Another "I HATE THE USPS" Thread

achaios

Forum Supporter
I ordered 1 lb. of stone meteorites from The Meteorite Men. They shipped in Priority 2-Day, and gave me a tracking number. The tracking system says that it left the Tucson facility on 12/12, with a delivery date of 12/15. There have been no updates since then, and no package to me, so the USPS may have returned them to the asteroid belt for all I know.

Everyone goofs up from time to time, but it has been the USPS which goofs up the most on packages to me, and cares the least. Their tracking system is guesswork at best. They may or may not have the ability to track, depending on where it goes. My local PO and the sorting center they receive from are OK at scanning packages, so I'm pretty sure they haven't seen it yet.

Am I overreacting to a package that is 2 days late? Maybe, but the USPS seems to have the attitude that I should consider myself lucky if I get the package at all. *IF* it arrives, they really should have to refund the difference between priority and parcel-post, since "Priority" is to the USPS as "Freedom" is to Kim Jong Un.

Besides, they have a prior history with me of lousing up. They tried to deliver the 17th century silver coins I got from Andrey to the wrong address (and possibly, the wrong zip code). They bent a book I won on eBay in 3 by slamming a loading gate on it. They took over a month to deliver a coin, which didn't arrive until the start of an insurance claim (they like to give their internal thieves a 30-day head start), and when I got it, it was postmarked the day it was shipped, so they just lost it. They shattered a mug I sent to my father.

On any item that I really want, or cost serious money, I usually prefer to go with UPS. Your mileage may vary, but UPS has always done well for me.

Just venting,

-- Tom

Could your package been on that UPS truck that crashed that has been all over the news the past week?

You never know? One of my packages late last year was one that got shipped even further than where I live. Then it sat for a week before it moved again. Around Christmas they sort of quit caring when you get your stuff. They already got paid:shock:

For what its worth. UPS uses USPS to ship their stuff. Ask me how I know:mad:

Could your package been on that UPS truck that crashed that has been all over the news the past week?

I haven't seen anything about a USPS truck crash. Since it was USPS I'm ranting about, I'm assuming that your mention of UPS above is a typo.

-- Tom

You never know? One of my packages late last year was one that got shipped even further than where I live. Then it sat for a week before it moved again. Around Christmas they sort of quit caring when you get your stuff. They already got paid:shock:

I know that some of the package delivery services have options where they ship it to your post office for your carrier to deliver. However, I have never been unable to track a UPS package, unlike the USPS, who charges money for slipshod trackiing.

Some years ago, the USPS managed to lose/steal some rare Seleukid bronze coins that were being shipped to me from San Francisco. That's when I found that they really don't even start looking until 30 days have elapsed and the situation hasn't resolved itself on its own.

-- Tom

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. USPS has contracts with FedEx and UPS for some types of mail delivery.

UPS would not allow USPS as it would violate the union contract. My neighbor is a UPS driver and told me if I ever see UPS trailers going down the interstate being pulled by a non UPS tractor, that I should tell him because there is a monetary reward for contract violations.

Papa

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. USPS has contracts with FedEx and UPS for some types of mail delivery.

UPS would not allow USPS as it would violate the union contract. My neighbor is a UPS driver and told me if I ever see UPS trailers going down the interstate being pulled by a non UPS tractor, that I should tell him because there is a monetary reward for contract violations.

Papa
X2 but depending, I work for a union carrier and sometimes other companies are allowed to pull our trailers if there arent enough drivers. That being said we are the only terminal allowed to do so in the area, sometimes when a neighblring terminl was short handed the supervisor would send some guys to that terminal and order a couple drivers since he was allowed too..... wish I was a ups line driver they make rediculous money over us since our pension cuts...joke a yrc company for anyone wondering (yellow,yrc,newpenn)

Papa

USPS does do final delivery on some items for Fedex (It's called Smart Post), but I don't believe they do so for UPS.

I ordered 1 lb. of stone meteorites from The Meteorite Men. They shipped in Priority 2-Day, and gave me a tracking number. The tracking system says that it left the Tucson facility on 12/12, with a delivery date of 12/15. There have been no updates since then, and no package to me, so the USPS may have returned them to the asteroid belt for all I know.

Everyone goofs up from time to time, but it has been the USPS which goofs up the most on packages to me, and cares the least. Their tracking system is guesswork at best. They may or may not have the ability to track, depending on where it goes. My local PO and the sorting center they receive from are OK at scanning packages, so I'm pretty sure they haven't seen it yet.

Am I overreacting to a package that is 2 days late? Maybe, but the USPS seems to have the attitude that I should consider myself lucky if I get the package at all. *IF* it arrives, they really should have to refund the difference between priority and parcel-post, since "Priority" is to the USPS as "Freedom" is to Kim Jong Un.

Besides, they have a prior history with me of lousing up. They tried to deliver the 17th century silver coins I got from Andrey to the wrong address (and possibly, the wrong zip code). They bent a book I won on eBay in 3 by slamming a loading gate on it. They took over a month to deliver a coin, which didn't arrive until the start of an insurance claim (they like to give their internal thieves a 30-day head start), and when I got it, it was postmarked the day it was shipped, so they just lost it. They shattered a mug I sent to my father.

On any item that I really want, or cost serious money, I usually prefer to go with UPS. Your mileage may vary, but UPS has always done well for me.

Just venting,

-- Tom

I ship and receive 1000's of packages every year and by far USPS is the most dependable and affordable service I deal with. My suggestion is to print all labels online through USPS.com or other sites. One of the largest issues with packages being lost or delayed is poor labeling. That includes illegible handwriting, incorrect city or zip code information, improperly sized or position addresses, etc. It's not the Post Office's fault if these issues cause delays , but of course they always get the blame for it. Another hint is to avoid Media Mail and Parcel Select (Parcel Post). Those services are cheaper for a reason and leave more time for your package to go astray.

IMO you are overreacting, but this is the internet so we're all allowed to do that. :D

This is literally one of the busiest weeks of the year for the Post Office and your package was supposed to arrive on the 15th, and it's not even 2 days late yet. I'd recommend taking a deep breath, your meteorite fragments have been floating around in space for billions of years another day or two isn't going to change them.

If I could see tracking info that it is sitting at a sorting center, even if it's the wrong sorting center, I wouldn't be as concerned. However, with the USPS terrible at best, useless at worst tracking system, I can't even see that they are still on the planet.

And, busy or not, sorry, they are charging for priority mail, and failing to deliver it. Also, I have no control over the printing of the labels, as I am the recipient of the package, not the sender. And I'm pretty sure the sender uses professional labels, since I think I remember it from the last package I got from them.

I paid for it with PayPal, and I'm not sure how much time I have with them to complain about non-delivery. It's too bad, since it's not the shipper's fault, it's the USPS.

-- Tom

If I could see tracking info that it is sitting at a sorting center, even if it's the wrong sorting center, I wouldn't be as concerned. However, with the USPS terrible at best, useless at worst tracking system, I can't even see that they are still on the planet.

And, busy or not, sorry, they are charging for priority mail, and failing to deliver it. Also, I have no control over the printing of the labels, as I am the recipient of the package, not the sender. And I'm pretty sure the sender uses professional labels, since I think I remember it from the last package I got from them.

I paid for it with PayPal, and I'm not sure how much time I have with them to complain about non-delivery. It's too bad, since it's not the shipper's fault, it's the USPS.

-- Tom

You have up to 45 days to begin a dispute of the charge with Paypal and up to 180 days with many credit card companies. Paypal won't even let you begin the process for items not received until it's been at least 7 days from the date of purchase. Also all domestic Priority Mail packages now include $100 in insurance coverage which will help cover the seller's costs if the item has actually been lost.

Never had any issues with USPS... I ship and receive lot of flat rate boxes. USPS like someone mentioned also does a lot of final deliveries for other carriers as well...

They haven't lost or damaged anything of mine or my customers yet.

Fed Ex on the other hand managed to bend the chit out of an aluminum truck rim, and two of the four they attempted to deliver got lost.. You know maybe if they put the truck rims in a bigger box they wouldn't have gotten misplaced so easy... :roll:

<*)))>{

Never had any issues with USPS... I ship and receive lot of flat rate boxes. USPS like someone mentioned also does a lot of final deliveries for other carriers as well...

They haven't lost or damaged anything of mine or my customers yet.

Fed Ex on the other hand managed to bend the chit out of an aluminum truck rim, and two of the four they attempted to deliver got lost.. You know maybe if they put the truck rims in a bigger box they wouldn't have gotten misplaced so easy... :roll:

<*)))>{

I'm not a big FedEx fan either, since I ordered some sodas from Foxon Park, which normally arrive in form-fitting styrofoam trays and uppers, but in this case, the number of bottles was short by one, and the remainder were all sticky, and delivered in a clear plastic bag with no explanation. It was obvious what happened.

My father used to work for the USPS, so I've heard a lot of horror stories.

-- Tom

Yep,a lot of packages we get at our station are dropped off by UPS ..... Fed Ex too.. We do the last mile.... , yes I am a proud USPS employee....We just had 3,000 packages dropped off @ our station for delivery!

I have always had exceptional deliveries here where I live in texas. Many early deliveries. I like my USPS. Tracking ain't perfect though. martin

Papa

I was waiting for UPS to deliver my package. Wound up got a card from USPS my gate was locked and I had to go pick a package up. The UPS package was stuck in a USPS package. I try not to order sh** that has to come USPS. My Postal carrier won't even blow the horn. They love to make you drive to pick up your package. I even left my gate open one day with the driveway cleared.They said I had a bad dog sign wired to the gate so they weren't going in the yard:shock:

FWIW USPS lost a friend of mines teknetics T2. Long story short he never got any money back or a detector. :mad:

Here is one of my tracking records in case you think UPS doesn't use USPS:lol:

Ordered something that is shipping by UPS. It's been traveling around. Now they dropped it off at the post office so USPS can deliver it. What the hell?

Date Local Time Activity
08/07/2014 10:32 A.M. Package transferred to post office
Jacksonville, FL, United States 08/07/2014 6:08 A.M. Destination Scan
Jacksonville, FL, United States 08/06/2014 11:57 P.M. Arrival Scan
Orlando, FL, United States 08/06/2014 8:31 P.M. Departure Scan
08/06/2014 4:38 P.M. Arrival Scan
Chattanooga, TN, United States 08/06/2014 7:46 A.M. Departure Scan
08/06/2014 12:19 A.M. Arrival Scan
Nashville, TN, United States 08/05/2014 8:51 P.M. Departure Scan
08/05/2014 1:04 P.M. Arrival Scan
Paducah, KY, United States 08/05/2014 10:54 A.M. Departure Scan
08/05/2014 7:02 A.M. Arrival Scan
Earth City, MO, United States 08/05/2014 5:08 A.M. Departure Scan
Earth City, MO, United States 08/04/2014 9:43 P.M. Origin Scan

Ugh

I understand your frustrations Tom. I had a package come up missing last year. The seller purchased the delivery confirmation, which showed my coins were delivered to my house. I questioned my postal carrier he said he would look into it. A week later nothing but "I'm not sure where I left it." It took me going to the post office and talking to the post master directly, shortly after the carrier delivered my opened package to me. He said he remembered which house it was left.

I had a package sent from Andrey, an expensive Rome denarius was damaged. I have no proof how or where it happened, but my guess would be by USPS, Especially after seeing how they throw packages on my front porch.

I hope it works out for you.

Fed ex and ups are so expensive that I use usps cause I can do next day for like $ 30 vs $140 and $160 with the other shippers. Weirdest usps experience ever for me was senong a package to New Zealand it went to Canada then Hawaii then New Zealand I was like why Imy in California it can go straight across the ocean.

Any chance someone that works at the PO is someone who had an in for you when you were in High School? Or did you bully someone in high school and its now revenge of the nerd? How about that girl you called names or stood up for a date. Heck there could be a lot of them out there banding together getting back at you one day at a time. Eternal torture..............

:lol:

happy hunting

Back
Top Bottom