found some Montana saloon/bar tokens today!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
The last couple of trips out detecting have been lacking results in the shiny department, just one merc and a silver war nickel. Tons of wheaties though, so my ratio must be about 20 wheaties per silver right now!

Just today I did get the ok to detect a property dating to 1896, nice large lawn areas and plenty of opportunities to swing the AT Pro! The owners did say that a couple of guys had really detected it hard some years back. Well... I like that and look forward to a challenge to see what they might have missed. After a couple of hours of hunting, I did not find a single OLD coin, did get some clad dimes, a clad quarter, and some copper memorials that were pretty deep. Also found were some cool relics... a pair of old lamp finials, harmonica reed, belt buckle, a few cool buttons, and these very neat RAVALLI HOTEL BAR / HAMILTON, MONT // GOOD FOR 12 1/2 C in TRADE. I did notice that there are two different sized fonts on the lettering.

I think the previous detectorists missed these because they didn't ring up cleanly like a pure copper penny, clad or silver coin. Based on the age of the home and the clean ground for detecting, I did chase any decent but slightly questionable signal, and found these! Shown below is an old photo postcard of the Hotel Ravalli (it is long gone, destroyed by fire) and the three tokens. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• ravalli.jpg
    ravalli.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 359
  • hotel.jpg
    hotel.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 303
Those are pretty cool trade tokens. Thanks for sharing. The only tokens I've found have been the Chuck e Cheese type. Clearly stamped "no cash value"!!

Happy to share those! And yep, just finished the Ravalli County Fair here in Hamilton, I wasn't the first one to detect after the Carnies left, but I did score a fair amount of those NO CASH VALUE amusement tokens along with some surface clad!

Yes I bet you are right, most of my tokens ring up differently than a coin. Most are bouncy signals or low 70s signals I dig when there is nothing else to dig. Then boom - out pops a token!!

Those tokens are cool, can’t go wrong with an old token. I especially like when they are cut out like that.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Glad you guys like the tokens! They are a treat to find.

And yep, spenglure, on my at pro they usually ring up in the low to mid 70's and sometimes sound like a decayed zincoln! But, if the target is not a surface /shallow find, I definitely dig those signals as many times they are something good!

Nice group of tokens you have there! I especially like the type that are punched out like yours.

Thank you!

I did go recheck the property tonite, I must say that whoever checked the yard prior to me did a pretty thorough job. I did find a 1919 Wheatie and a 1940-D Wheatie, both were about 8" deep in fairly dry soil, about as deep as my AT Pro will get them in dry soil. Also found an old rifle cartridge, ornate drawer pull hardware item, and some odd items including the ringer off an old oak wall phone or alarm, and some sort of brass oarlock thingy. Oh well, it was a beautiful evening here and I am always happy to detect!

Back
Top Bottom