Whites Classic IDX ???

ladybugmyheart

Hi, I'm looking to get into this hobby with my 10 year old daughter and posted an ad on craiglist to buy a used metal detector. In response an offer for a Whites Classic IDX with 2 coils one being a 10" Blue Max 950 and the original 8"
seller says its also know by the pro's as a Classic SL and is selling it for $250 but states its about $1200 value.

Hope someone can help me out and let me know if that is a good deal???
Thank You

The classic IDX as far as I know has been out of production for a few years. It was probably around a $400 machine when it was sold new , possibly a little more but not much. There may be others on here that have a better idea of the value but if they want more than $200 for it used then I think they are asking too much. I base that on the fact that there are a couple of equal or better detectors on the market that cost less than $250 brand new from other companies. Kinda sounds like the guy selling it either dont know much about it or he may be misleading you on some things. The classic SL was a different detector without any visual target ID screen , and $1200 brand new was closer to the asking price for the XLT which was top of the line a few years back.

$1200 value:roll: I don't think so. They're pulling your leg. I know where there is a Whites IDX Pro for $275 so $250.00 is not out of the question but I wouldn't want to go any higher. Steve.

Actually the price is good for an IDX. They are a very popular detector with knowledgeable people. I'm in Texas for the winter but will be selling my Mr. Bill IDX for around $300 with a extra 5.3 coil when I get home. The standard coil for an IDX was the 9.5. The 8" was standard on the ID. The $1200. is wrong. Rob

The ststed 1200.00 new price tag is a bit high. Even with two coils. 250.00 is a good deal though

If your just starting out for both of you and I don't know your budget. I would look for a local White's dealer about the new Coinmaster..MSRP is $179.95 but you might get a better deal from the local dealer....For the $$$ you get a great detector with some good functions, great target ID and they go deep......Good look.....

Idx

$275.00 to $300.00 is the average price for a good clean IDX with one coil. Depending on codition yes, that is a good price.

HH Tom

more questions ??

Thanks for so many quick and detailed responses,as far as everyones overall opinion, It seems to be a fair deal overall as long as I know we will stick with this. I would've loved this as a kid so I'm pretty sure I will if she doesn't lol. So far we found alot of hotwheels around the yard lol so I came to ask some opinions of people who know there stuff cause the first time around I paid $30 for a Discovery 1100 (obviously speaks for itself and tells you why I found this forum! lol) Ok I asked this person for pix of it and on the box directly below the arm rest it says Classic SL then the box below where your hand goes says Classic IDX . Don't know if that means something good, bad, or indifferent!! lol It is sure confusing if nothing else. :) I didn't know it could be 2 different things! ???
Help

Does it look like this one.

Attachments

• classidx.jpg
    classidx.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 13,965
Ok, I stand corrected, it does say classic SL. OOOPS!!! I was thinking the reference was to the classic I, II, and III SL. That explains why those who know have said $250 really isnt a bad price , since its the top of the line in the classic SL series. :grin:

Yes they are good detectors...That's about the going rate so not bad and with two coils....Just know who your dealin' with......Good luck...

ladybugmyheart,

The price is certainly fair and having used one, I know they are a great detector. That said, I do not think it would be a good choice for a 10 year old girl. The weight needs to be considered. I think the Tesoro line of detectors might be a better choice. They are much lighter and would be easier to handle than the Whites. It doesn't take long for the weight to become a serious factor, with a 10 year old girl. Good luck with your decision.:yes:

Wow I really appreciate all the advice thanks, I'm getting it tomorrow and will probably go out this weekend. My daughter and I both are very excited. This guy seems to know alot about metal detectors too and is offering free advice and tips, so over all I feel like I'm getting a pretty good deal!

Wow I really appreciate all the advice thanks, I'm getting it tomorrow and will probably go out this weekend. My daughter and I both are very excited. This guy seems to know alot about metal detectors too and is offering free advice and tips, so over all I feel like I'm getting a pretty good deal!
Thats great, hope you's have alot of fun with it & keep us posted on how well you like it. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom