Need help modding these old gaiters

It's A Trap!

I bought these 1980s Italian military gaiters off some military surplus site 5 pairs for 10 dollars. Made from waxed canvas they repel water pretty well but the rivets and hooks are pretty weak and bend or pop off easy. I was thinking about sowing some Velcro to where the rivets are but im not sure if that would be the best option. I was also going to put some Velcro on the little strap that goes under your shoe so it stays on the canvas better. They stop water from splashing into my socks pretty well and so im worried about compromising the water resistance of the gaiters if I do modify them.

Let me know what you guys think

picture.php

picture.php

Stay away from Velcro, works terribly once it's dirty and hard to clean. I would rivit some quality snaps or hooks on them.

I had a set years ago but I don't know what ever happened to them. I have a pair of snake chaps in my storage shed that I got a good buy on but I don't know if I will ever use them.

I never thought of that. I could just pop out the old rivets and put newer, more durable ones in. Thanks!

I've learned the hard way haha. Yeah I think thats a good plan to use the same holes. easiest way to pop them off is use a dremel grinder then grind the back of the rivet a bit and it should just fall off.

Back
Top Bottom