Hey science guys???

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Began watching a series on Netflix called "Worlds Worst Disasters" and episode 1 was on volcanos. They were talking about hot piping lava erupting and ash spewing everywhere, blacking out the sun and causing Ice Ages...etc. Then eposode 2 was about earthquakes and tectonic plates shifting, crashing against each other causing tsunamis and such...

I fell asleep in science class a lot, so let me see if I have this right: Basically we're a bunch of ants, building and rebuilding, floating aimlessly on several disks anywhere from 16-160 miles thick that will inevitably crash into each other causing endless shifting, uptop 800 miles of hot magma over 1,800 degrees, that could be swallowed up by the ocean, instantly plunged into an ice age, or vaporized by a lava spew and there ain't chit we can do about it?

But on a positive note...I did learn a new word today, "vulcanologist" which has nothing to do with Star Trek. Anyone else feel like drinking now? :?:

Last edited:
Yes.
About 25 million years ago the world was made up of one huge continent...Pangaea.

2.-pangea_245.gif

In about 250 million years from now this is one guess on how the world will look after the plates all move the continent's together...again.
Pangaea Ultima.

PangeaUltima_med.jpg

I'm not gonna worry about it much, though.

Reminds me of the Robert Frost poem "Fire and Ice" that I had to analyze for English class:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

As a matter of fact , I just sat down to the 'puter with the bottle , so , yep , I'll have a drink with ya . I always figured we weren't much more than a bunch of ants in an ant farm type setting for some giant alien's school project . :laughing: So here's to ya !! :beers::cheers3:

Yes.
About 25 million years ago the world was made up of one huge continent...Pangaea.

View attachment 369112

In about 250 million years from now this is one guess on how the world will look after the plates all move the continent's together...again.
Pangaea Ultima.

View attachment 369113

I don't see California on that map. Did it fall into the ocean? I heard if they start running east now, they might be saved.

Think the human race will still be alive by then? If not, then at least that's comforting.

OH, speaking of comforting...episode 4 was about avalances and how people can suffocate in light fluffy tons of snow. That sounds kinda nice...

Yes.

View attachment 369112

Pangaea Ultima.

View attachment 369113

If this does happen, I wonder if Trump's wall will stay intact, or if the president at that time would add on to it since other countries are closing in?

I believe the land mass divided by continental drift, but a lot more recently then one theory says, but I'm not debating this, but just saying research before accepting any science theory as fact.

I seen a mind boggling video once that described how all the continents fit together as if they were all one,....at one time and then broke apart. But get this......they fit together all the way around , not just on one side. As if the world were one much smaller and all dry land , and then the planet grew bigger to accomodate water in between the freshly ripped apart land masses. And when you look at it really does work , put all the land masses together how they fit and they will fit on the other side too.....well , when accounting for the changes over time. Like an orange peel , when the inside of the orange suddenly expanded , ripping the intact peel apart. Pangaea may not have been a continent surrounded by water , but dry land covering the entire face of the planet. Most people including scientists dont want to think of it this way because its hard to explain how this could have happened , so it gets ignored.

I've noticed some strange sciency things too! For instance, every so often, all the trees start shaking their limbs and leaves around in unison and by doing so, can create quite a breeze! I dont know why trees do this? Must be to shake off parasites or something? I'm not a botanist...On certain days, even the grass will get involved in this strange wind generating exercise...

I went to an Arboretum once to ask about this strange phenomenon...It was in like a big woods place....I drove all around in there but could never find the building, so I left disappointed...It didnt even look like any construction was started, all the landscaping was done though...

On to your topic of Continental Drift, maybe we can build a giant sail and plant it somewhere around Michigan where theres a lot of active wind generating trees...Then, we dig a trench along the Florida boundary, a bunch of Tractors in Georgia with chains attached to Florida, and use that State like some sort of gigantic earth rudder? That way, we can sail our Country wherever the hell we want!:laughing:

Or Magnets! Yeah! a whole lot of powerful magnets! We could certainly utilize them to pull our Continent anywhere we please! Wouldnt need a sail or a 'Florida rudder' then....Maybe I should apply for a million dollar Govt grant to work on this process?...

Thinking is hard...I've always thought that..some of the greatest inventions of Mankind spring from a little simple idea, a few creative brainstorming buddies working the problem, a challenge issued, a challenge accepted, followed by a "hold my beer and watch this!" request at the prototype stage!.:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
They do say Florida is not the true south , its a part of New Jersey that broke off and floated down and attatched itself to Georgia :lol:

Some funny comments above, but the poster of this thread is pretty much correct. Humans, for some unknown reason, think of themselves as greater than natural forces, but look around, have we even learned to control any part of the natural world? Sure we alter it to meet our needs...air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter, but we can only track weather and natural events.

Geologists, of which I was one for 40 years, can document changes in the past (deep time), by reading rocks like most folks can read a book. But we cannot predict the future, only stand by and let it happen. So in the world's scheme of things, we are just another species, presently an active one. We do not even dominate the earth population wise. On KT's 5 acres live 3 humans, but also millions of insects, hundreds of trees, millions of worms, etc., 1 dog, etc. Yet these are all just temporary...and in the vastness of space and time, our planet is just a speck in an instant of time. Learn to live with it. This is why KT lives life to the fullest, because in an instant He will be gone! LOL

"Never ask a geologist for a favor because we measure time in millions of years!"

The most powerful eruption that has known to occur took place right in Colorado. It is called La Garita. Is the only eruption to be classified as a "9" on the VEI scale. Fortunately, it occurred 27M years ago, and has been silent since.

But, we still have the Yellowstone Calder with its ever increasing magma chamber. The current estimate of the Yellowstone magma chamber is ~2400 cubic milies. They estimate it erupts approximately ever 670,000-800,000 years give or take. Fortunately, the chances of it erupting in our lifetimes, or even the lifetimes of our great-great-great-great grand children is pretty slim.

Note, that when La Garita went off in expelled ~1200 cubic miles of magma (~5000 cubic kilometers) . It had an estimated explosive force of ~250 gigatons. So, even if Yellowstone only blasts out half of its magma chamber, it will be just as cataclysmic as La Garita.

Back
Top Bottom