Harbor Freight C-tech Pinpointer Switch Fix

Billvert

Elite Member
I purchased two Cen-Tech Pin pointers from Harbor Freight one online and one I picked up at the local store. The first one worked great for about a month before the switch became intermittent. After about a week of intermittent operation the switch failed completely. At that time I took my back up unit out of the box and took it on it's first outing. Within two hours the switch on the second unit failed completely.

I removed the four screws and took the backs off of both units, I immediately noticed one of the wires had become detached from The terminal on the older unit. I removed the shrink wrap from both terminals and was amazed to find no solder on one switch terminal and a very poor cold solder joint on the other.
I re-soldered both wires to the switch and much to my dismay but not surprise the switch was back to its intermittent condition. The problem was obviously internal to the switch, which visually and mechanically seemed to be of very poor quality.

I then went to Radio Shack and purchased a push button SPST (single pole single throw) switch. I chose one that locked in the one position, with a second push of the button realeaseing it to the off position. Although the switch is larger (and much sturdier) I was just barely able to squeeze it into the pinpointer.

The part number for the switch is 275-1565 and the cost was $2.79 + Tax.

BTW the new switch works great and the larger size is much easier to use with my heavy winter gloves.

I hope this is helpful to anyone experiencing similar problems with the Cen-Tech Harbor Freight Pinpointer.

Excuse the mud in the pictures here in the northwest we run our gear hard and put it away wet.;)

Pic 1: The new switch installed, old switch removed and sitting to the left on the back cover.

Pic 2: Side view of one unit repaired the other with original broken switch.

pic 3. Switch comparison repaired unit shown from back side.

Note larger physical size of new switch. It will be a tight fit and the cover will be a little tough to get back on but it does fit without modification to the switch or pinpointer case.

Attachments

• S4300065.jpg
    S4300065.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5,147
  • S4300069.jpg
    S4300069.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,182
  • S4300072.jpg
    S4300072.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,156
  • Front s by s new RT..jpg
    Front s by s new RT..jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,301
  • S4300073.jpg
    S4300073.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4,152
I've had mine for several months now and haven't had any problems yet. I've been thinking about buying another as a backup. I'll keep your switch modification in mind if it goes out. I found a small camera case to put on my belt to hold it. The factory case is to snug a fit and I spent to much time trying to get it back in. I doubt if it will fit with your switch in the factory case. I hunted for so many years without a pinpointer, i keep forgetting that it's there.

I found a small camera case to put on my belt to hold it. The factory case is to snug a fit and I spent to much time trying to get it back in. I doubt if it will fit with your switch in the factory case. I hunted for so many years without a pinpointer, i keep forgetting that it's there.

you don't have to take it in and out of the case simply punch a hole for the switch and light flapjack did it to his with a paper hole punch it looks pro.

flapjack take a pic of your case and post it here.

maybe you could mod the case using a billfold or take a old tape measure apart? clipping it on and off between uses.

Anyone who has these should replace the switch, it is a cheap fix, the OEM switches are the cheapest garbage switch I have ever seen and it will fail, its like a lemming and will eventually hail the call of the wild and jump the cliff, put a new switch in and it turns it into a great pin pointer for under 20 bucks.

I've had mine for several months now and haven't had any problems yet. I've been thinking about buying another as a backup. I'll keep your switch modification in mind if it goes out. I found a small camera case to put on my belt to hold it. The factory case is to snug a fit and I spent to much time trying to get it back in. I doubt if it will fit with your switch in the factory case. I hunted for so many years without a pinpointer, i keep forgetting that it's there.

I know what you mean Richard, I have been hunting for two weeks without a pinpointer and my pinpointing is getting so dead on I don't miss it that much. when I do miss it is for the tiny "no see ums" like bobby pins, and BB's and tiny foil that I get a lot of in Tot lots.

you don't have to take it in and out of the case simply punch a hole for the switch and light flapjack did it to his with a paper hole punch it looks pro.

Quote by Billvert
I was wondering if it would fit in the pouch with the larger switch. As you can tell by my pictures I have never used the cases there still in the box. The pinpointer fits nicely in the nail pouch I carry, along with my digger and probe.

flapjack take a pic of your case and post it here.
I'd like to see that too

Anyone who has these should replace the switch, it is a cheap fix, the OEM switches are the cheapest garbage switch I have ever seen and it will fail, its like a lemming and will eventually hail the call of the wild and jump the cliff, put a new switch in and it turns it into a great pin pointer for under 20 bucks.
I don't like to bash any equipment on the forum. I am very happy with the performance of the Cen-tech in general. I must however say I agree that is probably the lowest quality switch I have ever had the misfortune to use.

I guess you have to cut corners somewhere to deliver a unit for less than $$20.00.

Belt1.gif
Like I said, I wear my pinpointer on my belt. I had this camera case lying around that is large enough to carry the pinpointer without losing it, and it's easy to remove and replace.

pinpointer

I modified mine to have a grip like a pistol. fits a Colt holster, drives the locals nuts until they look and know me. Bob No pics.

Thanks for the info. Mine just stared giving me fits today. It also made a frying sound instead of the beep even with a good LED light showing. related or a different problem I dont know.

Thanks for the info. Mine just stared giving me fits today. It also made a frying sound instead of the beep even with a good LED light showing. related or a different problem I dont know.
One of mine makes the same frying sound intermittently. I'm not sure how to fix it there is an internal 20 turn pot. that seems to temporarily fix the problem. It could possibly be the switch since I changed the switch in the first one it hasn't done it since.

Upon further examination the Pot appears to be a 1 turn pot so use a jewelers screwdriver to fine tune it.

Last edited:
If you replace the switch this problem will go away, the OEM switch is terrible and causes this and other problems due to its poorly designed contact, for a couple of bucks and a quick solder you will transform this pinpointer into a reliable tool, hope this helps.

Here is the trimming Potentiometer, I took
a picture of it on the board and also included a link to it's manufacturers website.

The second picture is of the Vibrating motor I installed. It works fine connected in parallel with the piezoelectric speaker. I am working on finding a suitable switch so I can toggle between vibrate, audible and both.

Link to trimpot data:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...-Square-Multiturn-Trimming-Potentiometer.html

Attachments

• bOURNS POT.jpg
    bOURNS POT.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,988
  • VIB MOTOR.jpg
    VIB MOTOR.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,896
  • mot 2.jpg
    mot 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,629
If you replace the switch this problem will go away, the OEM switch is terrible and causes this and other problems due to its poorly designed contact, for a couple of bucks and a quick solder you will transform this pinpointer into a reliable tool, hope this helps.

I agree, This is a really quirky problem and a really poorly designed switch. The switch seem to have enough conductivity to pass enough electricity for the Led to function properly but it's poor electrical connection causes a impedance or inductance problem that makes the piezo circuit unstable.

As I said earlier when I replaced the switch the squealing went away completely.

Thanks for all the tips. I picked one of these up yesterday at the local Harbor Freight. They had one left in stock. I took the advice in advance and dropped in a new switch, with some extra length of wire to help make it easier to install. I also replaced the speaker with a vibrator motor. I slipped one of the chair nibs on the end as well.

One other add on that I thought would help was a bigger sensitivity control knob. I just dropped one on over top of the existing knob, this should also help keep the dirt out.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103790#

Now please tell the rain to stop pouring so I can go out and try it.

centechpointer01.jpg

I had a similar problem with mine having the switch going out. Which kinda ruined my day of hunting.
I didn't like having to hold down the switch to start with, and I also didn't like having the pinpointer beep. I hunt alot of tot-lots and that "beep" is a kid magnet. I hate to be rude or mean so I end up showing them what I'm doing then I leave before they get too nosy.

I took Billvert's advice and got the same switch from radio shack, and it is a bit too big to be installed w/out modding a little. Just took my dremel and used a router bit(endmill) to gently cut a hole in the side of the plastic tube just big enough for the end of the switch and wires. I like the feel of this switch, and really like fact that I can switch it on & fine tune the sensitivity with one hand.

My fix for the sound was to simply cut the speaker wires and install a vibrator motor from a flip phone.(I have about 5 that are messed up or obsolete.) It looks like a watch battery, but vibrates plenty good enough to know when you found the target. I glued it to the case with lots of rubber cement that can take the pounding when transmitting plenty of good vibrations. lol :lol:
Vibrator_Samsung-SGH-600.jpg

Great idea on the Vibrating feature... ya'll rock! I think I will do the same with my CTech. I had thought of adding a red LED.... but like the vibrate better and have tons of old cell phones. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom