• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Vibra-Tector 730 for shallow water snorkeling/hunting

surreysale

Hi,

I'm thinking of going on vacation, but can't take a large conspicious metal detector with me. I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the beach and snorkeling in shallow water in touristy areas.

I'm wondering if it's worth buying a cheap Vibra-Tector 730, even though only has a 4" coil and a 3" depth?

Does anyone have experience using on a Vibra-Tector 730 and nothing else?

I have a lot of time to kill on the beach.

What do you think? Is it worth hunting using something so small? Will I even pick up anything?

J

Attachments

• vibratector730.jpg
    vibratector730.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8,430
Thats cool. Where is it sold and how much is it? If its not that much try it out. I could put that thing to good use. HH WOLF

Interesting question, that.

There's no indication on the website regarding depth, but it looks like a standard Vibra-probe with a different "coil". The standard VP is pretty good to about 2" in the sand.

Additionally, don't forget some kind of scoop to recover your treasure.

Maybe not worth the money

I checked prices. It seems that it will cost $184 + 5% GST = $193.20

It might be better to put in another $400 and get a proper MD that can be broken down and transported in a small suitcase.

Which MD do you folks recommend for beach hunting? Something in the $400 - $600 range (it has to be able to be broken down).

J

Actually a user on TQ has bought the VibraTector JUST for that exact purpose. She lives in Destin and does a big of snorkeling. I've heard nothing but love about it and they're so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! (not that that really matters but I'm a girl. lol!)

The depth you're reading is what I've read also, and I don't know of any other metal detector that tiny that would be THAT inconspicuous and is waterproof to any significant depth...

As for something that breaks down,... man nothing is coming to me at the top of my head... even the Excalibur (which is not in that price range) the smallest it'll get is by hip-mounting it, but you've still got the full size shaft and coil... hmm...

Oh well, I hope I helped a little!

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on it... if its only has a depth of 3 inches your not going to find gold jewelry, gold sinks beyond 3 inches in a matter of hours... if you can justify spending close to $200.00 to find change and rusty things go for it... I wouldn't its a like a small pulse detector so no discrimination..

I checked prices. It seems that it will cost $184 + 5% GST = $193.20

It might be better to put in another $400 and get a proper MD that can be broken down and transported in a small suitcase.

Which MD do you folks recommend for beach hunting? Something in the $400 - $600 range (it has to be able to be broken down).

J
Take a look at the Detector Pro Wader. The electronics are in the headset.

a single ring could pay it self off. i would go for it after all it's not as if you will use it all that much no reason to pay BIG $$$$$$$ for a PI machine and im sure you could sell the probe for 75% of what you paid for it if it does not work out.

I would really think twice about that detector for your intended purpose. I thought the exact same thing when I first saw it. Once a year on my Hawaiian vacation I like to hunt the surf line right on the beach. A larger detector like my Excalibur is a little difficult to wrangle in that environment. The problem with the "little guy" is it will only detect what you almost touch with it. In a real world environment I was concerned it would not "measure" up. Most of my surf finds are tricky to locate even with a larger coil and ample detection distance. Also consider the fact that you will be limited to either diving down to touch the detector to the ground under water, or only swimming as deep as your arm can reach. I would probably lean toward buying an inexpensive used machine more suited to the task. But on the fourth hand, far be it from me to deny someone the joy of a new toy. :D HH

Is it worth it?

Hi,

I think you folks are right. The Vibra-Tector probably won't produce any finds on a beach since most metals worth anything will sink below 3". Also the coil is so small and discrimination unset that everything would have to be dug up.

I checked out the Detector Pro Headhunter - Wader:http://losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=lt19990140

It seems like it might be a poor buy though. Anybody have any opinions or experience using a Wader? Is it worth the money for convenience of fitting it into a suitcase?

Please advise.

J

Hi,

I think you folks are right. The Vibra-Tector probably won't produce any finds on a beach since most metals worth anything will sink below 3". Also the coil is so small and discrimination unset that everything would have to be dug up.

I checked out the Detector Pro Headhunter - Wader:http://losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=lt19990140

It seems like it might be a poor buy though. Anybody have any opinions or experience using a Wader? Is it worth the money for convenience of fitting it into a suitcase?

Please advise.

J

Detector Pro is not a bad detector... I owned the Diver but because I'm a PI user anything with discrimination isn't for me water hunting :)

The guy who makes the DP series also made the Excalibur... it will serve the purpose you are asking it to...

Hi,

Please advise.

J

Cfmct is right on - the guy that makes those makes the most awesome headphones evvvvvaaaa and did some work for Minelab. Those metal detectors don't have a lot of feedback but I have never heard anything negative about them. It may be exactly what you need!

Did you check out the comparison chart? www.KellycoDetectors.com/compare <-- Put your wader in and compare it to others you're considering. It's super helpful!

DetectorPro Pulse

Hi,

There is a DetectorPro Pulse ($750) version. Would this be better than the DetectorPro Wader ($585) version that uses VLF Single Frequency?

Any thoughts?

J

Hi,

There is a DetectorPro Pulse ($750) version. Would this be better than the DetectorPro Wader ($585) version that uses VLF Single Frequency?

Any thoughts?

J

The pulse is way deeper than the Wader... do you want to dig it all? That is what you have to ask yourself... My hunting partner uses the HeadHunter pulse and does very well with it...

VLF versus PI

Thanks for the feedback.

The DetectorPro is only good in 6 ft of water. Wouldn't it be better to get something that can go deeper?

Or is it no worth getting something like a Tiger Shark because most finds are found in only 6 ft. of water?

What do you think?

J

Thanks for the feedback.

The DetectorPro is only good in 6 ft of water. Wouldn't it be better to get something that can go deeper?

Or is it no worth getting something like a Tiger Shark because most finds are found in only 6 ft. of water?

What do you think?

J

The Tiger Shark is fine as well... they must have changed the Wader because it was rated deeper than that... oh well... I think you will like the Tiger Shark... Isn't it cheaper than the Wader?

Cost vs. traveling

Hi,

I've looked at several models that work in salt water that are in the $600-$800 range:

Tesoro Tiger Shark ($759.95) - VLF Single Frequency
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II ($764.95) - Multiple Pulse Induction
Fisher 1280-X ($814.95) - VLF Single Frequency
DetectorPro Wader ($664.95) - VLF Single Frequency

Over $1000:

Minelab Excalibur II 800 ($1199.95) - VLF Multiple Frequency
Garrett Infinium LS ($1264.95) - Multiple Pulse Induction

My question are:

A. Do these break down easily to fit into a small suitcase?

B. Which one of above do you recommend?

C. Are there additional MD's that you would recommend that are in the $600-$800 range for beach/water hunting that are as good as these one's?

D. It would seem like the Garrett Sea Hunter MK II is the best value for money for beach/salt water hunting, as long as you are prepared to dig every target (backbreaking work). Do you agree?

J

Hi there
I would stay away form the detector pro for under water ,I got the PI great on land but leaked in 5 meters its supposed to be rated to 30 meters.
cant fault it on land but not for the water. the ear cups are prone to cracking.

I have ordered up a Vibra Tector 730 which should arrive soon.If it gets here tomorrow I will be coming to the pool for a leak test. the lightest full PI unit for underwater that i can find is by Ebinger in Germany if anyone has one I would appreciate a review

Back
Top Bottom