MA Colonial Copper

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
Dug a bucket list coin last night.

A Massachusetts colonial copper got under the coil.

Looks like these were minted from 1787 to 1788.

The copper had company too. A 1914 Memorial cent was also in the hole.

I still need a Fugio Cent, Nova Constellatio,....... :lol:

Thanks for looking! :yes:

Attachments

• MA Copper GOOD 1 sized.jpg
    MA Copper GOOD 1 sized.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 390
  • MA Copper Good 2 sized.jpg
    MA Copper Good 2 sized.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 382
DD, that's a beautiful MA copper; congratulations! I was fortunate to find one earlier this year, although not in the same condition as your coin.

HH,

Mike

Colonial coppers ? Lies ! Lies ! East coast lies ! Aaaagghhhh :sissyfight: (sick sick sick)

Really nice find Dave! Everyone seems to be finding them, I still have not had the pleasure. My buddy Danny has found 3 large ones and 2 half cent sized ones. Yours looks great :thumbsup: I didnt know they made memorial cents in 1914? Lol congrats!

Really nice find Dave! Everyone seems to be finding them, I still have not had the pleasure. My buddy Danny has found 3 large ones and 2 half cent sized ones. Yours looks great :thumbsup: I didnt know they made memorial cents in 1914? Lol congrats!

The cents seem to be much more common than the halfs, either that or some of the pictures don't have anything for scale and the "half cent" is worn off like usual. Either way finding a couple of each is super lucky, would love to find a half now than I have a cent

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

The cents seem to be much more common than the halfs, either that or some of the pictures don't have anything for scale and the "half cent" is worn off like usual. Either way finding a couple of each is super lucky, would love to find a half now than I have a cent

I was surprised to find out that these coins measure the same size. The only difference between values seem to be indicated on the eagle's shield. This is silly!

Attachments

• MA Cent.JPG
    MA Cent.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 266
  • MA 1-2 Cent.JPG
    MA 1-2 Cent.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 253
Very nice find! Jlemay3 just posted one he found the other day as well. That's crazy that you guys found the same type of coin just days apart! Congrats!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=265851&highlight=Massachusetts

Crazy ? No. Coincidence ? No. The reason that the same type coin was "found" just "days apart", is that you east coast guys just mail the same coins back and forth to each other. Then you cleverly stage it as show & tell found stories. If you look close at each post, you'll notice it's the exact same coin !

Hence, it's no wonder that the posts came just days apart. Isn't the postal service wonderful ?? :sissyfight:

Crazy ? No. Coincidence ? No. The reason that the same type coin was "found" just "days apart", is that you east coast guys just mail the same coins back and forth to each other. Then you cleverly stage it as show & tell found stories. If you look close at each post, you'll notice it's the exact same coin !

Hence, it's no wonder that the posts came just days apart. Isn't the postal service wonderful ?? :sissyfight:

I need to start giving my address out!:lol:

Crazy ? No. Coincidence ? No. The reason that the same type coin was "found" just "days apart", is that you east coast guys just mail the same coins back and forth to each other...........:sissyfight:

Tom, you're a real trip.

If you ever get out the coast on the right, we'll have to set up a hunt for you. ;)

What we can be envious of :

We can't find any Civil War relics unless we go to an antique store.

We rarely ever see gold coins like the frequency out west.

....We rarely ever see gold coins like the frequency out west.

Yes, that is our one consolation. There are many more gold coins found out west, verses back east. I know many hunters over here that have several each. Just between my hunt partner & I, within the last couple of years, have bagged 4 between us. Two of which were "less than 100 known" mintage .

The other consolation is that most of our early silver tends to be S mints. Versus back east, where early silver tends to be primarily P mint (less numismatically valuable mintage amounts). Since the migration was primarily east-to-west in those years.

Back
Top Bottom