Nokta Anfibio at the TVMDA 1st Open Treasure Hunt

Sven

Elite Member
On Saturday Sept 28th, 2018 TVMDA (Thames Valley Metal Detectors Assoc.) had their first annual open seeded beach hunt. At Port Stanley, Ontario Canada, right on the beach. It went so well another one will be planned for 2019 to be even a larger event. This years event was to get the clubs feet wet to prepare for an anticipated larger event for next year.

The club had a great turnout, about 55 contestants turned out. With a couple YouTube celebrities showing up, Red Beard and Liz Cabralie. Members from other Ontario clubs, came out to have some fun. Overall, a very friendly hunt, lots of fun, conversation, first ever hunt for many. Everyone enjoyed themselves, even the very young treasure hunters.

What was buried? For this years event, the finds would be a mixed theme of items. Foreign coins, silver coins and clad Canadian coins, rings and things, prize tokens, old keys and locks, large lucky horse shoe, some pull tabs, relics...............

For the lucky who found prize tokens, there was a whole table or two of prizes from coins to metal detectors much donated by several manufacturers and supporting dealers of metal detectors.

Here's my story of the day, got there bright and early, actually first one there. I was on the hunt committee. It was cold and extremely windy. The sun had not yet made its appearance. The beach was taken over by what looked like two million seagulls, a hat was needed if venturing out there. Turkey Buzzards were perched on the life guard tower. A number of crows trying to fit in were carrying on with their cawing. The sun eventually made its way up over the horizon. Finally it started to warm up some.

For the first hunt, grabbed a metal detector with a smaller coil, figured would be the best option to swing fast with and pinpoint with extreme accuracy. Oh, that was a bad idea, never realized this detector would not be a good detector to use around other detectors. Big let down, it was being zapped by every detector I came within 5 feet of. It works so well when I go out detecting, would never have thought this would have happened. I found two coins the entire first hunt. Afterwards, it went back into the car's trunk.

For the remaining hunts, there was only one other detector in my cars trunk, hesitant to use it, it had a large coil. Larger than the 7" coils I like using. Top it off it was a DD coil.
So I pulled out the Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi with the new 9x11” search coil. Then took a spot on the perimeter of the hunt field. Turned it on, and noticed how quiet it was, no interference from others around me using 14khz. When the hunt started, did get a few minor blips from others. To play it safe I bumped the frequency to 20khz. Thru out the entire hunt, 98% interference free. And that was with the larger coil. I was surprised how well the large coil worked, pinpointing and scooping up a target was so easy. Much better experience than I expected. The best of all, I was finding stuff, with ease, right behind others whose detectors failed to report them. Now I was having some fun. Hunted in Gen (all metal) mode with factory default settings as from my experiments the black sand mixed in with the beach sand, skews target ID numbers and hampers disc modes in most detectors. Proved to be a good choice. The Anfibio had no problems finding any of the foreign coins made up of many different compositions. Attribute that to the fact the detectors software programing was programmed using over 30 countries coins. The Anfibio being heavier than the Multi-Kruzer, found it to be balanced just about perfect which made it very easy to swing fast or slow in a competition like hunt without any wrist or elbow fatique.

After the last hunt, everyone got together to cash in any prize tokens found and for the raffle draws……………..For those that were now hungry, Mackies beach restaurant was only a few steps away, others went back to hunting for targets not found on the hunt field. Others went hunting over the rest of the beach. A good time for everyone.

Attachments

• 1hunt.jpg
    1hunt.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 143
  • 2hunt.jpg
    2hunt.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 3hunt.jpg
    3hunt.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 4hunt.jpg
    4hunt.jpg