which is what I have been doing for over a year now due to my limited hunting time. Someday I hope to get the boat back in the water.

Sanded in and replenishment is frustrating, I know replenishment killed the great hunting in OC MD. Those guys are lucky to find 5 gold a year now, and they hunt several times a week.
Hoping you get some good sand movement this winter!

Absolutely incredible OBN! Well done. But you got over a 100 silver too...I would love see all those in a nice sorted pile :)

My summer has been bleak to say the least and I have been going out as much as possible. Our spots just havent been opening up this year....yet!

Thanks SS, Here is the silver pile, some fairly bad but it will get melted next year. I think my last batch was two years worth and I got almost 1600.oo. here is 130 left and the 15 I got Monday, with a gold band, silver still needs cleaned.
SS stay on those spots, something has to give.:pirates:

Attachments

• 20210916_001820.jpg
    20210916_001820.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 215
Summer was ok but I don’t get out between May thru Sept because of the heat. Older I get, the less I can tolerate anything more than the mid-70’s. Cant wait for October and November! Nice piles everyone.

I had a decent summer on land, my beach hunts didnt produce much at all (seems to be the norm for me :laughing:) but I only hunted the ocean maybe 3 times this year. I did find this beauty on land this year though: 20210714_135810.jpg
Hoping this winter will be eventful in terms of beach hunting. I cant seem to get off the ice though :laughing:
20201221_070215~3.jpg
Good luck out there everyone!

That's a really nice looking heart pendant, not too shabby on the rest..lol

I've not been out in forever...spring. Went through an upper back issue that has finally calmed down, i now know how to prevent it. Now I'm dealing with a knee problem. It seems as though for every step forward I'm "pushed" back 3. VERY frustrating as I'm not ready to give up on this hobby yet.............

Back
Top Bottom