• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

fixing my stick

treasureman

i broke by stick that holes the box,broke it at the hand grip.i was told to use goop but it made the stick like soft and didn't work,anyone know of a great glue?i know i should buy a new stick but its been with me from day one .i guess i just wore it out.

Gorilla glue is the best all around glue I know of.  It's readily available at home improvement stores and elsewhere.

JB Weld is great for 'gluing' metals together.  It can be found in auto parts stores.

Here is a web site that may be of interest:

http://www.thistothat.com/

I have used and had great luck with a product called "quick steel". It is sold at Napa auto stores. It is a puddy that you rub between your fingers to mix it, then mould it around what you are trying to fix. It is good stuff and worth a try for only 2-3 bucks.

If it is tubular , you can go to a hardware store and find a piece of copper, or other pipe a few thousands smaller and cut a short piece. Basically making an insert. and joing the two by putting the smaller piece into oner end of your detectors tube then putting the other end on, like a shim. may mean getting it round again so it will fit, I hope you understand. Can't draw a diagram for you to follow, nor do I know hat your setup is like.. good luck...smg

I would go with J-B Weld, get the industrial stuff if you can, the consumer ones tend to sit on the shelf for a while and it's potency can go down a bit.  If you are looking to replace it with fiberglass or carbon fiber, any kite making or repair shop will have the correct diameter tubing, plus the resin to bond it to steel, they can bend it, cut it, almost weld it.  I have a 19 foot wide delta kite with a 100 foot tail, shafts are 3/4" and break quite easily with a strong gust of wind, BUT that strong gust for me is about 500 pounds of forece on the stick.  Try the J-B Weld, you can always lop a little more off with a dremel if you have to.  In any case, when any epoxy is curing, take care to put a fan on it or the vapors in rare cases have done damage to electronics.    Good luck with it, HH!

Bri-

Don't mean to offend anyone, but I work with adhesives all of the time in my business. To repair what you have going on, make an insert from PVC pipe or conduit, as mentioned. Use either an epoxy cement or a CA glue such as "Superglue", but use the slower reacting formula. The strength of the repair is in the insert, not the glue.

Back
Top Bottom