I hafto ask this question

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
So,I’ve been watching the news,same old riff raff going to jail,etc..Then Englands royal family comes on,and the spat they’re having with some of the family moving to Canada..
Soooo,I just don’t get the Queen and the royal family over there? I mean,they don’t do anything..They don’t enforce any rules,they hold no authority,no be heading going on,,just exactly why are all of the citizens of England paying for these people to live a lavish lifestyle? I mean,if I were a citizen of England I’d say the hell with that,let the Queen pay her own freakin way if she wants to be a status figure..I just don’t get it?
And they get away with it,lol..For Christ sakes this is 2020..I’m thinking for the English to be so proper they sure aren’t that intelligent..

Go over there Woody and visit. Take your detector. And take a lot of dough with you too. You’ll need. When I left there in 2003 half a pack of cigarettes 10 cigarettes, they don’t sell cigarettes with 20 to the box. They cost 4 pounds. That was around $6 US.

Cheers.

You "don't get it" because you weren't born into the social structure of England, or the United Kingdom, as it's known today. Those folks have been around a lot longer than our governmental system, and as such, perhaps we shouldn't pass judgement on what works for them.
We broke away from that system due to what King George was doing 245 years ago, and started our own grand experiment, and it ended up working for us.
As far as the royals living a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the citizens, (more accurately, subjects of the crown), perhaps again, we shouldn't pass judgement. Aren't our own governmental "royals" (if you will), treating themselves to a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the citizens here?

Ours not to reason why, but perhaps just to accept.

I'll refrain from stepping any closer to politics.

I will say this, though. Why in heck can't the media just leave them alone? I suggest the media is partly at fault for the problems we're seeing in the royal family.

Roger

It’s the heart of the country.
It’s the status of the country and the respect of the country.
It’s the backbone of the country and if you remove the backbone of the country.
I think it’s great for the country.

Doug

The two that want to leave have suddenly realized that, gasps, people are still racist? How could that be in this day and age?
I don't blame them for wanting to leave...

When I was there in the mid-late 70's there was an older gentleman who did the janitorial work around the barracks. I asked him one time why all the Englishmen wore sport jackets (tweed) all the time. Even the guys doing road work and other rough/dirty jobs. He said "because you never know when the Queen might drive by and you should look your best for the Queen".

They have this deep rooted love and respect for the royal family that makes no sense to us.

So,I’ve been watching the news,same old riff raff going to jail,etc..Then Englands royal family comes on,and the spat they’re having with some of the family moving to Canada..
Soooo,I just don’t get the Queen and the royal family over there? I mean,they don’t do anything..They don’t enforce any rules,they hold no authority,no be heading going on,,just exactly why are all of the citizens of England paying for these people to live a lavish lifestyle? I mean,if I were a citizen of England I’d say the hell with that,let the Queen pay her own freakin way if she wants to be a status figure..I just don’t get it?
And they get away with it,lol..For Christ sakes this is 2020..I’m thinking for the English to be so proper they sure aren’t that intelligent..

I do get it.
Mind the situation. His mom (Lady Diana) died by intrusive media. Now his wife is overwalked by the intrusive media.
When that happened with his mom he was still a young kid.

I do get that. He still is human same as we are. He still has feelings, emotions, and in more worse case could even get some kind of PTST as we can.

I myself would not want to be a Prince or otherwise known person or very rich (with all risks). You can never go anywere anonymous, never relaxed, without being recognized and without being harassed. You can never piss in the bushes anymore although the need is high. I wouldn't swop with him if i got the chance.
I guess he get's it more then you do, that being Prince isn't always heaven. And he can know.

And HE did NOT had the choice for fame or not. That's where his stork landed.
Get it some more??

My brother had some friends visit from England. They said the youth are not fans of the monarchy like in the past.
For what its worth I heard at work that she was welcomed while dating and during the engagement. Their real reason for leaving was something else and they're playing the race card as an excuse. I really don't give a flying ffkk what they do.

I wasn't referring to to any of the drama the Royal family goes through, or any one individual of the Royal family in my original post.
What I was basically saying was what purpose does the entire Royal family serve to the people in return for England supporting them so they can live a lavish lifestyle? I mean from what I gather all the individuals in the Royal family get millions a year in tax payer money for doing what? Waving? Lol

Most countries which have Royal families are worldwide known and judged for being stable.

That's highly important and good for economics, for both worldwide as for that country itself.
You can see it as some kind of good advertising for a country, and good advertising cost money. What is some miljons costs on a many biljons annual revenue from a country? From a business financially point of view, on the total costs-side from a country those royal costs aren't that huge at all but almost negligible.

That stability is exactly the reason why this situation happening now brings so much excitement everywhere, as it could be seen as a message of less stablility.

I would be interested in hearing what our kindly King Totsalot's take is on this but unfortunately he hasn't been on the forum since before the holidays . I hope everything is ok with him . As far as the monarchy in Britain , I would say it's a way for them to have a present link to their history and a lot of the citizenry there seem to enjoy it . As far as the cost to the British taxpayers I would bet the existence of the Monarchy thing helps bring in tourist dollars .
In Britain the monarchy and the politicians co- exist like in California whereas the politicians and the Drag Queens co-exist .Seems like a lot of folks need heroes and leaders of some kind , to each his own .

I had to edit this in as it seems beest and I share a similar opinion on the Monarchy and its economic influence . I was unaware of his previous post and did not mean to plagiarize on his thoughts .

You could take the time to read up on how it's all financed. It's not as simple as the taxpayers footing the bill for fancy hats and ceremonies.

It should not come as a huge shock that--through hundreds of years of family inheritances--the royal family has significant real estate and other income producing private assets. It's a bit late now to take back what isn't "really theirs". They would be far from paupers if it came to an end.

For example, the Queen gives all profits from large portions of her family's holdings to the government. In the amount of a couple hundred million a year. In exchange, the government spends 15% of that amount on the royal family. As other's have mentioned, the tourism industry around the royal family also creates tax dollars.

You're also not used to thinking about the difference between a Head of a State (the Queen) versus the head of a country's government (the prime Minister) because you're used to a position that is both (the president).

It's an over simplification to say the Queen has no authority and doesn't do anything. If nothing else, the members of the Royal family free up their Prime Minister from many of the State's ceremonial/cultural duties.

Clearly, there are good arguments against members from one "royal" family being the perpetual Head of the State, and good arguments for how else that role could be filled.

Last edited:
I do get it.
Mind the situation. His mom (Lady Diana) died by intrusive media. Now his wife is overwalked by the intrusive media.
When that happened with his mom he was still a young kid.

I do get that. He still is human same as we are. He still has feelings, emotions, and in more worse case could even get some kind of PTST as we can.

Losing your Mom at 52 is rough enough, I couldn't imagine losing your Mom at 12. His Mom would still be here if it wasn't for the media and being a royal. I'm sure that would make any 12 year old wish he had been born a regular guy. Throw in Camilla and I think it messed up that kids head more than we will ever know.

I can understand Meghan's role in this to. It can't be easy to go from being rich, successful, and independent to having someone tell you what you can do and wear, what you can say and who you can say it to.

It's an over simplification to say the Queen has no authority and doesn't do anything.

Exactly. :thumbsup: In usual daily life the country is rulled by the government. But stil has influence in the background in the general direction to be followed (not the details), and has specific veto rights in the event of crises like war and so on.
All build in in constitutional law.

It is not that they are just "cute faces". They certainly have an important role. Although they still are human and can have human shortcomings, on which the media jumps like tigers.
And for that they are highly limited in their living space. Why i can understand this situation and would never want to swop. Not even for double his income.

Can you imagine Prince Harry detecting a randomness field or playground?? Relaxed on his own? Without a batallion guards and servants? :laughing:
He wouldn't have to post his finds or hunting story on a forum, as they would automatically appear in worldwide newspapers and magazines. :laughing:

No way i want to swap. :no: :nono: FREEDOM!! :excited:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom