Picked up Ravin R20 sniper crossbow

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Boy oh boy!!!!
This baby shoots like a dream.
Deer should be on guard this fall.
Feels like cheating at how easy it is to shoot longer distances.

A real smoker firing somewhere around 434-440 fps with 400 grains for complete bolt setup.
I haven't chronied.

Although the farthest I have shot thus far is 60 yards.
This crossbow just may be able to do grapefruits at 100 yards.
Super happy so far with what I have witnessed.

I'd love to see some pictures. Does a crossbow shoot regular sized arrows or smaller ones?

"A real smoker firing somewhere around 434-440 fps with 400 grains for complete bolt setup.
I haven't chronied"

Would you be able to translate this paragraph for an interested, but ignorant guy like me? I figured fps is feet per second, but the rest has me stumped.

I'd love to see some pictures. Does a crossbow shoot regular sized arrows or smaller ones?

"A real smoker firing somewhere around 434-440 fps with 400 grains for complete bolt setup.
I haven't chronied"

Would you be able to translate this paragraph for an interested, but ignorant guy like me? I figured fps is feet per second, but the rest has me stumped.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow if I don't forget.
https://ravincrossbows.com/product/r20-sniper-package/

The bolts are beefier than a regular compound bow and are 20" long.
All the r20 models folks have chronographed shoot faster than spec listed by manufacturer per chronograph readings.
Rated at 430 feet per second.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtPJXSoIdPg

Have saw one chronied at 440 fps.

Most crossbows shoot between 300-400 fps. With more shooting below 375 fps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDT-1gIOsQE

Congrats.. I couldn't afford the 2k$.. but would be fun the shoot. With my neck injury and surgery I never even cocked my Barrett last year. haven't been able to turkey hunt this year either..
nice bow...

Looks like a nice xbow. Main safety thing of a xbow is keep the string at the right brace height. As the string stretches it changes. Look up the proper BH for your xbow.. Keep that adjusted and you'll have no problem.

Looks like a nice xbow. Main safety thing of a xbow is keep the string at the right brace height. As the string stretches it changes. Look up the proper BH for your xbow.. Keep that adjusted and you'll have no problem.

No brace height on this particular bow. Strings when put on, no twist needed.
They are real short.

Most of the string is covered in serving except for 2 small sections.

I plan to get the special press needed to press for string and cable changes.
Already have a ravin r9 model to go with this new rig.
They are very similar looking.

Amazing looking bow, a bit spendy but most top of the market things are now a days. Whats the legality of hunting with one, i imagine it varies state to state?

Amazing looking bow, a bit spendy but most top of the market things are now a days. Whats the legality of hunting with one, i imagine it varies state to state?

In Tn, you can use for big game and varmits.
Many states have legalized for deer it seems in last decade or so.

I haven't chronied"

Stiffwrists, you likely have looked all this up by now, but anyway a complete bolt (crossbow arrow) setup would be the shaft, the point, the fletches, and the nock (I assume bolts have nocks?). In Tnsharpshooter's setup all that weighs 400 grains = 25.9 grams = 0.91 ounce. Cronied is having fired it through a chronograph to test the bolt's velocity.

Funny, I was shopping crossbows just today on the webs.
Nothing like that sweet thang you own though, Tnsharpshooter! WTG! :dingding:

Stiffwrists, you likely have looked all this up by now, but anyway a complete bolt (crossbow arrow) setup would be the shaft, the point, the fletches, and the nock (I assume bolts have nocks?). In Tnsharpshooter's setup all that weighs 400 grains = 25.9 grams = 0.91 ounce. Cronied is having fired it through a chronograph to test the bolt's velocity.

Funny, I was shopping crossbows just today on the webs.
Nothing like that sweet thang you own though, Tnsharpshooter! WTG! :dingding:

Thanks.
There are other worthy crossbows out there. Cheaper than mine, still very good.
Mission probably best bang for buck.
Excalibur likely the most dependable shot for shot.
I have an Excalibur micro 335.
Nice little bow.

I work in a small town sportshop, most of our sales come from bows and guns. I work as a gun salesman, but know enough about bows to do almost everything except the tuning. I often fill in in archery and set up brand new crossbows. I assemble the brands that come un-assembled and sight them all in. The ravin has the best trigger of any Xbow available. It is ridiculously fast and accurate. It is able to maintain accuracy well beyond most modern crossbows partially because the arrow isn't being influenced by the rail as it is leaving the bow. It is more similar to a vertical bow in that it is only touching the rest and the string. Most Xbows are using half moon knocks or flat nocks instead of clipping onto the string. This can lead to inconsistencies from shot to shot that the ravin is not subject to. My only complaints about the ravin are price and noise. They are loud like most crossbows. Hopefully the Xbow technology advances to the point that they can be fast AND quiet.

I have always been an Excalibur guy and have multiple. I was drawn to them for their simplicity in operation and ease of service. Since the r20 came out I’m very impressed with how fast it is and how far people are shooting it accurately. I’m going to wait a little bit and hope they come down in price. They are impressive to say the least. Hope to see some deer pictures this fall.

I have always been an Excalibur guy and have multiple. I was drawn to them for their simplicity in operation and ease of service. Since the r20 came out I’m very impressed with how fast it is and how far people are shooting it accurately. I’m going to wait a little bit and hope they come down in price. They are impressive to say the least. Hope to see some deer pictures this fall.

Me too. As far as deer pics. Lol
One never knows.
Don't count your deer until their down I guess.

The thing with the Ravins.
Seems they have less cabling/string (distance wise) yet more powerful.
So efficiency is good from an engineering standpoint.
What I don't understand is why this wasn't discovered earlier (helicoil design use age).

And notice how quick Tenpoint produced a narrow bow (similar to Ravin).
They likely took a monster hit last year with sales.
Ravin crushed all the major (hunting ) crossbow manufacturers with their sales.

Will take some genius to match the speed /power of helicoil tech without infringing on Ravins tech.

The limbs on ravin when cocked don't move much. Seems most of the power is made by the cables/strings/helicoil.

Would be interesting to see exactly the speed gain attained by not using a rail for bolt to ride in.
I also have trouble understanding how the spine deflection with the track used on crossbows interact when the bow is fired. I guess the question is does the crossbow bolt try to ride out of rail partially when the bolt is bending when fired?

To hang a grapefruit up at 50 yards and hit with this r20 seems is not hard to do.
Don't think one has to be a great shot(sharpshooter) lol to do.
Crazy sounding maybe, but the truth.

Me too. As far as deer pics. Lol
One never knows.
Don't count your deer until their down I guess.

The thing with the Ravins.
Seems they have less cabling/string (distance wise) yet more powerful.
So efficiency is good from an engineering standpoint.
What I don't understand is why this wasn't discovered earlier (helicoil design use age).

And notice how quick Tenpoint produced a narrow bow (similar to Ravin).
They likely took a monster hit last year with sales.
Ravin crushed all the major (hunting ) crossbow manufacturers with their sales.

Will take some genius to match the speed /power of helicoil tech without infringing on Ravins tech.

The limbs on ravin when cocked don't move much. Seems most of the power is made by the cables/strings/helicoil.

Would be interesting to see exactly the speed gain attained by not using a rail for bolt to ride in.
I also have trouble understanding how the spine deflection with the track used on crossbows interact when the bow is fired. I guess the question is does the crossbow bolt try to ride out of rail partially when the bolt is bending when fired?

To hang a grapefruit up at 50 yards and hit with this r20 seems is not hard to do.
Don't think one has to be a great shot(sharpshooter) lol to do.
Crazy sounding maybe, but the truth.
I don’t think rail friction plays much of a role in bolt speed. The amoumt of mass force being applied to the knock is proportionally extreme compared to the small amount of friction along the linear travel of the bolt/string.

Back
Top Bottom