Ace 250 Balance

Diverman

Hi All,

I had the pleasure of holding an MTX unit and found that it was very well balanced where My Ace 250 seems to be front heavy. I got to thinking about adding a counter weight under the arm rest to try to balance things out. Has anyone tried that before. If so, would you mind sharing?

Thanks,

DMan

The Ace is normally considered a light machine at 2.7lbs but you could try adding a fishing weight or two to the rear to counterbalance the coil to find out the total weight needed. Are you certain your not extending the shaft out further than you need. Shorten it and detect nearer your feet to cut the effect of coil weight on any detector.
If not to much weight is needed you could run the battery pack out to a box under the armrest. Many do this with the new Tesoro's to balance the larger coils and allow a pack of AA's to be used to extend the battery life.

I just got an MXT after swinging an Ace 250 for a year. The MXT is about a pound heavier, but seems much lighter due to it's balance. With the Ace, it seems like a small muscle in my forearm is holding up most of the weight. With the MXT, a larger muscle close to my shoulder is doing most of the work. 2-3 hours with the Ace starts to be quite fatiguing, & may even leave my arm sore the next day. I swung the MXT a LOT last weekend & never got tired of doing so.

It would seem that hanging a one pound weight on the back of the Ace should even it up & be within the weight range of the MXT. I just tried it, and it does balance the Ace better, but it still isn't as good as the MXT. I think that you'd have to install a 10-12" rod protruding rearward of the cuff and install the weight on the end of it to make the Ace balance like the MXT.

The other option is to hang the stock Ace coil on the wall, install a sniper coil & live happily ever after. Swinging an Ace with a sniper coil is a breeze.

Last edited:
Rod length makes a difference. I also have an MXT. I was getting a sore elbow and a sore muscle on top of my forearm just ahead of the elbow. I shortened the rod one hole and haven't had a sore arm in 3 months. Experiment. Rob

I have the 250 as well. What I did was take a bungie (sp) cord and attach it to a D ring that I attached right under the battery pack. I then clip the other end of the bungie to a belt loop on the back of my pants with the bungie on my shoulder. When I am swinging, I just apply slight downward pressure to get the coil to the ground and it almost just "floats" in the air. I have noticed by doing this, the fatigue is reduced quite a bit.

I've have an Ace 250 and the GTI 1500. The GTI is much like the Ace is balance wise but twice as heavy. With the 1500 and Ace it balances as if you're forcibly holding the coil above the ground like having a dog pull against you on a leash. When I got the DFX it's balanced in such a way that I almost couldn't get the coil on the ground as my muscle memory was thinking 1500. I think the DFX is around 4 pounds and the 1500 is 4 and change and just by the balance the DFX feels as light or lighter than the Ace 250.

Ace 250

Hi, I have a ace 250 i notice the wt. So i guled 8 50 cal. balls under arm rest. Seems to help a little. Its 4 oz. heaver. I think that it is the angle of the handle. Or the Distance of the arm rest. I have a BH IV It dos bal. better. Maybe we make a suggestion to Garrett. I will contitue to mod. this unit. Its a coin getter tho.

adding weight to the Ace250...

Adding weight under or around the handle to the Ace250 for counter balancing??? :?:
maybe this might do the trick??? :D
http://www.sunraydetector.com/
I know I'll be trying it soon! Otherwise.. right now I don't seem to be having much problem. I only have the standard coil (6x9), but I am tall, so I have the shaft fully extended.
Dusty Eagle

Back
Top Bottom