Scoop finished

hoser

Forum Supporter
Well, the scoop project is now closed. I finished it up yesterday. I would have been happier if we would have had a tig welder, but it still turned out ok. Maybe a little heavy, but it should hold up pretty good to some abuse. Everything except the grip is stainless. Now all I have to do is get it wet, and see if it will produce some good finds in it. :lol:

Last edited:
This is a close up of just the scoop section. Its just under an eight of an inch thick. This stuff is really tough to machine. OD of the basket is 5" X 10" long. Handle length 48"

Last edited:
wow, that looks nice...

I'm going to have to look into making myself something like that

Nice craftsmanship! Any idea of the weight yet? It looks heavy. What size are those holes?

Thanks for the kind words. I have a blast making this kind of stuff. No Rudy, I'm not making them to sell. I use scrap material that comes along from time to time.
Rob, I used 308-16 3/32" stainless rod. had to run it kinda cool as to not blow a hole in the thin metal. ;)

Bill

Question... Are there holes in the back plate? If not you need them or you will have a heck of a time shaking out the thick mud and dense sand.

I think the scoop looks great and don't take anything I say bad... Next time I would add re-enforcing straps where the handle is welded to the bucket because when you start prying thats the area that usually starts to crack first.

I think you're in the wrong business... After seeing your scoop and your tumbler you could be making a mint :)

Here is my sifter, I only use it when hunting mud, clay beaches

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Cfmct/P1010479.jpg

Thanks Craig. Yup, got a few holes in the back. I'll definately keep an eye out for cracks after the first hunt. The sand is pretty easy to dig in, so maybe I'll be spared the extra work.

Nice work hoser - I can always appreciate the work of a fellow improvisor and craftsman.
Looks like its dual use too ,as you can always knock someone out half dead with it, should the need ever arise.

Jason said:
What is that tester in the sifter?

Well, Jason with the amount of rings I find with stones in them I wanted a diamond tester... It tests for diamonds and most precious and semi-precious stones.

Bill, I try to stay away from hunting in the sand lol... I am always searching for rocky area's and my favorite is gravel and shells for its here that I have found the majority of my jewelry finds.. I'm talking in the water.. in the sand you have to dig and dig and dig where as in the rocks or gravel finds are usually 1 or 2 scoops easy digging :) Bill if you're digging in sand you should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom