Pumping gas on near a gas pump-beware

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I had something happen to me today and I thought Inwould share.
It could have been devasting with the right conditions.

We do things every day and many time so don”t even give second thoughts.
Just what I did today.

I went to my local country store to get me a soda pop and some gasoline for my truck.
I pulled up and went inside.
You have to tell them inside to turn on pump.
They make strangers prepay, me not being a stranger they do turn on the fuel pump when I ask and then I pump and go back inside and pay..
Anyway, after asking for the pump to be turned on, I went out and grabbed the pump nozzle and afrter removing I reached up and flipped on the lever that turns on pump-as long as it is powered on inside store.
As I had just removed nozzle I flipped the power level, little did I know the nozzle was locked fully back in the pump position. Gas sprayed everywhere 60cents worth before I could disengage the pump lever inside nozzle. If someone would have been pumping gas innadjacent aisle, or standing near me they would have been covered in gasoline. I might have even when this happened spayednthe fuel on a hot exhaust or down the area beteeen my cab and bed of truck.
Luckily I didn’t get the gas on me.

Folks, all Incan say is beware when someone is starting to pump gas near you.

I think what happened is someone who previously used pump prepaid for a certain $$amount, hence when they fueled their vehicle they depressed nozzle lever all the way and locked, filled thier vehicle but the person prepaid and the pump was set for their paid amount such the pump shut off automatically and they just hung up the nozzle while lever was still back and locked.

It is my opinion, the ability of a gasoline pump nozzle should indeeed have no lock. Doing so this could not ever happen.

Thought I would share.

Yeah! Good advice to pay attention! I remember we went through a period of time where one of us would put a rubber band around the kitchen sink spray nozzle lever, and aim it right in front of the sink...for the next person to come along and get a soaking blast!....It wasnt gasoline though, but it taught a guy to pay attention to details where valves were concerned! :laughing:

My little local StopNRob just went 'Prepay' or CC at the pump about a month ago...Luckily, the attendants know me and know I pay cash and they just turn it on and let me do my thing...I asked them, "What percentage of your customers pay in cash?"....a year ago they said 20%...this year its down to Less than 10%...so theres a strange dilemma we as detectorists have to acknowledge and adjust to..Nobody is carrying any money around anymore.....

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Hope it isn’t some new fad. It is a potentially deadly trick to play on someone.

I had a similar close call many years ago (1960's) when I was a young boy. We had taken our neighbor Jim somewhere, doctor's appointment I believe, and stopped for gas. I was in the front seat between my Dad, who was driving and Jim. Being summer, the windows were down and Jim had just rolled a cigarette, had it in his mouth, the lighter in his hand just about to strike it. The attendant removed the hose, swung it around and for some reason, sprayed gas right in the front seat of the car onto my neighbor and I. Just a second later and he would have had the lighter lit and I probably would not be telling this story.

My Dad, our neighbor and my Mom, who was in the back seat, had more than a few choice words to say. My Dad actually handled it well and didn't beat anyone up. It was a very close call and thank God it turned out the way it did.

Yeah! Good advice to pay attention! I remember we went through a period of time where one of us would put a rubber band around the kitchen sink spray nozzle lever, and aim it right in front of the sink...for the next person to come along and get a soaking blast!....It wasnt gasoline though, but it taught a guy to pay attention to details where valves were concerned! :laughing:

My little local StopNRob just went 'Prepay' or CC at the pump about a month ago...Luckily, the attendants know me and know I pay cash and they just turn it on and let me do my thing...I asked them, "What percentage of your customers pay in cash?"....a year ago they said 20%...this year its down to Less than 10%...so theres a strange dilemma we as detectorists have to acknowledge and adjust to..Nobody is carrying any money around anymore.....

I filled up at the shell station in GH last week and someone had it in the full open position. I caught it before I started.

I wonder if people do that on Purpose.. sort of like unscrewing the Salt Shaker at a Restaurant before you leave.. not like I ever did that :shock:

Another trick is to fill a glass entirely with water, put the tip in it, and then cap it with a piece of cardboard or paper while you turn it upside down on the table (then remove the cardboard or paper). To get the tip, the wait staff has to make a mess. No, I've never done this, I merely saw it illustrated in a Beavis & Butthead comic. :)

A friend of mine got some very rude service from a waiter in Mexico, so he tipped him a centime. This was right after the oil market collapse and inflation in Mexico, so the centime was worth about 1/10 of a cent at that time. They stood outside the window to see his reaction. Luckily they were fast and the bus was nearby, because he was throwing plates and flatware at them. Of course, I only have his word for it as to the waiter deserving it or not. I personally wouldn't do it because I might like to come back to a restaurant a second time...

-- Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom