Nox 800/deus

basstrackerman

Elite Member
Good morning. After using my nox and getting my butt kicked by my buddy and his deus I have been doing some research on why... He was hitting on things that sounded really good and my nox just wasn't giving any type of dig me signals.. so what I am seeing is the deus is more relaxed when it comes to settings. In other words it can be off on your settings some and it still hits good on targets. The nox not so much. This is just from what I've been seeing in serious iron nail littered sites. I did an elevated nail over a dime test... A nail 2" above the dime I would keep sliding dime in closer til the nox could not pick it up on a standard to slow swing speed. If I used any iron bias the dime disappeared. I tried all speed settings from 1-8. Same results. So iron bias stayed at 0.. now as far as speed goes I heard the best signal on 4-6 even pretty good down to 1. On 8 it was so clipped even at a snail's crawl . Sensitivity did not seem to change anything til I was down to like 10-12.. but running 25 was fine. So the iron bias may have been why I was not matching the deus my buddy has the other day on targets in beds of nails.
So now I tested the deus where I left the dime at the point the nox could not hit it... The deus hit it once I raised frequency to 11.. then smoother at 17 and the perfectly clear on 25.7 kHz.. that was reactivity 2 iron audio 2 deep mode, 11" x35 coil. I moved the dime in to edge of block where nail was 2" above and tried. Bad signal.. set reactivity to 2.5 and it started hitting it. Went to 3 and I could swing kind of fast. At 4 I could swing as fast as I wanted and it picked the dime up just fine. ..the Id was obviously off and reading down to 1-5 but tone was great! now I tried every configuration on the nox and no go. Even single frequency up to 40. Nothing worked til the dime was 3-4 or more inches away..

Yeah Cal I see what your talking about. They both compare very close on most situations. I think if iron bias was set to 0 I would have had better results.

Both will work well in thick iron. I like the Nox for open areas and the Deus for the woods. I love the Equinox about as much as my Deus. They are just different machine with weaknesses and can use them both to compensate each other. For relics I got a one two knockout punch with these two detectors.

I agree with calabash. Love them both and very close in ability. For some reason the EQ 800 just clicked with me from the start. I think coin wise I like the EQ response better in those old hunted to death schools & parks. Both are amazing on gold in tot lots.

I agree with calabash. Love them both and very close in ability. For some reason the EQ 800 just clicked with me from the start. I think coin wise I like the EQ response better in those old hunted to death schools & parks. Both are amazing on gold in tot lots.

Yep . When I first got the nox 600 it was amazing, deep, fast, accurate ID , everything about it was really great. I never used my deus much cause the nox was that good.. then I sold the deus and picked up a nox 800 so my buddies could use the 600. Well the 800 must have been born with some hidden issues that I wasn't aware of right away. Long story short I traded the 600 for another deus and my 800 sat most of the time. I was hoping for an update. When I did use it I fiddled with settings all the time due to it's behavior. So now that it's working great with new re-installed update I need to stop messing with settings so dang much. My iron bias too high and along with maybe some deus emi which I blame for it's short coming the other day. Did well with it today and I absolutely love the tones. Like sweet music

I've been using the 6" coil with my Nox 600 for the past couple of weeks, mostly in park 2, default settings except I notched out everything below 10. It knocks it out of the park in areas with a lot of aluminum debris - beats my Deus in that, and no electrical interference at all (unlike Deus). but in some areas with very old iron nails, not so much. It makes a bent square nail at 6" sound and read like a quarter. But I did find some coins, including one silver dime in a worked over and wooded site of an old baseball field. I've been over that place with every machine I ever owned and the screws and bolts where the stands used to be defeated all of them except the Nox. Deus might have done better if I had a smaller coil on it, I don't know. Bottom line - Deus and Nox both have their place. I often take them both when I go out hunting - leave one in the truck and maybe swap out occasionally.

I read your other post earlier, and I suspected iron bias was the cause.
One thing about Deus vs Nox 800, nonferrous being influenced by ferrous will yield ID in error moreso vs equinox.
I have seen this in the wild and also when doing tests.
So if Deus is is in error, like reading low, even in the iron range, it could be anything nonferrous even a good ole silver coin.

Tnss yes I agree the ID numbers really drop if the good targets are near or surrounded by iron. I retested I few times today and the deus can hit the dime pretty much under the raised nail with an ID of 4-5. The nox was able to get the dime 1.5" to side of raised nail (rusty square nail) but have an ID of 18-23. So better ID but not quite as close to nail.. splitting hairs really. Now in the last test I did with dime under or near under nail the deus only picked it up in 17kHz slightly and 25.4kHz pretty good. Now im sure this is where the HF coils shine . Still impressed with both machines. If I had to pick one ... Nox is water proof, easier to charge, smaller coil available, better screen, better tones causing no headache etc. Deus lighter, more compact, slightly better in iron, ...idk

My conclusion on Nox 800 when relic hunting

set it up for which ever mode or program works best for your type of soil, hunting area (eg lots of iron, or lots of trash or not much iron or trash) and then dig every solid signal. Or maybe just dig every signal.

hunting coins it seems a lot easier for me in a trashy park especially with the 6" coil. With tone breaks it is easy to just set it to find 24 and above with good solid high pitch for coins in the 2 tone mode. It will tame a trashy park if you adjust it right and I suspect for a trashy park that is supposedly hunted out based on some videos I have seen on the 800.

Back
Top Bottom