Shrink wrap enviromental covers for your machines!!

khouse

Forum Supporter
I got tired of not seeing the display on my machines. So I got an idea of using a heavy duty shrink wrap bag. They are cheap on ebay and I figured it was worth a try. I purchased several 8x12 bags. I saw where there are two types of materials used. There are PVC bags as well as POF bags. They say the POF bags are more durable and softer. Both types shrink 40%. I did some experiments on bag sizes and decided the 8 inch wide bags would be best. These bags come 12 inches long. I don't know which material is going to be best yet. But today my PVC bags came in. I saw where I needed to cut the bag 7 inches long. Then I pulled the bag down tight and taped both sides together under the bottom of the control box. Then I got my heat gun out and set it to 300 degrees F. I started on the back in the center making the front more tight from the back. Then I moved around the sides and top and finally the front. These bags shrink very fast and the machine didn't get hot. I took it out in the sun and the clarity is super. If you want you can cut your regular cover out where the screen is and have extra protection. I have already done this and it works fine. I'm sure this will work with the ctx3030 too. Heck it works on my xterra. You just have to cut a flap for the headphones and then run some clear tape around the cut out for some added strength. Some machines may require a different size bag? But I'm sure this will solve a lot of problems. One of the pictures shows me pealing the wrap off on my first try. You can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
PS: I'll let you know how the POF bags work when I get them....
P6120303.jpg

P6120304.jpg

P6120305.jpg

P6120306.jpg

P6120307-1.jpg

I would be worried about it being a moisture trap.............

Let us know how if works out!

I would be worried about it being a moisture trap.............

Let us know how if works out!

How about adding one of those moisture packets you find in the bottom of the box that new electronic devices come in?

You know....the little white package that says "Do Not Eat".
I guess that warning is for the idiots that would think their new electronic device came with a free pack of white colored Nerds candy in it.

I use those inside the cover of my Ace 350. There is a small space on each side of the batteries so I taped a small pack on each side.

You could just throw one in while you are shrinkwrapping.

Update

I can tell you now that I have tried both types of bags that the PVC bags are the best. I also added some side protection with the gun wrap. But duct tape or packing tape will give the sides some extra padding. The clarity of the tight shrink wrap bags are fantastic. So far they are very durable. Cheap too.
P6140313.jpg

P6140312.jpg

Good idea besides your detector needs to breath.
If it cant breath condensation will build on the circuit board.

I think you need air circulation for evaporation. Why not just put a plastic sandwich bag over it when it rains like everyone else?

Or buy a custom raincover from Ebay so that it does allow for air circulation so it can breath. Besides condensation I would worry about overheating in summer.

Impressive. How about 2 layers?

Just put a moisture pack in between the coating and machine behind it. The machines are sealed pretty well. I just pulled my xterra apart last night and it looked like it has a moisture absorber built in(Velcro thing with paste in center).

Seriously guys if you are going to spend all that money for moisture removing packets, shrink wrap and camo tape you could spend the same amount as just buying a real raincover made to fit the machine.

The real question is why, for $1549, they could not give the E-Trac a waterproof housing in the first place. At least rain proof.

Back
Top Bottom