To Return or Not Return?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I was fortunate enough in April and May to find three gold rings while dirt hunting over the course of about four to five weeks. They are all quite old and all found in older areas of town deep in the dirt. In other words, they've been "in situ" for quite a while. A signet ring valued $80, a chunky 14k with a CZ stone valued $250, and a 14k with a 1/4 carat diamond valued $200.

My wife is honest to a fault and has been having difficulty with me keeping the ring that has a real diamond. She has pointed out that most States, including Iowa, have laws on the books requiring people to turn in valuables to the police when they are found. Of course, the law here in Iowa does not state a minimal value something should be when turning it in. It does state that you are to turn it in to the county sheriff or city police. They will document and hold onto it for ONE Year. if not claimed, you can reclaim it.

I've explained to her that I have no problem returning a ring if it has enough identifying markers that you could do some research and find out who the owner might be. Something like a class ring with a year and initials, etc. Unfortunately, I've never found something with such identifying markers so have never been fortunate enough to do a "return".

Just wondering if any on here would feel ethically inclined to turn in the rings? My wife, at first, thought the hold time was 90 days. I think the ONE year hold here in Iowa is overboard. I also think that the police have enough to do without documenting and holding such old, lower valued jewelry. I've explained that if it were a fresh drop and obviously worth much more money, I'd have no problem turning it in.

Thoughts? Would you turn in the rings? Would you trust you'd get them back after a year?

If it was public dirt, not on the surface, no markings, and not unusual then it's as good as yours. There's no way it could ever be positively IDed.

Was it public dirt?

Old gold found in the wild...without being asked to search for it? You own it now:pirate:

A pirates booty, 'eh:D

If no name/initials it's mine, you can send them to me:lol:

Just send me pics so I know they're yours. Oh wait, that won't work, I've already posted pics on here you could use:no:

If it was public dirt, not on the surface, no markings, and not unusual then it's as good as yours. There's no way it could ever be positively IDed.

An elementary school, a park, and a median. Definitely all public and no way to ID.

Was it public dirt?

I consider it a bucket list item to find and return a ring. i haven't been able to do it yet.

In your case I don't see how you would ever be able to find and return such items.

This topic has come up before on md'ing forums. Basically : All 50 states (not just Iowa) have Lost & Found laws on the book. They were born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s. And will typically state that if you find something worth like $100 or more, that you are required to turn it into the police L&F dept. They will hold it for 30 days (or perhaps 1 yr. in Iowa's case ?) and .... if no one claims it, then the finder can return to claim it.

And there might be storage fees you have to pay. Or the cost of the classified ad, that the police ran in the paper, to advertise "found item, come in to describe and claim" .

And the laws have logical purposes. So that you can't go "find" a mountain bike propped up against a tree in the park. Or "find" wads of cash scattered around a Brinks Armored car accident. Blah blah. And : The law makes no distinction on when YOU AND I think the item was lost (eg.: buried deeply, etc...). So the amount-of-time the object has been buried (which is subjective opinion anyhow), is irrelevant, to the letter-of-the-law.

Thus technically, your wife is right.
:roll: And technically, all the show & tell gold rings you see here, are violations as well (since I'm fairly certain that none of them are rushing to the police station with each ring).

Thoughts? Would you turn in the rings? Would you trust you'd get them back after a year?

I am not sure what American Police are like, but in the UK I would give no more than 50% chance of getting back as unclaimed...

Now not every Police officer is corrupt/dishonest, but I think a significant enough of them are...

You can certainly take all your rings to the police if you want. And I'll bet the original owner will never come in to ID it. And as to whether or not you get it back : I hate to be cynical, but I wonder if the attendant at the counter might not be the proud new owner of that ring or Rolex. Ie.: What's to stop them from waiting till the 29th day, then calling their Cousin Bob, and saying : "Come down to the station and describe a ring with the following features" ?

I know that sounds DASTARDLY. And I believe most cops are honest. But in *this* case, when you put yourselves in their shoes :

1) You turned this in knowing FULL WELL it might get claimed.

2) It was never YOURS to begin with ! You only "found" it. Therefore, how have you been harmed ??

3) The police are under no obligation to tell you who claimed it. D/t privacy laws.

4) Most stuff that gets turned in to L&F like this, are simply never claimed by the person who turned it in. So they will end up in police auctions, or on the mantle place of some police office personnel .

I have often thought about doing an experiment with my own wedding ring. And turning it in as "found", and see if I can get it back in 30 days.

About 15 years ago my mother worked at a putt putt golf place in a small tourist town in south Alabama. She found a purse with a good bit of money in it. She wasn't sure how much but said there were quite a few hundreds in an envelope. She turned it over to the local policeman who routinely hung out around the corner running radar. 2-3 days later the lady who lost the purse was there again and when she found out my mother was the one to find the purse was very appreciative for her turning it in. Then the lady lamented that the envelope of money was not there but she did still have the credit cards so the vacation was not a bust. My mother did not have the heart or was afraid to mention to her the envelope with the money was still in the purse when she turned it in.

About 15 years ago my mother worked at a putt putt golf place in a small tourist town in south Alabama. She found a purse with a good bit of money in it. She wasn't sure how much but said there were quite a few hundreds in an envelope. She turned it over to the local policeman who routinely hung out around the corner running radar. 2-3 days later the lady who lost the purse was there again and when she found out my mother was the one to find the purse was very appreciative for her turning it in. Then the lady lamented that the envelope of money was not there but she did still have the credit cards so the vacation was not a bust. My mother did not have the heart or was afraid to mention to her the envelope with the money was still in the purse when she turned it in.

Interesting story. As I said, I'm tempted to take my own wedding ring in to the police in my city, and turn it in to L & F. I'll make sure there's something distinctive inscribed in it. Then come back in 30 days and see if anyone claimed it.

I hope that stories like yours are rare. I tend to think that most cops are honest. The incident you describe could have happened in the office where he took it to for storing, and not the cop on radar. Who knows ?

I was fortunate enough in April and May to find three gold rings while dirt hunting over the course of about four to five weeks. They are all quite old and all found in older areas of town deep in the dirt. In other words, they've been "in situ" for quite a while. A signet ring valued $80, a chunky 14k with a CZ stone valued $250, and a 14k with a 1/4 carat diamond valued $200.

My wife is honest to a fault and has been having difficulty with me keeping the ring that has a real diamond. She has pointed out that most States, including Iowa, have laws on the books requiring people to turn in valuables to the police when they are found. Of course, the law here in Iowa does not state a minimal value something should be when turning it in. It does state that you are to turn it in to the county sheriff or city police. They will document and hold onto it for ONE Year. if not claimed, you can reclaim it.

I've explained to her that I have no problem returning a ring if it has enough identifying markers that you could do some research and find out who the owner might be. Something like a class ring with a year and initials, etc. Unfortunately, I've never found something with such identifying markers so have never been fortunate enough to do a "return".

Just wondering if any on here would feel ethically inclined to turn in the rings? My wife, at first, thought the hold time was 90 days. I think the ONE year hold here in Iowa is overboard. I also think that the police have enough to do without documenting and holding such old, lower valued jewelry. I've explained that if it were a fresh drop and obviously worth much more money, I'd have no problem turning it in.

Return> No, Heck no, and HE$$ NO!

If all of a sudden one day my wife woke up and thought it would be morally right to turn in my detecting valuables , she is not the person I married. That would be grounds for divorce.

Interesting story. As I said, I'm tempted to take my own wedding ring in to the police in my city, and turn it in to L & F. I'll make sure there's something distinctive inscribed in it. Then come back in 30 days and see if anyone claimed it.

I hope that stories like yours are rare. I tend to think that most cops are honest. The incident you describe could have happened in the office where he took it to for storing, and not the cop on radar. Who knows ?

Years ago, I went hunting at one of our local schools in the early morning. Much to my surprise, I found a leather golf bag with a full complement of wood and irons (photo in my album) in the parking lot. After my hunt was over, I went to the San Jose Lost & Found department and turned it in. 30 days later no one had claimed it so the police called me and told me it was mine if I wanted it. Sold it on Craig's list for a nice profit.

Years ago, I went hunting at one of our local schools in the early morning. Much to my surprise, I found a leather golf bag with a full complement of wood and irons (photo in my album) in the parking lot. After my hunt was over, I went to the San Jose Lost & Found department and turned it in. 30 days later no one had claimed it so the police called me and told me it was mine if I wanted it. Sold it on Craig's list for a nice profit.

Now that's a good deed that didn't get punished .:yes:

I will only consider returning an item if there is enough identifying information to warrant the attempt OR if I know for a fact that someone has recently lost said item. Otherwise there are to many variables to make such an endeavor worth my time. I didn't take up this hobby for altruistic reasons, but also won't knowingly keep something if there's a reasonable possibility to returning it to the rightful owner.

.... OR if I know for a fact that someone has recently lost said item. Otherwise there are to many variables ...

The law doesn't make allowances and exceptions for those "variables". Because, otherwise EVERYONE would be jumping on those lame excuses. Eg.:

1) "But officer, I only *found* this mountain Bike." Or

2) "But officer, I thought someone lost this mountain bike years ago and was no longer looking for it".

3) "But officer, there wasn't enough identifying information on it"

Blah blah blah. :roll: So : Are you trying to tell us that you are a lawless miscreant, who violates the md'rs code-of-ethics ? How could you stoop so low ? :nono:

I consider it a bucket list item to find and return a ring.

Definitely on my bucket list as well!

Thus technically, your wife is right.[/B] :roll: And technically, all the show & tell gold rings you see here, are violations as well (since I'm fairly certain that none of them are rushing to the police station with each ring).

And she does remind me from time to time that, technically, she is right:(

I am not sure what American Police are like, but in the UK I would give no more than 50% chance of getting back as unclaimed....

I think our cops are probably pretty similar to yours. Just human nature in some cases.

I have often thought about doing an experiment with my own wedding ring. And turning it in as "found", and see if I can get it back in 30 days.

A neat little experiment there Tom, unless it's your wife that initiates it:shock:

About 15 years ago my mother worked at a putt putt golf place in a small tourist town in south Alabama. She found a purse with a good bit of money in it. She wasn't sure how much but said there were quite a few hundreds in an envelope. She turned it over to the local policeman

In that particular scenario, I'd like to think I would do the same. Kudos to your Mother!

Interesting story. I hope that stories like yours are rare. I tend to think that most cops are honest.

I do tend to think most cops are honest. And I'd be much more willing to turn something over if it were only 30 days. My wife had originally assumed it was 90 here in Iowa. She then looked it up and found out it was an entire year. Way too long in my estimation.

Return> No, Heck no, and HE$$ NO!

I certainly understand this philosophy Beachhunt1, after all, there's a lot of effort that goes into our finds.

If all of a sudden one day my wife woke up and thought it would be morally right to turn in my detecting valuables , she is not the person I married. That would be grounds for divorce.

I have to admit that my wife's brutal honesty is a good trait in almost all instances. She's an accountant who has been responsible for literally millions on the accounting books of various businesses through the years. A lack of honesty could've been a disaster in her line of work. And, believe me, she's witnessed it plenty in the business world. We've haggled a bit over where the line should be drawn in terms of what makes a find keepable versus something that should be turned in.

A great ending to a good story!

Now that's a good deed that didn't get punished .:yes:

:yes:

And the laws have logical purposes. So that you can't go "find" a mountain bike propped up against a tree in the park. Or "find" wads of cash scattered around a Brinks Armored car accident. Blah blah.

As someone who has spent a considerable number of years enforcing laws, I can tell you that the modern intent of lost and found (or theft of lost/mislaid property) laws is exactly this. No LE agency that I have ever encountered expects anyone who finds unidentifiable obviously lost property to turn it in. It is strictly to keep unscrupulous people who would take advantage of unattended property, or latch on to property that might have been proceeds of another persons crime. It's also to eliminate a defense against possessing stolen property by claiming ignorance of the original crime.

The law doesn't make allowances and exceptions for those "variables". Because, otherwise EVERYONE would be jumping on those lame excuses. Eg.:

1) "But officer, I only *found* this mountain Bike." Or

2) "But officer, I thought someone lost this mountain bike years ago and was no longer looking for it".

3) "But officer, there wasn't enough identifying information on it"

Blah blah blah. :roll: So : Are you trying to tell us that you are a lawless miscreant, who violates the md'rs code-of-ethics ? How could you stoop so low ? :nono:

I don't adhere to labels...call it what you like....BTW, I also like to torture fish by catching them and letting them go....

Back
Top Bottom