My First Old Coin!!

Call Me V

Yesterday my friend, Mark, and I went to a small town park we thought would be old to do a long hunt. We actually got to hunt for about four hours. The tally for me came to five quarters, three dimes, six nickels, and twenty five pennies. All are new(er) and clad. I also picked up a piece of costume jewelry bling, and about fifty seven thousand pull-tabs.

But the best find I thought was a wheat penny. I was excited until I got home and cleaned it up. I was super excited to find a 1901 Indian head penny!

Mark and I got tons of clad, but until that penny nothing old. We figured they'd probably put new sod in at one point or another.

I consider it a successful hunt! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1083a.JPG
    IMG_1083a.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 365
Congrats, V! I can't wait to find an Indian Head. Great recovery! :woot:

Sounds like an excellent hunt! You’re definitely doing something right if you’re pulling a nearly 120 year old coin out of a park! Keep in mind, that park has surely been hunted more than once in the past by other detectorists, so you’ve found an Indian that others missed - that’s a trophy to be proud of!

Anyway, great looking coin with nice detail! Indian heads were a cool design - to me, it just screams out that it’s from a completely different era. Congrats, and hopefully it’s the first of many!

Sounds like an excellent hunt! You’re definitely doing something right if you’re pulling a nearly 120 year old coin out of a park! Keep in mind, that park has surely been hunted more than once in the past by other detectorists, so you’ve found an Indian that others missed - that’s a trophy to be proud of!

Anyway, great looking coin with nice detail! Indian heads were a cool design - to me, it just screams out that it’s from a completely different era. Congrats, and hopefully it’s the first of many!

My friend said that the park had probably been hunted many times before. We were surprised at how many coins we pulled out of the ground (although they were all new). So we figured it hadn't been hunted in a long time. But yes, all the old stuff, except for my Indian head penny, seems to have been pulled from the ground already.

Sweet, nothing like finding a coin that's over 100 years old. They're pretty hard to come by these days.

Outstanding find!

Am still waiting to find my first 100 yo coin. Seeing your post gives me hope!

Congrats on your first injun, still remember the thrill I got on my first many years ago.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

My friend said that the park had probably been hunted many times before. We were surprised at how many coins we pulled out of the ground (although they were all new). So we figured it hadn't been hunted in a long time. But yes, all the old stuff, except for my Indian head penny, seems to have been pulled from the ground already.

There's an old saying that a site is never truly hunted out. It's pretty true. If that's an old park, and you found an old coin, among many other targets, it is very likely that there are more old coins still there. Fifty seven thousand-ish pulltabs is a good start. :laughing: Every so often, a pulltab signal turns out to be a ring, or something else good. Don't give up on that park.

Congrats. I found my first IHP this year too. Clean it with water then put it in electrolysis if you want a really good clean coin.

Congrats on your first IHP! I am into the mid 1800's on a couple of coins, but still have not found a Indian yet. That was a goal for this year too. Maybe I will get one before to long.

Yesterday my friend, Mark, and I went to a small town park we thought would be old to do a long hunt. We actually got to hunt for about four hours. The tally for me came to five quarters, three dimes, six nickels, and twenty five pennies. All are new(er) and clad. I also picked up a piece of costume jewelry bling, and about fifty seven thousand pull-tabs.

But the best find I thought was a wheat penny. I was excited until I got home and cleaned it up. I was super excited to find a 1901 Indian head penny!

Mark and I got tons of clad, but until that penny nothing old. We figured they'd probably put new sod in at one point or another.

I consider it a successful hunt! :D

Congrats on the Injun!:yes: Just getting out to hunt is a success in itself.:grin:

Back
Top Bottom