A hunt of a different kind...

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
With the holidays here, many of us have things to be grateful for and an abundance of other things like leftovers from the big Thanksgiving Day feast. Several years ago when I was divorced and my boys were visiting for Thanksgiving, I couldn't come up with a reason to make a large Thanksgiving Day spread for just the 3 of us. They were very young and picky about what they ate and going through all the trouble of preparing a huge meal and having leftovers for a week didn't make sense. So realizing all the things I was thankful for and wanting my boys to understand some sort of humility, we started a new tradition that gave us purpose to continue having that large Thanksgiving Day meal while also being able to help others.

Fast forward several years later, and it's a tradition we've kept alive amongst our larger family of my wife and together, our 5 kids. The kids actually look forward to it now and have a deeper understanding of why we do this...

So for about 2-3 hours every Thanksgiving after the big meal, we head out and hunt for the homeless. We all gather round the table and everyone helps pack meals, assembly line style, of all the extra food and desserts and bottled water to pass out. It's not much but to someone who has nothing, it can mean the world.

Packing it up...

And getting it ready to roll out...

There is nothing like being able to share something we normally take for granted, with those that are less fortunate. Seeing the smiles as you share part of your life with them, and even the tears sometimes from others because it's completely unexpected. And even sometimes the tears my kids try to wipe away because they know the true meaning now of what it is to give.

It's heartwarming and very humbling, and if you ever have the chance or see opportunity to be part of something like that, just do it. It's not something you could ever regret. Happy Thanksgiving!

That's a pretty cool and selfless thing to do, kudo's to you!

I know people do other things like donate time and money to different causes, but with all the food and leftovers during the holiday season...it's a prime time and easy way to cook just a little extra and it makes a big difference without a bunch of extra effort. Just sharing with others here an idea of an easy way to give back. My family doesn't have much to start with, but even that small amount is more than many will ever have. And it's the season to be thankful and grateful.

MrNovice, my hat is off to you sir. Great job of both thinking of the unfortunate people in the community and for teaching your kids to do the same. Job well done sir!

I know people do other things like donate time and money to different causes, but with all the food and leftovers during the holiday season...it's a prime time and easy way to cook just a little extra and it makes a big difference without a bunch of extra effort. Just sharing with others here an idea of an easy way to give back. My family doesn't have much to start with, but even that small amount is more than many will ever have. And it's the season to be thankful and grateful.

Sure others donate, I do as well, but you paid for the food, invested time in cooking it, invested time in packaging it and invested time and money delivering it. Like I say that's impressive.

OR......maybe you just used the "I'll deliver them, Honey..." as an excuse to get out since I saw photographic evidence of a MD in the back of the SUV. You can also write off the trip expenses since it appears your metal detecting adventure was tied to your charity work. LOL

OR......maybe you just used the "I'll deliver them, Honey..." as an excuse to get out since I saw photographic evidence of a MD in the back of the SUV. You can also write off the trip expenses since it appears your metal detecting adventure was tied to your charity work. LOL

Lol...can't say it hasn't crossed my mind! Any little errand the wife sends me out for, my eyes are always wondering... (Hmmm...I haven't hit that park for awhile).

"Oh yeah honey, you wouldn't believe it. Walmart was packed, lines were 25 people deep and there was an accident on the way home. Whole freaking intersection was blocked... I know, I couldn't believe it either!" :laughing:

But times like this, we take the whole family to experience. It's something that needs to be shared among all of us, and we can share together. Family time.

MrNovice, my hat is off to you sir. Great job of both thinking of the unfortunate people in the community and for teaching your kids to do the same. Job well done sir!

It works better than another of my cockamamie ideas, to have all the kids pick out their very favorite toy on Christmas morning and give it away. I never did it because I think it's just too cruel, but it could accomplish the same kind of humility we sometimes need. Either that, or I'd see the wrath of a possesed little demon spawn of Satan terrorizing the house for weeks...so yeah, we passed on that idea...

Excellent! Most of us have, are or will be homeless at some point, so this is a good Hands On way to develop a bit of Empathy/Emotional Intelligence in your Family...Thanks for Sharing this with us MrN!

One thing is, there are laws in some places against doing this, so you took a chance there as well...Good!
Mud

With all that is going on in the world. It is hart warming to hear some people truly care. For sure this world could use more people like you. Very nice of you to think of the less fortunate.

Excellent! Most of us have, are or will be homeless at some point, so this is a good Hands On way to develop a bit of Empathy/Emotional Intelligence in your Family...Thanks for Sharing this with us MrN!

One thing is, there are laws in some places against doing this, so you took a chance there as well...Good!
Mud

It really knocks the kids back down to Earth, especially with Christmas coming up. Suddenly all the "I'm going to die if I don't get the new _____ (insert newest gaming system, toy, whatever) for Christmas" disappears, when they meet people close up, trying to get by with less than what they wake up with in the morning.

There are laws here against panhandling, but I'm not going to let it stop our tradition. I'll proudly stand in front of any judge with my family there, and let them fine me for helping others out. There were many people in other vehicles around us and even a police officer in his cruiser, that saw us pull off the side of the highway service road to stop and get out to hand the food to someone who was needing it.

They were astonished, many just sitting in their cars watching oblivious to the stop light changing green for them to go until we all got back in the car, like they were paralized someone would do such a thing. Many showing support with a thumbs up as they patiently waited behind us to get back in and go to the next stop. The officer even giving us a nod, as we piled back in.

You know the ways of the homeless, Mud. You know it can be hard to locate them on days like holidays where traffic patterns aren't routine and everyone is not doing the 9-5. They're not at their usual corners and sometimes have to be hunted down, beside dumpsters behind gas stations and under the bridges. You really have to seek them out on those days, but nothing says I care about you more than that and you can see it.

With all that is going on in the world. It is hart warming to hear some people truly care. For sure this world could use more people like you. Very nice of you to think of the less fortunate.

Many people do different things to help, this thread wasn't about what we did...but just something to help members here think about ideas of what they can do. There are opportunities everywhere, this was just a tiny example for an idea of stuff that can be done pretty easily. We all care, and we should give examples because it empowers the rest of us to keep doing it!

Wonderful thing to do, and like you said that might keep your kids priorities just a little bit more in line with reality.

Back
Top Bottom