Found another Zippo! Plus thoughts after the Nox upgrade....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A description of the dig but also some musings on settings and stuff, if you want to skip all that just scroll down to the nice pic at the bottom.

Man I love finding jewelry, old coins and everything else but there are three things I always loved to find more than most...knives, watches and lighters.
Even parts are fun for me to dig but complete ones are even better.
Today I found my third complete Zippo and it is going back to the factory to get refurbished under their free repair warranty with the rest.

I came across a pretty big signal with the Equinox, I had the horseshoe turned on and I was getting tons of iron numbers, there seemed to be iron everywhere but I kept seeing the numbers 25-26 pop up on the screen, enough to make me curious an open a hole.
I dug a plug and there was the bottom of something shiny and square sticking out of the sidewall about 3" deep.
I was hoping it was a lighter and when I dug it out I saw it was and a Zippo at that.

A couple of rusty pieces of wire were in the hole, there may have been more but I quit looking after I found a few.
When I stuck my Carrot in the middle of the hole after digging out the lighter it went off big time everywhere I moved it.
Had to be some huge piece of metal underneath somewhere and I mean big like a buried car to set off the pinpointer like that.
I was happy.
I see an H on the bottom so it was made sometime after 1985, not sure when but it has been down there awhile and the insert is rusted in there pretty good.
Zippo will fix it up for me I am sure.

As far as the settings I was in Field 2, 5 tones and I lowered the iron settings and sped it up most of the way.
The first half of the hunt I forgot I had set the sense at 12 when i was checking the thing out in the house because if the noise and I forgot to bump it back up when I went hunting.
I didn't notice much difference, I seemed to hit most normal targets at most normal depths, I eventually pushed it back up to 22 for the rest of the time and I did dig my deepest targets after that change.

I had just updated the Nox this morning and this was the first hunt after I did that.
The thing ran real quiet the whole time, I got very few if no high tone high number falsing signals on rusty iron targets which infest most the dirt in my sites.
Usually these high used to show up all over the place as I moved around before the update.
This was something I was so happy to see so if the update fixed this issue for me and that was all that changed I will be extremely happy but I hope it did more.
The sometimes weak pinpoint volume did not get fixed, it sometimes stayed low, sometimes it started low and got louder but that's ok...I could still hear it and use it whenever I chose to hit that button.
The depth meter seemed to be more accurate on some targets, on others not so much but I never cared too much about that, either.
I have no idea if anything else was changed after the update but I can tell you I was using my really tiny sniper coil and there was a couple of targets I dug that were pretty deep.
I went after a few 12-16 targets on this hunt and they were beaver tail tabs and a couple were past the 5-6" depth level that we seem to hit and can't get past with any decent, accurate non screwed up numbers and tones.
To get pretty right on numbers on any targets that deep around here is pretty remarkable, there was at least one beaver tail that was deep at at least 7" if not a bit more and was in the mid 20's but out of the ground was a normal 14 or so so it up-averaged like normal but I am not sure why that one did and others didn't.
Just need more swing time.

Attachments

• photostudio_1538422378968_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1538422378968_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 279
Out of curiousity, will zippo fix a heavily corroded brass Budweiser zippo or send me some cheap stainless junk?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Out of curiousity, will zippo fix a heavily corroded brass Budweiser zippo or send me some cheap stainless junk?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

They will repair any broken Zippo, replace the insert, fix the hinges and get it working like it was new.
What they won't do is work on case finishes all that much.
If they can't fix the thing and get it working they will send you a new one that is close to similar as they can get plus they will also return the old one.
However unless the thing is close to destroyed they can usually fix them.

You just have to send it in and see what they will do.

Send it in! If I remember, You gave up smoking right D27? Well, get it back and pop it up on the For Sale segment! Beauty find! A good lighter and a good knife is about all guy needs to survive in this cruel World...a freaking nice pension comes in handy though...and a lawyer in the Family somewheres of course...You got the lighter...:laughing:

This must be the year of the Zippo. I have a friend whose found 7 in the last 2 months with his Nox 600, 5 were in 1 hole so we are jokingly calling that a Zippo spill. :lol:

I, however have never dug one, guess it's a mini bucket lister for me. :grin:

Congrats on the zippo! I've dug other lighters, but never a zippo. Can't believe you were on recovery speed of 1 and didn't notice it! The nox seems so slow under 5.

I did the same thing you did with the sense setting when I first got my nox. I was using it in the house checking various coins and had it on 10. The next day on my very first hunt I had forgotten it was on 10, but I still found my biggest gold ring to date!

Congrats on the zippo! I've dug other lighters, but never a zippo. Can't believe you were on recovery speed of 1 and didn't notice it! The nox seems so slow under 5.

I did the same thing you did with the sense setting when I first got my nox. I was using it in the house checking various coins and had it on 10. The next day on my very first hunt I had forgotten it was on 10, but I still found my biggest gold ring to date!

Yea, that thing did have some longer, lingering tones at 1, I was still acquiring targets a zeroing in on them fine even though they were all trash.
At lower sense I still seemed to be getting decently deep.
In my dirt most of the good stuff is between shallow and 5" and I think I could hit that at 12.
There are some targets deeper so I usually turn it up as high as I can just in case.
I think the update made my Nox a bit quieter and more stable, after I turned it up it seemed to be quieter than usual.

Back
Top Bottom